It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:50

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 May 2018, 05:00 • #1 
Guide
I have an older 2-piece glass rod that I like, but now never fish, largely because of portability.
Is it possible (and, if so, worthwhile) to turn it into a 4-piece rod? If so, what are the issues to consider (carefully!), in terms of cutting, making spigots, guide spacing, and effects on the line weighting etc?

Thanks for any input

Post 16 May 2018, 07:17 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Sash, I moved your query to this section, where I think it may get more focused answers.

Here are mine, not definitive at all, just suggestions. If I had a two-piece 'glass rod and didn't know it had also been designed and produced to be cut and ferruled as a 4 piece, I would sell the rod and buy the 4-piece I wanted.

Unless I wanted to experiment and see what I learned.

To see if the experiment had potential, the first thing I would do is simulate my ferrule positions. This is easy IF I am going to remove and replace guides anyhow, understanding that the simulation is approximate. To do this, all I need is scraps of another hollow rod blank whose inside diameter approximately matches the outside diameter of the blank I would be modifying.

Identify the possible ferrule positions and cut external sleeves about 2 1/2" long, and slide them on the blank to the potential ferrule positions. Now you can do a little flex test, comparing to the flex before adding the simulated ferrules. If you don't trust your feel, take before/after photos with the same weight flexing the rod, or even chart it on a large sheet of paper hung up behind the rod.

You could also simulate the slight stiffening of a ferrule using surgical/vinyl tubing of appropriate diameter, sliding it on to a fairly tight fit at the potential ferrule positions.

Even if you don't want to remove the guides, you can simulate--albeit more roughly--with wraps of packing tape or some such at the ferrule position.

Any of these procedures are more likely to tell you why you wouldn't want to cut to more sections. In fact, sometimes just a firm finger and thumb hold on the blank at a potential ferrule location will tell you. None of them will tell you very well if the change is desirable, but they may at least reveal a downside that will divert your efforts to something else.

Post 16 May 2018, 07:24 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
If you really like the rod leave it as it is.
Your better off looking for a 4 piece rod you like as well and save your 2 piece rod for the times when you can use it.
Sure you can hack the rod into a 4 piece it's done all the time,however the rod will not be the same in a 4 piece configuration as it is now.
Better to find a 4 piece in the long run.
Tight Lines And Leave Well Enough Alone Loops
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 22 May 2018, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post 16 May 2018, 14:13 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I took a 2pc 8ft Parametric and made it a 4pc, is a nice smooth caster and now gets a lot of use. I would be hard pressed to say how it changed the action, was a nice caster before and still is.

And that is the thing, if you have a rod that is not getting used...why not make it something you fish?? And have fun in the process.

Post 16 May 2018, 16:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Sash wrote:
I have an older 2-piece glass rod that I like, but now never fish, largely because of portability.
Is it possible (and, if so, worthwhile) to turn it into a 4-piece rod? If so, what are the issues to consider (carefully!), in terms of cutting, making spigots, guide spacing, and effects on the line weighting etc?

Thanks for any input

I think it would be a fun experiment, it will most certainly stiffen the rod up a bit. Worse comes to worse if it doesn't work, you will have to buy a new 4pc blank and build a rod that you can travel with and that you will fish.

I think guide spacing is the least of the concerns, the cutting and making of spigots isn't easy. You can play with guide spacing once the other tasks are complete.

Post 17 May 2018, 04:41 • #6 
Guide
Many thanks for the replies so far: incredibly well-informed and thought-provoking
I have to say, I feel the balance of the views is tilting me away from this option pretty rapidly.
The rod in question is a Hardy Fibalite Perfection, and I suspect it is too good a rod to experiment with. Certainly until I have learned my trade on a rather more affordable (and, ultimately, disposable!) blank.
Having read (and contributed to) a thread of the Hardy Invincible some time back, I also hankered after a 4-piece version of that rod, since I remember how long the rod was in our small family car when I was a child. But I suspect that butchering an Invincible would add even more weight, and that the 10ft 6" #7 space is just better off done by the "other" modern rod material.

Post 17 May 2018, 10:58 • #7 
Master Guide
A Hardy Fibalite, definitely leave it as it is.

Post 17 May 2018, 11:23 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, find an old Berkley to experiment on, not a Hardy.

Post 18 May 2018, 22:57 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
As much as I love pack rods, I would agree with others and advise not splitting a very nice rod like a Fibalite into more piece. Even after learning your trade.

All of my rods are 6 or more pieces except for my favorite. A 2 piece Steffen.

Then again, it is your rod....

Post 19 May 2018, 10:55 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Practice on something else first. I won't say don't do it, but there are a lot of little tricks. Go back through the forum archives and there are discussions about "Tadpole" rods, which are fly rods built on one piece spinning blanks. Tadpole's were a popular option before inexpensive glass fly blanks became available. There are some other threads about doing it to Berkley rods, or removing metal ferrules and putting spiggots in. (I'm glad this trend has faded, though not before I removed some ferrules from a nice old blue (now tobacco glass) conolon rod.

Things to consider or be aware of:
  • The ferrule stock can be made from solid or hollow stock. There are tricks to build hollow ferrules from cheap spinning rod blanks or old spinning rods (doubling them up)
  • The top ferrule is a pain. It gets very narrow. I've had luck with graphite spiggots.
  • You usually fit the spigot from the bottom. I don't know if you can get the reel seat off your existing rod or even if you can, if it is still hollow.
  • Fitting ferrules takes a bit of work
  • If you want the sections to come out the same size, making the cuts requires a bit of math. The tip section doesn't get a ferrule, but the second section will. The third section already has a ferrule and the bottom section will get one.
  • Make sure you wrap the female side after you cut, but before you stick anything into it, so you don't split the blank.
  • Adding ferrules will change the action of the rod and make it heavier.

I'm sure there's more, which is why you should be careful. However if you're not going to mind too much if the rod doesn't come out ok, then go for it, but I would get a cheap old flyrod from a garage sale and practice on it.

Post 21 May 2018, 06:01 • #11 
Guide
To confirm: I have reprieved the Hardy!
I may well sell it (its an 8ft #6 Fibalite Perfection), but I definitely won't butcher it.
I have several old and cheap glass rods that I will learn my skill on.
Huge thanks for all the advice and tips.

Post 21 May 2018, 16:25 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Chicken ;)

Post 22 May 2018, 18:07 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Sash
I'm glad to hear the Hardy is safe,too many non-replaceable rods have been destroyed by Brave rod tinkers.
Reminds me of the shameful demise of countless 9' 3/2 4 and 5 weight classic bamboo rods that got hacked or remade into 6' small stream rods during the 70's and 80's,You would think the practice would have taught the fly fishing and rod tinkering community's something,Nope you still see it happening today.

With so many multi piece blanks being offered today,more than at any other time in the history of fishing I'd suspect.
You should be able to find something you like,I'd recommend you look to Stephen Brothers for a blank or rod to replace your Hardy Fibatube.

Tight Lines And Never Duplicated Classic Fiberglass Loops
Andy M

Post 18 Jun 2018, 14:01 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I bought someone else's 2 to 4 piece project that didn't get finished,
viewtopic.php?p=294332#p294332

it surprised me how much it did stiffen up the blank - throws a 7wt happily and might even be happier with an 8wt.

Fishes well, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60935

New Topic Add Reply