It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:58

New Topic Add Reply
Sakura pens for blanks
Post 16 Jun 2018, 07:19 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Just sharing that I’ve had success writing on blanks with these lately, and it’s a low maintenance process.

Recommended by my local artist supply store for writing permanently on hard, non-porous surfaces and they come in (at least) black, White, silver, and gold.

They dry to the touch without smearing very quickly, but will still wipe off with mineral spirits (at least for a while!). I’ve been putting a coat of CP over the writing before finishing, but honestly I’m not sure you’d need to.

Results have been good, my godawful chicken scratch handwriting notwithstanding.

Post 16 Jun 2018, 08:06 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks! I'll look for some. Smeared ink is a huge issue for me. Black india is the only thing that works, and that's no good for dark blanks.

Post 16 Jun 2018, 09:08 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I have had success with Gel Pens (rollerball). But it requires a good surface. A very thin coat of epoxy or other finish works best, but CP also works.

are those pentouch pens ones with the plunger? I've had a hard time getting consistent flow. I get a blotch some places and no ink others. And the lines don't get fine enough for me on small blanks. A 7/8wt glass rod is doable, but a 4wt graphite just doesn't have enough room to make the writing legible.

Post 16 Jun 2018, 16:24 • #4 
Guide
Thanks for the tip. I’ll give those a shot.

New Topic Add Reply