It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:35

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Aug 2018, 19:40 • #26 
Sport
I built up a 3-piece 3 weight Fisher 6 1/2 ' black glass rod this winter and have used it on my favorite Driftless creek this season. It's a real pleasure to cast with 5 ft of line out the tip to about 30'. Bushwacking with this rod is sooo much easier than with my usual 7 1/2 footer.

Post 10 Aug 2018, 21:05 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Bamboozle wrote:
Bottom line, I always opt for the longest rod I can use without hassle wherever I go. I don't fish anything under 6"6" for the fun of it 'cause it really isn't that much fun when something longer works MUCH better.

Bamboozle captured my feelings on this. I really don't like fishing with a rod smaller than 7' and 7'9" is the smallest that I would start to consider as an all around rod.

However if you are in tight streams a 5' rod might be necessary, but it had better roll cast and cast with just the leader out. Just don't expect it to be fun when you are actually casting over 25 ft.

Post 10 Aug 2018, 21:53 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
I’m with Bamboozle too. I’ve never felt the need for a rod much shorter than about 7ft. My shortest rod is 6’10”. And I have fished creeks that most people say are not flyfishable. With the undergrowth we have in Michigan, fishing can get pretty damn tight. The shorter the rod becomes past 7ft, the less pleasurable it is to cast for me too.

Post 10 Aug 2018, 22:36 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
If you check out the recent pictures posted by Robert on the fishing forum, you will see a small enough creek that cries out for a very short rod. A 6ft Steffen fit the bill admirably.

Post 10 Aug 2018, 23:19 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
retiredfisher1 wrote:
If you check out the recent pictures posted by Robert on the fishing forum, you will see a small enough creek that cries out for a very short rod. A 6ft Steffen fit the bill admirably.

“Cries out for a very short rod.” Your kidding, right? That looks W-I-D-E open compared to the stuff I fish my 7 footer in. There is no canopy there. You could fish as long a rod as you want. If your choice is a 6 footer, fine, but I’d be fishing that with something over 7 1/2 ft, probably 8ft or more to mend around the rocks and get better drifts. We must be fishing very differently if that looks like 6 ft rod water to you guys.

Post 11 Aug 2018, 07:46 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
If I could be bothered setting up a new photo hosting account I would post pictures of a few creeks I fish with my really short rods that border on the ridiculous. I call those streams 'tip wigglers" because ANY casting is impossible on 90% of the creek and that includes bow & arrow or roll casts.

The only way I have found to present line is to walk along the creek through the woods and peeking in occasionally looking for likely holding spots. When I find one (which has to be fished downstream) I poke the rod tip through the rhododendron till I know it is over the water and pull about 4 feet of line off the reel, (and of course the leader & fly) and hold it in my hand. Then I THROW it through the opening in the rhododendron on to the water.

After throwing, I immediately strip and wiggle to pay out line downstream. It works but as you can imagine, it can be an EXTREMELY frustrating way to fish for more than about a few hours but when you hike in a few miles only to find out you are on a "tip wiggler" creek, you either figure out a way or go home. ;)

Funny thing though, a longer rod works better here too because it allows you to stand further from the edge of the bank even though walking through the woods with it totally sucks and you can't cast with it IF you find a place where you could with a 5' rod.

Go figure...

Last edited by Bamboozle on 11 Aug 2018, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Aug 2018, 12:00 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Right on, Bamboozle! 7ft or longer is all you need. And it’s as short as I would ever want. With the right techniques, I’ve never wanted anything shorter. By the way, a great rod for that kind of fishing is a Fenwick FF70 or FF70-4, still one of the best small stream rods ever made. I have lighter weight 7 footers but the FF70 is more versatile as a 6wt especially if you run into big fish hiding from the crowds. And yet it has a great action for enjoying the fight of smaller fish.

I’m getting too old and fat to enjoy that kind of fishing like I once did. It’s hard work yet very satisfying. But I still like to do it a time or two a year where I know there is the chance of finding a big fish lying in wait.

Post 11 Aug 2018, 13:17 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
I built a 5'-6wt for my oldest son when he was five years old and he fished it about five years til his sister stepped on it, it was OK out to abut 25' of line. My shortest useful rod is 7'9" but I'd try a 7', any shorter would be going away from fun and into perversity, imo, I like 8' best as an all 'round and I have knelt in 6" of water and used just the tip half of my 8'er to flick a leader and fly under the willows to some 7" brookies; that has happened half dozen times in forty years so I wouldn't want to carry around a 4' rod for those odd times.

Post 11 Aug 2018, 13:39 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
While I don't go below 7'0" often, I have a 6'6" 3wt Winston Retro that I just adore that can throw 60 feet or more if need be and a 6'6" 4wt Orvis Flea bamboo that is another treasure that I'd be hard pressed to give up.

