It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:12

New Topic Add Reply
To Stint or Not To Stint
Post 18 Aug 2018, 14:57 • #1 
Sport
I'm working on my first fiberglass rod at the moment, a 4 weight McFarland. I have a REC reel seat w/cocobolo insert that I want to fit to the blank but the butt is 0.402" OD and the ID of the insert is only 0.375" (3/8"). The insert OD is 0.616" so if I drilled/opened the ID to 7/16" (0.4375") that would only leave me a wall about 0.089" if I'm doing my math correctly. I think that would be enough but I was wondering what others thought. I also thought about using one of Proof's stints if the wall thickness would be too thin and might split. Opinions would be appreciated.

Also, just curious, but are there any downsides to using a stint? It shouldn't affect the strength of the blank since the handle is above the reel seat, the stint is solid, and also it'd be epoxied into the butt making for a very strong joint. Seems like it'd be easy enough to install one.

Thanks, Gene

Post 18 Aug 2018, 15:23 • #2 
Master Guide
You can go either way. Given the rod is a 4wt. the seat shouldn't receive too much stress, so a thin wall on the insert should hold. On the other hand, the added weight of the stint can help balance the rod and you can be sure the insert will not crack on you. Here is a video demonstrating how to install a stint if you decide to use one:

https://www.proofflyfishing.com/collect ... reel-seats

Post 18 Aug 2018, 15:36 • #3 
Sport
Thanks Matt. I ordered a couple stints and some other stuff from you in case I decide to go that route. Even if I don't use one on this blank I'll need them for one down the road sooner or later since I've got a lot of glass rods on the to-do list.

Post 19 Aug 2018, 00:25 • #4 
Sport
I had the same problem recently, and hadnt heard of using stints - until I saw them on Matt's website. Awesome solution, and real easy to fit. And I just wasnt comfortable with drilling out the insert anymore than it already was, for the same reasons you are.

Post 19 Aug 2018, 05:53 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Drilling out the insert that thin would be risky because it could easily break while drilling if the bit catches in the grain of the wood (ask me how I know). Stints are easy and you can use a piece of old rod, graphite or glass, or a hardwood dowel. A dowel can be tapered slightly using sandpaper and drill press or lathe if you have one.

Post 19 Aug 2018, 13:03 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
There is no problem using a stent. Some people get queasy cutting a blank but if you are careful, it isn't a problem. You have to be careful not to crush the blank, but it doesn't have to be neat. It's going to be hidden under cork and a reel seat.

If you have a large diameter blank (meaning non-graphite), you can get an insert that is sized correctly. If you are ordering from Belenger or REC, the inserts they come in different diameters (see www.realseats.com). If you are willing to eat the shipping costs, I expect you could send your insert back and get a larger bore (or just buy one for a larger bore). Given the other costs in the rod, that might be justified.

Ron at Southwest custom tackle sells Lemke seats and will turn an insert for you for any seat. Ron also will warn you when the insert is too thin and you should use a stent. I'm sure there are other people around who would turn a seat for you, but Ron has a lot of experience at it.

Post 19 Aug 2018, 13:16 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I now use stints regularly when building rods. I use mostly cork for inserts and having a thicker wall allowed by stints eliminates any concerns I have. I do wrap the area to be cut with masking tape, minimizing any splintering. Roy

Post 19 Aug 2018, 16:03 • #8 
Master Guide
Hello, use a stint there really easy to do and it saves allot unnecessary work. To drill out/ weaken the insert is only asking for problems. I have several rods I have stints in and they work fine. Cutting some off the butt section is no big deal and again very easy to do .

Post 20 Aug 2018, 20:20 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
OK, I've had enough.

Stent, Stent, Stent, Stent.

Sorry for the interruption.

Post 22 Aug 2018, 13:13 • #10 
Master Guide
i love me some stint. fyi, the orange fiberglass sticks they sell at the hardware to mark the end of your drive way work really well, they tend to splinter a bit when cut but the size is spot on for most med to lite rods.

New Topic Add Reply