It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:14

New Topic Add Reply
Tip top wraps
Post 20 Apr 2018, 16:18 • #1 
Guide
Quickly going down the rabbit hole of rod building. In some of the fine works posted by actual legitimate builders I’ve begun to notice that some wrap the tip top wraps up and onto the metal sleeve of the tip top. Others it appears stop at the edge of the tip top. Am I just completely wrong and my eyes are playing tricks on me, or are there two schools of thought on this? If so, is there an advantage/disadvantage either way?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Re: Tip top wraps
Post 20 Apr 2018, 17:21 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You are seeing the two ways it can be done. Since you are learning to wrap, I wouldn't look at as critical. You will be able to change it easily enough if experience shows you a preference, and I'm sure you will hear strong arguments in favor of one or the other.

Apart from any appearance preference, wrapping up over the barrel of the tiptop is a backup to the glue. I can see why pro builders in particular might prefer this method--a detail that also has the potential to reduce comebacks later on.

I do it both ways, but mostly no wrapover. I know how to change and reglue a tiptop if it ever loosens, although I've never had that happen in any rod, some more than 4 decades old now. If the tip top wears out--that does happen--I can change it without rewrapping, whereas an overwrap would require redoing at least the tip top wrap. The actual wrapping, five minutes, but a new coat of finish will be needed as well. No big deal either, just an extra step.

For the hobbiest, either way but I'm sure you will here other reasons for one way or the other. Great Q.

Post 20 Apr 2018, 17:49 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I've wrapped up onto the tip top on my last couple of rods, plus one other. On the other, I did it because of an old tip top with some pitting from rust that I'd taken off, and I wanted to cover that. On the last two, I did it just because I like the look of it. I don't know if there's a real advantage either way.

Post 21 Apr 2018, 10:01 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
You wrap thread to secure all the rest of the guides and the ferrules,why wouldn't you wrap thread onto the guide that gets the most abuse to help secure it.
I was taught by my mentors to always secure and protect my tip tops with thread and finish.
Any rod I see with out a tip top wrap looks unfinished.
Tight Lines And Secured Loops
Andy M

Post 21 Apr 2018, 10:09 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Looks aside and apart from securing a tip top, do wraps provide any other purpose? I use epoxy to secure a tip top. It would seem no wraps would reduce the weight from epoxy on wraps thus making a lighter tip and reduce, probably very little, tip bounce.

Post 21 Apr 2018, 10:33 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Really that's just amazing .
We are talking about fishing rods here and not the Tail Fins on ICBM's Right. ;)
What are we Talking 4 or 5 turns of Insignificant Thread & Finish.
If 5 turns of thread are causing tip bounce than you have bigger issues to spend your time focusing on than thread weight. :lol

Tight Lines And Ridiculously Micro Managed Loops
Andy M

Post 21 Apr 2018, 10:40 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
And you are right, ARR, and there are some wrapless rods out there. These days most of it has to do with aesthetics than any inherent benefit. Saw a cheap zebco spinning rod the other day where the guides were held on with a plastic band that had the guide foot integrated into it.

After the endless saga of 100 weight silk thread, cp, thread tensioners, holding one’s tongue properly whilst dorking with the tag end of the wrap, etc. I have often felt that a little duct tape—they make it in colors and patterns these days—and epoxy should suffice.

Post 21 Apr 2018, 11:18 • #8 
Sport
Advantage to a tip top wrap going up the guide would be a little extra adhesive holding the tip top on. Honestly, like Whirlpool stated in post #2, I’ve never had a tip top come loose. Disadvantage would be the extra weight and extra work involved. Personally I don’t wrap up onto the tip top guide anymore and haven’t in quite a few years.

Post 21 Apr 2018, 12:23 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Matt Leiderman used to do a neat detail where he ground-away one side of the tip top “barrel” and wrapped with translucent silk/varnish. really neat detail. hopefully those pics are still searchable in the Rod Photos archives?

Post 21 Apr 2018, 12:49 • #10 
Guide
Good spirited debate going on here, I like it.

I don’t have much experience yet building fly rods but I can certainly see the having more peace of mind from having a security wrapped tip top on a heavier weight fly rod subject to greater load.

