It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:24

New Topic Add Reply
Rod coloring
Post 14 Sep 2018, 08:00 • #1 
Guide
I have this white blank - painted white - with an originally black blank underneath it. It was a gift and I like the action but I really hate the white color, particularly since the ends of the sections are unpainted so as to require wrapping. The unfortunate thing is, I can't think of a thread that will hide the difference from black to white. I tend to prefer my rods look continuous. So the question becomes, what can I use to paint the blank and unify the appearance? Whatever the finish is, it's very hard and smooth (a urethane?) I'm very leery of sanding it down for fear of damaging the glass underneath, and a razor didn't give me much luck because of the hardness of the finish.

Thoughts?

Last edited by toothybugs on 14 Sep 2018, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Rod coloring
Post 14 Sep 2018, 08:11 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Try a citrus type stripping product; just to be conservative, try it on the last couple inches of the butt first. If you are correct that it has been finished over, then you will have the original black, which will be further cleaned and buffed and should take a coat of paint to your liking well.

Use the search function here to see a variety of ways to strip and refinish a blank; in the process, you may be able to better determine the nature of the original protective finish(es), what is underneath and the margin of error before the fibers of the blank are actually damaged, which sounds like it would be pretty hard to do. A close look at the very end of the butt may show you what layers are there and what the actual color of the 'glass layup is.

Have fun; you can get a very good result stripping and painting a blank--and with very little risk, especially since you don't like it as it is.

Post 14 Sep 2018, 08:35 • #3 
Guide
I soaked a rag in MEK then let it sit for a while. The finish didn't even soften which really surprised me. I work in the coatings industry; normally that rips up a finish in a hurry. I'll give the citrus idea a whirl and see how it goes. Worst case, I can be gentle with some 320 and take my time with it.

Last edited by toothybugs on 14 Sep 2018, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Sep 2018, 08:36 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
sure there are other products, but i've used citristrip to remove paint from glass blank. it works well.

Post 14 Sep 2018, 11:50 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
in your favorite search engine type "paint strip removal rod site:fiberglassflyrodders.com" and will get back about 3000 posts on this forum.

Post 14 Sep 2018, 21:24 • #6 
Master Guide
Citri Strip should take the white paint off. I have used it several times with good results. What I have done is take a cardboard shipping tube, cut it down the middle so you have 2 halves, line with aluminum foil, makes a long tray for blank. Let it sit for a bit and wash off. Depending on type of coating, might take a bit and a couple of drips back in the Citri Strip.

One tip, plug open ends of blank, cork or rubber stopper works great. Also, I'd do a test run on the butt section where your grip will go, just to see how much of a job it will be.

New Topic Add Reply