Where I live & fish both get a LOT of use and are a blast to fish so for me, going below 7 feet happens all the time. Going below 6'6" is the rarity.

Ironically the first fly rod I ever owned was a 5' 4wt, 1 piece graphite custom rod built for me at a local tackle shop. I fished it everywhere and didn't know it was too short until someone told me. ;)

Post 11 Aug 2018, 17:31 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I think the problem with small rods is there is a lot of them out there that aren't worth a carp.Now if I can only find one under 6'.........aurelio
I'm with Roy the 6' 2/3 Steffen is awesome in the brush or open on a small stream.
I have had a 7' 2/3 a 8' 5/6 and still have a 7'6" 3/4 and I feel that the little 6 footer is the best designed rod I have had in my hands for what it can do.

Last edited by aurelio corso on 11 Aug 2018, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Aug 2018, 17:45 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
I have one of the famous fly atom 4'6 glass 6wt rods.It will cast a 6wt dt about 30 feet.A higher back cast is required but i have no real difficulty.I never fish it but lawn cast it now and then.It is quite fun to cast such a small fly rod..It was new in the tube when i acquired it.I have 2 wonderod 910 ul 6wt rods.my new favorites.They easily cast 40' plus and have caught lots of big bluegills this year.I do a much different type of fishing than most of you.My if i can only keep one rod is a 7' Phillipson fly fox.I use it for panfish bass smaller carp and even caught a catfish a couple weeks ago.

Post 11 Aug 2018, 19:40 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
I have a creek just a few yards out the front door, and a typical hour or two of fishing might result in one or two actual "casts" most of the time is just kind of a roll cast/ tip flip. I have a 7'9" Wonderod that I have been using on this crick the last couple years, when I have tried shorter rods I just end up PO at the spots I can't quite reach.

I remember how cute I thought those 5'3" Fenwicks were, man, I WANTED one, and how fast I sold it after I fished in once.....

Post 11 Aug 2018, 20:43 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
The 5'3" fenwick was a broomstick so was the first generation Steffen 6' 2/3 but like you majicwrench I do a lot of flipping and roll casting and it took a long time to find short rods that can do that really well.......aurelio

Post 12 Aug 2018, 06:39 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
the Japanese do short really well.

Post 12 Aug 2018, 07:03 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
corlay wrote:
the Japanese do short really well.
Yup. The Airrite rods are very nice.

Post 12 Aug 2018, 11:37 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
ARReflections,I think you had a F2 653 at one time and I really like the pack size of the Airrite but how is your new one in a little wind........aurelio

Thanks for the PM

Post 12 Aug 2018, 15:24 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
It handles the same wind conditions as a 5 wt line. Any windier then I step up to a 7wt rod.

I believe RSage also had the 10 piece and also felt it was faster than the 6 piece.

Post 14 Aug 2018, 05:36 • #43 
Guide
I have used the A&F 44 Banty on farm ponds. They cast surprisingly well when used with the original Banty line which was a Gladding short taper #5 (front loaded) with a Dacron running line factory attached. The more modern front loaded lines designed for heavy flies or first time casters also work well.

Post 14 Aug 2018, 08:10 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
6footrod wrote:
I have used the A&F 44 Banty on farm ponds. They cast surprisingly well when used with the original Banty line which was a Gladding short taper #5 (front loaded) with a Dacron running line factory attached. The more modern front loaded lines designed for heavy flies or first time casters also work well.

That's great to know. I have the original line but I don't want to use it as I want to keep it intact. What line specifically do you recommend?

Post 14 Aug 2018, 10:43 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
This is a very interesting topic,a topic that has become controversial in the past.
Many of us have our set in stone ideas, limits that we set for no apparent reason other than possibly tradition or what are known guidelines set by someone else.

Unenlightened comments have been the norm rather than the exception when it comes to shorter small stream rods.
"No fly rod under 6' has any value or rods under a certain length are merely toys and have no real place".
The most ill informed comments are generalized comments about how short rods are no good for casts beyond 25' or some other ridiculously short distance.

When I hear these comments I know the people making them have never fished a top quality shorter small stream rod designed and made by a Master Rod Maker.
If They Had They Would Be Singing The Praises Of How Much Fun Little Shortie Rods Are To Fish.

This business of needing specialty fly lines is a bunch of hooey in my experiences as well,anyone cutting fly lines in half should fish the intended rod before cutting any lines as well.

My first encounter with little shorties was at a bamboo rod makers gathering when I was a teen back in the early 70's.
We were all chatting about the new lighter line weights as rods with lower line weights were becoming more popular,The Orvis 7' 3 Weight 1 Piece and the Farlows Wulff 6' 4 weight 1 Piece were gaining popularity.
One of the rods in the rack was a Sewell N. Dunton & Son Rod 6'6" 1 Piece with a early Skeleton reel and silk line.

