It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:09

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Aug 2018, 18:40 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
the way I see it, on small water:
if you like dapping, long rods are for you
if youl like casting, even in really tight quarters, small rods are the shizit.

there’s no “right” way to catch a trout!

Post 14 Aug 2018, 18:44 • #52 
Master Guide
Corlay, I think you nailed it.
I like to cast on small creeks so a short rod is often what I take.
Sometimes I wonder why I don't just dap, but, hey, I do what I like.

Post 14 Aug 2018, 19:25 • #53 
Guide
Not boring now on here with strong opinions and good banter.

I did cast a 6 ft bamboo rod that Chris Barclay had at the Carolina Conclave and I like it very much. Should of tried roll casting with it but then again casting on grass especially roll casting isn’t the same as on the water.

Post 14 Aug 2018, 19:26 • #54 
Master Guide
corlay wrote:
there’s no “right” way to catch a trout!

I agree with this!

Post 14 Aug 2018, 21:02 • #55 
Guide
Never had a reason for a short rod, but recently bought an old 6' at what I thought was a good price. Turned out needing some work figured I'd hang it on the wall but then it didn't look good so I thought what the heck the rod itself was near perfect so new guides stripper and tiptop (I broke it trying to straighten it out) and if it didn't work it would hang on the wall looking like new. Pleased to say it worked very well for me casting both short and long very well, don't have much use for a "short rod" but this one won't hang on the wall it's going with when ever I encounter tight fishing water.
This was a factory built rod, and I often wonder about some of the short rods seen on the big bid site as many to me look like something that didn't start life as a fly rod or were shortened from another length and I can only imagine what some those might cast like?

Post 15 Aug 2018, 01:03 • #56 
Glass Fanatic
Short water or big water, my experience has been I catch fish usually within 30ft regardless of throwing line past or within 30 ft. I fish a 6'9" rod that can easily throw a line 30 ft. My experience aligns with Andy's remark about taking time to allow a short rod to do its thing. It is a true joy that may not be experienced by the type A personality.

An argument could be made that a long rod is better for mending line. Is a spey rod then an even better rod for line mending?

An argument could be made that a long rod is better for nymphing or dapping. Luckily, I am fortunate to fish where a long branch from a tree and some mono line has allowed me to enjoy that type of fishing for a fraction of the investment for a nymphing or tenkara rod.

I used to caddy a long, long time ago and a consistent observation was golfers really loved to talk about having the latest club but producing only a marginal improvement to their score. I observed that the fantastic golfers used the same old clubs they had for a considerable long time; They learned to understand the club and worked with how the club hit the ball. The mediocre players with the high tech clubs continued with their bad form and swing since their clubs were designed to counter act their slice/draw.

You don't want to miss that fish of a life time because of not reaching that fish or poor line mend or rod not having with enough backbone or not enough backing or not enough reel drag or not throwing a tight loop or not getting the fly to the spot fast enough or ....

Marketing is great regardless of sport.

Post 15 Aug 2018, 17:15 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
Well, for those familiar with Blacktail Deer Creek in YNP and Commanche Creek in northern NM (think Aurelio!), I found my Steffen 6ft 2/3wt 2pc to be the perfect tool for both open and brushy creeks in recent visits to both. Roy

Post 15 Aug 2018, 19:06 • #58 
Master Guide
I'm with Bulldog in favoring the FF535 over the 605. It's why I got rid of my 605 and bought a back-up 535. It roll casts so much better than the 6 footer.

Another short rod I like is the Phillipson Master 6 and a half footer. It does an admirably good job at being an all-around fishing tool for such a short rod.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 04:50 • #59 
Guide
Glass Enthusiast wrote:
6footrod wrote:
I have used the A&F 44 Banty on farm ponds. They cast surprisingly well when used with the original Banty line which was a Gladding short taper #5 (front loaded) with a Dacron running line factory attached. The more modern front loaded lines designed for heavy flies or first time casters also work well.

That's great to know. I have the original line but I don't want to use it as I want to keep it intact. What line specifically do you recommend?

The Cortland Trout Boss (WF-5) will work just fine. A bit expensive but worth it for that rod IMHO.

t

Post 20 Sep 2018, 15:40 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
Fished a Scott 552 this year. It casts very well although it's at least a 3wt and just fine with a 5wt within its fishing range - which is not a bad thing. Haven't used it much as my personal preference is for longer rods. I can't really see many instances in which I'd want something shorter than 7' and I'll often carry a 7'9" into very tight places. I'm not accustomed to fishing such a short rod and I found myself missing strikes with it but I suppose I could learn to fish with it and even enjoy it in the right circumstances. For sure using a very short rod is a bit of a challenge, especially on difficult fish but it's not an impossible one.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 18:21 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
My new obsession is short wonderods.They are 5or 6 wts.I think they cast beautifully.As good as my 7ft phillipsons.The only rods over 7.5 are 8 and 9 wt glass bass bug rods.But i fish probably much different than you trout guys.Think warm still water ,weed beds brush downed trees bad casting angles.The fly must be animated or swum by the angler.Short mid weight rods really shine in this type of fishing.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 12:47 • #62 
Sport
My first glass rod was a Hardy The Aln 5ft 2wt but I've only fished it once because the week after I bought a Hardy The Test which I've been using more just in the space of the last 4 weeks. I've been using 6ft 3wt carbon fibre for the last 5 years, didn't know anything under 7ft was seen as too short until reading this. I'm not fishing a reservoir so I don't care.

Post 28 Sep 2018, 18:07 • #63 
I have a 5'8" Loomis that is one piece and casts a 3 weight just great! I used to have a 5'7" bamboo that was nice too, but someone stole it out of my car. As far as how they cast in regards to the longer rods I say its not the rod so much as the guy casting it (that'll raise some hackles)! Anyway, that's my nickels worth!

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply