It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:43

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Aug 2018, 13:52 • #1 
Greetings everyone:

This is my first post on this forum after lurking around for a while.

I have built several rods (none within the last five years). I am probably most proud of my 7'6" Lamiglass Spring Creek four weight. My first build was a six foot two weight. I used Permagloss as a coating on the thread wraps. In fishing the rod a few times, it has dawned on me that the guide spacing is way out of whack. I would like to re-wrap the rod, but was curious as to how I would go about removing guide wraps sealed with U-40.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Andrew

Post 17 Aug 2018, 14:00 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve done it just by using a razor to cut the thread over the guide feet, then peeling it off. Residue dealt with by the edge of an old credit card or plastic knife back. If I recall correctly, the wraps peeled away from the blank rather easily.

Welcome to the forum!

Post 17 Aug 2018, 14:20 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
As suggested, cut the wraps over the guide feet. But, I would suggest you first warm the wraps with a hair dryer.

Post 18 Aug 2018, 07:23 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The hardest part will be where there are no wraps. The wraps actually help lift the finish off the rod. Just cut along the top of the guide foot as the others have mention and lift the thread off. If you can get a thread started, you can unwrap the rest of the wrapping.

When you get to where there is permagloss on the blank, but no thread (the edges), take your time and decide when enough is enough. Permagloss is going to stick really well and getting it all off may not be possible. It also has the potential to lift the finish. Luckily Permagloss is usually applied thinly so just leaving it there is often ok. Moving guides always has the problem of leaving the old guide location visible. Just don't go into this thinking you are going to completely hide that.

Post 18 Aug 2018, 07:57 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
My experience is that you will be able to see where the old wraps were, so you may not be happy with the appearance.

New Topic Add Reply