It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:29

New Topic Add Reply
Epoxy brands - viscosity
Post 01 Sep 2018, 13:57 • #1 
Guide
From what I've read, it seems like this is the order, from thickest to thinnest:

Flexcoat regular
Threadmaster regular
Diamond II
Flexcoat lite
Threadmaster lite

I haven't done enough research to include ProKote, Trondak, etc.

I've been using TML and really like it but it doesn't seem to ever get quite the super hard finish. It's tough but not the kinda hardness that the regular versions have. I've mixed a lot of batches and have syringes and I'm 99.9% sure nothing is contaminated. Seems like I read that Diamond does get really hard clear finish and might actually have a little more pot life (which seems counter-intuitive if it's thicker).

Wondering what your experience is. BTW not asking "which is best?", just looking for observations by those who've used multiple ones. Not that I'm not open to suggestions, but pretty settled on what properties I'm looking for. Thanks!

Post 01 Sep 2018, 19:45 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have used all but Diamond II, of course. I agree with your ranking. I’m not sure what level of hardness you are searching for; I started with and still use spar so just about any epoxy seems solid to me.

I use Threadmaster lite most of all these days. Long pot life, thins better than Flexcoat in my opinion, and still kicks even when thinned a great deal, as for transparent wraps. You will have to leave it on the turner a couple of days for really thinned finishes. It smells worse than Flexcoat.

Flexcoat doesn’t thin as well In my experience and has a shorter pot life. Good finish overall.

Post 02 Sep 2018, 18:32 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
It's all pretty much the same stuff.
In my experiences it's best to work with one brand and master all the little nuances and stick with it .
When you get really good who made the stuff your working with will make no difference at all.
I like the U40 Best only because it's what I have on hand.
Tight Lines And Epoxied Loops
Andy M

Post 04 Sep 2018, 17:12 • #4 
Guide
Yep, agreed it's "pretty much" the same... but still not exactly. With TM, I can already tell that regular gets to a final hardness than the lite version. I have kind of settled into it but figured I'd put it out there since I have read some good things about Diamond's pot life. I tend to avoid thinning products and I'm still not fast enough with applying, which is why I've been using TM Lite. In the end I may have to just try the Diamond myself but still interested in more opinions.

Post 02 Oct 2018, 13:36 • #5 
Go to a wood worker supply store and get a product called Crystal Sheen. It is two part and doesn't yellow with time because it is used on table tops and such. I use it on all my wraps but silk, then I use Al's Wrap Rite (get it at Angler's Workshop).

Post 05 Nov 2018, 10:58 • #6 
Guide
Circling back on this and address what I said about TM lite vs regular...

I got a new batch of TM Lite and I feel like it hardens better than my original batch of the same. Not sure why (maybe I did something to it) but as it is, I'm really happy with the product. It even seems to have a better pot life.

New Topic Add Reply