It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:19

New Topic Add Reply
Phillipson Thread colors
Post 17 Sep 2018, 11:55 • #1 
Hi Guys ~ New to this forum,I recentely picked up a Phillipson MF-80 ,It has yellow wraps and I would like to swap out the stripper for a larger 12mm,Can anyone tell me if there is a close match with any YLI or gudebrod/fishhawk threads of this color? I'd rather not re-wrap the entire rod but will if need be,Any help with this color is appreciated.Thanks ~ Rick

Post 17 Sep 2018, 19:48 • #2 
Master Guide
I’ve never had a yellow thread wrapped Philipson myself, but I suspect that if you reached out to Rick’s Rods in Colorado, they’d steer you right.

Post 17 Sep 2018, 22:41 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
A picture of the existing wrap would be good. One looks like a bright yellow and another a translucent yellow. Matching thread color of an old rod is an art. The color depends on how the rod has aged. A spool of matching thread might still not match the existing wraps.

Post 18 Sep 2018, 06:57 • #4 
It's the bright yellow,I'll reach out to Rick's Rods

Post 19 Sep 2018, 07:22 • #5 
Pic of wrapImage

Post 19 Sep 2018, 07:47 • #6 
Master Guide
I would try Fishhawk's goldenrod and then seal it with a few coats of spar. The goldenrod is a bit brighter than the wrap, but the spar should take it down just a bit.

Post 19 Sep 2018, 07:51 • #7 
Thanks Matt I'll take a look at that,The thread looks bigger than size A looks more like rope lol,I'll probably end up doing the whole rod.

Post 19 Sep 2018, 08:34 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
What you are looking at is not thread.
The material is a Plastic Strand or if you like Vinyl Strand,The materiel was made by Danville Thread Co.
Rick has been out of this material for as long as I can remember.
The best way to approach this is to very carefully unwrap the guide you want to change,salvage the Vinyl Strand and reuse it to wrap the new guide.

The wrap on the guide looks fine why are you changing the guide again ? If your changing the guide just because you think the rod needs a bigger stripping guide,Better to rethink this and go fish the rod as it is before you start re-engineering Bill Phillipson's Guide sizing and placement.

Why is it everyone knows better than the Masters ???

Tight Lines And If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It Loops
Andy M

Post 19 Sep 2018, 09:41 • #9 
Master Guide
If the masters wrapped their guides with plastic, then it seems to me there is at least a little room for improvment ;)

Post 19 Sep 2018, 10:03 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
If it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it either. I guess if the color isn't appealing cosmetically, that might be a reason to rewrap the whole rod. Or if it needed rewrapping but you liked the look, size D bright yellow thread might yield a similar look.

As to changing hardware, conventional taste today is for large stripping guides. They offer little to no advantage in rods used as yours was designed to be used--for comfortable casting at practical fly-fishing distances with double taper or WF lines. At least give it a try. The smaller diameter affords better line control because there is less slop to the first guide in every motion of fly-fishing, such as -stripping and mending line, keeping in touch with the fly during a drift, and so on. Casting is a small part of fly fishing, but your line hand will become more adept as a gathering guide as well, and both pick up and maintaining tension will be more precise. Less slop to the line hand; it is just that simple.

Of course there is no museum piece obligation of preservation, so you will suit yourself in the end. I just think it is worthwhile trying and understanding the configuration before modifying it.

Thanks for showing.

Post 19 Sep 2018, 12:16 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
It's only original once, at least try fishing it once before messing with the guides. You might find you like it after all.

As for wrapping materials, I have done this stuff for too long to think a material did not become popular because it did not function properly. Availability and cost as well as just plain fashion and style were probably more contributing factors than functionality in this case.

Generally, Phillipson knew what he was doing, and was not constrained by tradition when it came to building fishing rods.

Post 19 Sep 2018, 12:24 • #12 
Thanks for the info,I appreciate it,I'll probably leave it alone for a while ,It does seem to cast nicely with whats on it.For now I'll probably just give the wraps an insurance coat of varnish or permagloss as a couple seem a little loose.Thanks again

Post 19 Sep 2018, 13:37 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Good choice go fish the rod I'll bet you love it just the way it is.
Stay away from Permagloss for this application it may melt the Vinyl Strand.
I always use water based products on the Vinyl Strand.

Quote:
Generally, Phillipson knew what he was doing, and was not constrained by tradition when it came to building fishing rods.

You could sure say that again Bill Phillipson was an amazing rod maker whom was way ahead of his time.

The Vinyl Strand was used in several colors Including Dark Brown,Kelly and Dark Green,Light Tan,Bright Yellow and Black.
The stuff is basically indestructible as long as it's maintained.

I had most of the Phillipson wrapping materials on hand,for many years I was considered one of the go to people if not the go to person for Phillipson Rod repairs.
Due to health issues I was forced to stop taking in rod work some time back now.

Tight Lines And Phillipson Worlds Finest Loops
Andy M

Post 19 Sep 2018, 19:46 • #14 
Thank for you great information Andy , would minwax polycrylic be a good choice you think for the wraps since it’s a water base?

Post 22 Sep 2018, 15:36 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Your very welcome my pleasure to help when I can !
Quote:
would minwax polycrylic be a good choice

Excellent choice for a protective coating over the Vinyl Strand.
Tight Lines And Bill Phillipson's Innovation Loops
Andy M

New Topic Add Reply