It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:57

New Topic Add Reply
Rod pox. Grrr...
Post 13 May 2018, 15:25 • #1 
Inactive
I bought this rod in the fall, never opened the package it came in. I do that a lot. Anyhow it was left in the vehicle, through a brutal winter. Finally got around to looking at it and this is what I found. I know excessive heat can do this, but it hasn't been hot enough, can the cold also? Anyone know a cure? It's a sweet rod, casting it seemed ok. I've never had any delamination issue before.
ImageImage

Re: Rod pox. Grrr...
Post 13 May 2018, 16:54 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Well, I hope this won't be an unwelcome way to say it, but I think you just answered your own question. We know there were extreme cold temperatures; we don't know how warm/hot in there it might have gotten a few times, but we do know there were many cycles of relatively rapid temperature change and thus cycles of condensation and evaporation. It wouldn't take much humidity in the tube to get pretty funky in there., That looks like superficial damage in the finish, so unless something more is obvious, the rod is probably still fishable. If the damage goes deeper, that is the way to find out anyhow. If the rod proves structurally sound, you could probably sand the finish coat to minimize the dimpling and then use a product such as BDC Rod Coat.

Post 13 May 2018, 17:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
It's the carbon weevils. Seriously, sorry, but I can't think of anything that would address a delaminated lay-up. If it's just in the surface, as the round bubble-like blemishes may be, you could maybe sand (carefully) and go back over with fiberglass resin or similar. The spiral crazing looks deeper, though. Others will have more expert diagnosis and suggestions. Whrlpool's suggestions look good.

Post 13 May 2018, 17:12 • #4 
Inactive
Tomah wrote:
It's the carbon weevils. Seriously, sorry, but I can't think of anything that would address a delaminated lay-up. If it's just in the surface, as the round bubble-like blemishes may be, you could maybe sand (carefully) and go back over with fiberglass resin or similar. The spiral crazing looks deeper, though. Others will have more expert diagnosis and suggestions. Whrlpool's suggestions look good.

The spiral crazing is built into t he rod. These classic western and trout rods from diamondback all have it. Thanks for the info all. Anyone think they can fix it? This is one of those rods I love. I have basically the same thing in a 2 piece. This is an original 3. It would be worth sinking a few bucks into. It's a rod id keep and use.

Post 13 May 2018, 19:14 • #5 
Guide
We had a customer bring in a rod in similar condition. He had left it lying in the bilges of his boat for 6 months and reckoned the rod was faulty and should be replaced under warranty. After giving him a replacement (at a discounted price) I cleaned up the guides which had some surface rust, cleaned the cork and winch fitting and basically left the blank as is. Have been using it myself for 2 or 3 years to catch bonefish and triggers without the rod showing any signs of structural problems.

Post 15 May 2018, 07:38 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I say don't worry about it and just fish the rod as well.
Hopefully you learned a valuable lesson and will take better care of your stuff in the future,or not ??
Tight Lines And Ugly Duckling Loops
Andy M

New Topic Add Reply