The guys were all passing the rod around while we chatted,the rod really was one of those "Wow Factor Rods".
You know the rods that really stand out from the rest.
One of the guys pulled out a tip section from one of his rod tubes and lines it up with the reel in his pocket it was maybe a 4'6" tip from a 9' rod.
We all cast it as well and it was kinda close to the Dunton.

Next a guy started just casting line with no rod just his hand and we all changed the topic for a round or 2 to line dynamics,we had a few aerospace guys on hand and wow could those guys go on about the importance of cutting the atmosphere and stuff that absolutely can change your perspectives on fly rod efficiency's and such.

When we got back to little shorties or banty rods the realization was that a short rod does everything a long rod does only sooner because it's naturally shorter .
SOONER NOT FASTER.
Sorry for the caps but that's the big misconception that everyone makes when they transition to a shorter rod.
The reason most people can not get a short rod to cast beyond 25' is because of this misconception.

With a short rod everyone naturally tends to speed up their casting stroke because they think they need to go faster to make up for the lack of length.
It's just the opposite you need to slow down because everything is happening sooner.
When you slow down and stop forcing the rod the rod will perform at it's optimal dynamics.
At that point the only limitations the rod has is the skill of the operator to handle it properly.

I have been making small stream rods for many years and have show cased my little shortie rods at countless gatherings,Truly I couldn't begin to count how many times I've put a 5' 4 weight into someones hands only to watch them fumble around and declare the rod was junk.
Take the rod from them and with a few false casts lay out 50' of line effortlessly.
Hand them back the rod coach them for maybe 5 minuets, sometimes less,watch the yes light up with amazement when they cast the little rod effortlessly at great distance, most importantly at every distance in between as well.
"Wow" or "Holly Crap" is the most common reaction.

Can't begin to tell you how many little shortie 5' or 6' rods I've made for guys whom said they would never fish a rod under 7'. :eek

Shortest Practical Fly Rod ???
Depends On The Fisherman And The Fishing Conditions.

Most Practical Short Fly Rods
In my opinion are from 4' to 7' and for small streams 5' to 6' rods are best suited.
My Little 5'4" 3/4WT BROOKIE is lined up in my Van ready to go constantly, the rod is just so much fun it will load with just the leader and will throw 50' of line with such delicacy most would be astonished.

The short fly rod is not for everyone,for those whom don't have an appreciation I feel sorry,because you are missing out on allot of fun,missing challenges you would or possibly could never expect or apparently appreciate.
Next time you are on your way to your favorite fishing spot as you pass that little brook or creek you passed a 1000 times before dismissing and never stopping because it's so small.

STOP !!!!

Just think that with a open mind a little shortie rod and the right fly you may have just found your new ultimate challenge.A Challenge that may bring you renewed interest in our never ending quests for sport as Fly Fisherman or Women.

Tight Lines And Sooner Not Faster Little Shortie Loops
Andy M

Post 14 Aug 2018, 15:14 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
I don't have a problem casting a shorty, it is just such a poor fishing tool.

Post 14 Aug 2018, 16:05 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
The Sign Of A True Artist Is They Will Never Blame Their Tools For Obvious Shortcomings .
Tight Lines And Short Fiberglass Rods Rock Loops.
Andy M

Post 14 Aug 2018, 16:25 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
It's why I have really high quality tools. Nothing worse than working with junk.

Post 14 Aug 2018, 17:18 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Sir I Find Your Comments To Be Offensive And Quite Honestly In Very Poor Taste.
If You Have Such A Distaste For Short Fly Rods Why Would You Join This Conversation To Begin With ?
Obviously For No Other Reason Than To Derail The Conversation,Insult The Folks Whom Enjoy The Challenges That Small Fly Rods And Small Stream Fishing Avails Us.

Speaking Of Your Fishing Tools, I've actually seen Them First Hand,I have one on my bench right now in fact ,I'd have to say that honestly your fishing rods are among the worst taken care of rods I've ever seen during my nearly 5 decade run.
If your junk fishing rods are any indication I'd gather just about everything you touch has the same funk going on.
Seriously doubt you would know a quality tool if it hit you in the face and knocked you out !!!
I'd even be willing to bet that your so special that even with my Expert Coaching you would still be a pitiful little shortie caster and less than proficient small stream angler.

Recently you sent me messages asking how I was doing,you stated that the site was boring without me because there were few people worthy of arguing with.

I never participated here to argue with people only to share my passion for everything about fiberglass fly rodding.
Honest,True,Straightforward,Helpful,Generous,Kind,Innovative,Open Minded,Tough,Educational.
These are the terms I hope come to mind when people remember me.

Tight Lines And Who's The Jerk Loops
Andy M

Post 14 Aug 2018, 17:31 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Glad to see you are feeling your oats!!

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply