It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:32

New Topic Add Reply
Decorative Thread Wraps
Post 14 Sep 2018, 20:28 • #1 
Sport
I've never done any decorative thread wraps before but I'm thinking about doing a short length of diamond wraps on my next rod. I only make fly rods and I've only ever seen decorative butt wraps on spinning/casting rods but I think it'd look alright on a fly rod if kept somewhat small conservative. My question is, if you add decorative butt wraps, where do you sign the rod since the wraps would cover the area where you'd normally sign and put the rod info? I'm guessing you could sign it above the wraps but I've never seen that before so I don't know if that's standard operating practice.

Post 14 Sep 2018, 20:54 • #2 
Master Guide
I’ve seen it done above 5he wrap which is ok as long as both the wrap and info are shorter. I’ve also seen 5he info done as a decal and put on the reel seat under where the reel would sit. Kind of weird but......?

Post 02 Oct 2018, 13:27 • #3 
If you do decorative wraps on a fly rod, don't try and sell it. The owner of the local fly shop here in Albuquerque, NM did one on a Sage blank and he put it up for sale at $800.00. He's had it on sale for a long time and has dropped the price to $575.00 and no one will buy it still. I guess fly fishermen don't go too much for the snazzy stuff! I don't, anyway! Think Stealth! The best bet for fly rods is color inlays and tipping the wraps a different color. I did a rod one time that had 5 coats of color preserver on the wraps and they still came out marbled looking. Wish I knew how to make it happen when I want it to!

Post 03 Mar 2024, 11:03 • #4 
Piscator
I was looking for a place to put this, maybe others have examples to follow.
For a "What's Your Cadillac Reel?" thread on BR gear forum, my discussion of custom round reels also linked "Japan Underground" offset grips and custom rod blades.
Woven "signature" wraps are pretty common on custom bait and surf rods.
This Ichiro Kuramochi effort arrived and sold out over the past few weeks at Headhunters Lure Shop in Japan.

Post 03 Mar 2024, 14:41 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
" only ever seen decorative butt wraps on spinning/casting rods" "If you do decorative wraps on a fly rod, don't try and sell it."

What are all those useless diamonds on Fenwick fly rods? they sold millions of them.
Lots of rod builders of both 'glass and cane rods used multiple decorative wraps in the signature area, so many in fact that they are referred to as "signature wraps."
Of course fashions change over time, there was a time when many fly rods were covered in Mylar too.

Post 03 Mar 2024, 16:15 • #6 
Piscator
I tend to like simple wraps on my fly rods, too - here Edwards signature wraps made by Dwight Lyons on a Sceptre blank.

I pick my Japanese bait rods because of the action I'm after - should they come with prismatic mylar, well, it grows on you.

Post 04 Mar 2024, 17:25 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I am another one for simple, straightforward wraps on a blank. Less is more in my book.

Post 05 Mar 2024, 09:27 • #8 
Piscator
A thread like this seems like an opportunity for more than venting opinion.
Sharing inspiration, maybe.

Post 05 Mar 2024, 15:03 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51649&p=423763&hilit=spirals#p423763

Post 19 Mar 2024, 12:19 • #10 
Master Guide
less is more on a fly rod, put thread where its needed.

Post 20 Mar 2024, 07:09 • #11 
Piscator
I'll never understand why people think contrary opinion is as interesting as photos.

New Topic Add Reply