Post 21 Apr 2018, 20:40 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I am in the camp where I do not wrap the tip at all.

Bob

Post 22 Apr 2018, 16:27 • #12 
Master Guide
Same here. I skip doing it all together.

Post 22 Apr 2018, 22:16 • #13 
Master Guide
I wrap them over the tip about 3/16" - and use hot gun glue for adhesive rather than epoxy. I've had to replace one; it was easy to heat and remove the tip top after I first removed only the wrap's portion over it. Put a new one on and put a drop of polyurethane to seal the end of the wrap that is now just butted against the end of the tip. So, the replacement is not wrapped over the new tip.

Post 23 Apr 2018, 07:34 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
One of the pics here ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62543&view=unread#p319964 ) shows the elegant appearance of the class of craft method. I'm not sure what the guys who do it all the time prefer, but you can dress the tip top barrel for a smoother transition of the thread, and/or use, two separate wraps, one of which can be in a contrasting color, perhaps the same as tipping elsewhere on the rod. One wrap goes to the barrel. A second is started on the barrel , maybe five widths of thread, continuing a similar width on to the thread wrap abutting the tip top.

Well done, springer 1. When I have tried that, I manage to fray the wrap enough where it would be cut back to meet the barrel, that I wind up rewrapping anyhow. Ferrule cement/thermoplastic cement is the way to go for tiptops. Plenty of long-term hold, but makes changing easy.

Post 23 Apr 2018, 19:14 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Not even a debate but simply asking about tip top wrap benefits other than appearance/craftsmanship.

I agree Andy, wraps/epoxy are not gonna made a discernable difference at the tip top. It was simply the only thing that came to mind regarding any effect.

I see similarity in wrapping of a tip top to wrapping of a metal ferrule.

Post 23 Apr 2018, 21:33 • #16 
Guide
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I enjoy hearing about how different builders do different things in different ways and why. To me that's why i enjoy building and following the work of others.

Post 24 Apr 2018, 20:54 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I used to always wrap up and over a piece of the tip top, but personally like the look better where the thread butts up against the tip top but does not go up it.

If there is enough pressure (pull) for a tip tip that's glued (or epoxied) on to come off, I personally doubt varnished thread of a few wraps is going to keep it on, but I defer to those wiser than me on this!

Cheers

Post 24 Apr 2018, 21:09 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I had always thought the tip wraps were there to fair the edge of the tube and protect the line from scrapping the tube end. Surprised it may have other purposes.
Just a thought on added strength; it is a single thread, and can only achieve the strength of the single turn that transitions from rod to tube and it's bond to the turns on either side as provided by the finish/varnish. I don't see that as having a tremendous impact on structural integrity.
I'm learning every day.

Post 24 Apr 2018, 21:12 • #19 
Guide
I don't think I've ever seen a tip with no wrap. It would seem naked. I too like the wrap to go right up to the sleeve, with the finish overlapping maybe an 1/16" or so. I could see a benefit of having the finish fill in any gap you may have inside the sleeve to secure it even further but hopefully it's epoxied on there good enough without it.

Post 29 Apr 2018, 08:08 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:
I had always thought the tip wraps were there to fair the edge of the tube and protect the line from scrapping the tube end

I always do a short 1/8” of double wrap, butted up against the end of the tip top tube, that transitions to a longer single wrap to form a crude “ramp” for this reason

Post 29 Apr 2018, 11:19 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
corlay wrote:
Trev wrote:
I had always thought the tip wraps were there to fair the edge of the tube and protect the line from scrapping the tube end

I always do a short 1/8” of double wrap, butted up against the end of the tip top tube, that transitions to a longer single wrap to form a crude “ramp” for this reason

That's a very good idea.

Post 07 May 2018, 08:35 • #22 
Guide
I like the look of a short wrap up to the edge of the tube, so I do that. As others have said, I have never had tip top come loose in 50 years of fishing, and, as others have also said, I kinda doubt of a few thread wraps and some varnish provide much "adhesive" function past that provided by a good glue job inside the tube. My take on all this is that it's personal preference - - and that's a perfectly OK way to leave it.

New Topic Add Reply