It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:58

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Jul 2018, 10:32 • #1 
Sport
Hi all,

I'm a long-time reader but first time poster. I've learned a lot as I've gotten into fishing, and recently building fiberglass rods over the last two years.

Anyway, I have a Steffen 4/5 that I built about a year ago, and I decided to go with a down locking reel seat. It is my only rod with a down locker and I like the way it balances, but I'm having issues with it working loose as I fish. I'm not sure if it's because my hand tends to slide down over the tightening ring as a I cast, or if it's just the particular reel seat I have (or a combination of the two). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for ways to better secure the ring and reel. I know I could use tape, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions that are a bit more elegant/permanent.

Thanks!

Post 15 Jul 2018, 10:48 • #2 
Master Guide
Hi, any chance you can post a picture of the reel seat with the reel on?

Post 15 Jul 2018, 11:36 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
If you post a picture of the reel on the reel-seat, it would help.

You said downlocking. is it threaded downlocking or a cap and ring?

If there is any looseness when the seat is tightened on the reel, the ring will come loose. The friction of the reel pushing back on the nut provides friction that prevents the nut from backing off.

Post 15 Jul 2018, 18:19 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
You might try a rubber band butted up against the lock ring, otherwise develop a habit of checking the tension on the lock ring fairly often and torquing it down if it needs it or not. Otherwise use the tape-either masking or black stretch electrical tape. It is more simple than replacing the reel seat, which is the ultimate solution.

Some DL5 reel seats are especially known for this problem. I won't speculate as to why.

Post 15 Jul 2018, 19:13 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
It can be idiosyncratic to certain seat/reel foot combinations. The seat may hold a different reel without its ring loosening.
I use different reels on the same rods, so I usually have an o-ring above the ring on any that tend to loosen and just slide that down. It's the same idea as a rubber band, just a little more durable and unobtrusive.

Post 15 Jul 2018, 20:23 • #6 
Master Guide
Quote:
so I usually have an o-ring above the ring on any that tend to loosen and just slide that down. It's the same idea as a rubber band, just a little more durable and unobtrusive.

Thanks for that tip ! I usually use a wrap of tape but this sounds like a better idea.

Post 15 Jul 2018, 20:42 • #7 
Sport
Everything everyone else said is spot-on. I have one rod/reel combo in particular that has a tendency to do that so I put an o-ring above the lock ring and it totally solved the problem. I picked up a couple of packs of different sizes of o-rings at Homeless Depot in case I run into the same problem in the future.

Post 15 Jul 2018, 21:26 • #8 
Sport
Thanks for the advice everyone. It is a threaded down locking seat. I did just put another reel on with a slightly wider foot, and it seemed easier to get it on tight. I don't know if it would stay tightened, but testing that sounds like an excuse to go fishing for a day! It may just be the reel I've been using (and unfortunately would like to keep using) isn't the best fit. I've never had the reel fall off or anything, but would like to avoid that as I'm sure it could happen at an inopportune time.

I also like that o-ring trick! I will definitely try and pick some up to see if that can be a semi-permanent fix.

Post 16 Jul 2018, 07:05 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
The key is to have a tight fit at the reel seat hoods,if you have lots of space between the reel foot and the inside taper of the hoods the reel will come or be loose.
Adding/gluing sheet cork to the bottom of the reel foot is an old trick that solves the problem very neatly.
Tight Lines And Cork Loops
Andy M

Post 16 Jul 2018, 09:35 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
As Andy said above.....even just a bit of tape under the reel foot will help.

When we were kids steelhead fishing we always wrapped the locking ring, hood and threads w electrical tape, not only was reel secure, but it was warmer on our hands ;)

Post 16 Jul 2018, 14:14 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I have one rod that seems to get loose with a little fishing, however if I twist and push the reel around after the ring is tight and then retighten it the problem never happens. I think the hood to foot fit is so close as to bind before fully seated. Just a thought.

Post 16 Jul 2018, 17:04 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Yes. If that fit, also idiosyncratic by seat and foot, snug the hood by pinching it and pushing; don't rely on screwing down the looking ring alone. If there is a slightly odd fit, that will only gouge the threads. Get the hood as snug as possible with your fingers; then tighten the locking ring.

Shimming the reel foot as described by Glassmaster is also tried and true. The only reason not to do that would be if you use the reel on multiple rods and it the shim for one makes a poor fit on another.

Post 17 Jul 2018, 06:53 • #13 
I like using O rings on both up and down locking seats...It takes care of most problems with loose seats..

Post 30 Jul 2018, 18:47 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
every downlocking reel seat I've ever used, will come loose. Some action on my part while casting results in the lock ring coming unscrewed. So I build all my rods with uplocking reel seats ;-)

O-ring is probably the best workaround for a downlocker.

Post 24 Aug 2018, 08:30 • #15 
Sport
Update for all who helped. Been out several times and using a combination of being extra sure the hood is tight, and an O-ring, have had no further problems. As a further bonus, the O-ring provides a nice smooth transition onto the reel seat for when my hand slides down. Thanks again for the suggestions, and I'm happy that I can use my preferred reel with this rod.

Post 25 Aug 2018, 05:24 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Great, and thanks for letting all who commented know the outcome. I think all of us want to be helpful, even when we disagree. So when suggestions are given, it's great to know the outcome, even if it was a bum steer. When it wasn't, that's even better.

New Topic Add Reply