It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 03:49

New Topic Add Reply
Epic 376 question
Post 01 Dec 2017, 19:57 • #1 
Hi I have just about completed my first rod build, a Proof Devon 8'6" 5#. It has gone remarkably well for the first build and is on the dryer at present. I see Epic has the 376 on special at present. Has anyone much experience fishing these, I was considering building one. I live in the unfashionable northern fishing area of NZ, small spring and rain fed creeks where a 2lb fish is a good fish, mostly rainbows. I fish soft hackles, small nymphs, (some with bead heads), and drys. Most flies in the 12-14 size. My favourite streams I can happily wade across at will. Would the 376 handle this or should I go bigger. Currently I am fishing a 7'2 4# glass rod assembled in China for one of our bigger tackle distributors.
Basically I am after a rod I can fish all day, I have around 15 streams within an hour of my house. If the 376 is too light I would look at one of the CTS blanks, (476 or 580). I built the Proof to see how I would go, Matt has been a great resource as has this forum.

Hopefully there is a photo of a typical rainbow below cheers
Charlie

Re: Epic 376 question
Post 01 Dec 2017, 20:39 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, charlief! Others will have specific experience with that 3wt, but I don't think I've seen anything but favorable reviews of Epic product here. The 376 should work well for the smaller water you fish, and since you have a #5 to cover situations where bigger flies and fish might be involved, I'd say go for it. If you were looking to fish one rod, I'd say a 476 would be more versatile, especially where flies get to that #12 size.

Re: Epic 376 question
Post 01 Dec 2017, 20:51 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I have an Epic 376 so here are my 2 cents worth. The Epic series is labeled fastglass by Epic because it's faster action than many fiberglass rods. I prefer glass that's faster than average to better deal with wind and larger flies so I like mine. I fish it with a Rio Gold WF3 which is heavier than the standard by about a half line weight. But it will also throw a normally weighted 4wt line without overloading at normal distances. The different lengths and weights of rods in this series vary quite a bit in their actions. For example, if you like the action of 480, don't assume that you'll like the 580 - they have very different actions. If at all possible, since you live in NZ you should try out one before buying. My only reservation about the rod for you is whether this relatively short, light line rod will be adequate for the waters and wind conditions you fish. The rod could certainly handle 2 pound fish, no problem. So if you think you would have use for a glass 7'6" 3-4wt and you like your glass on the faster side, the 376 would be a very good choice, IMO.

New Topic Add Reply