It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:53

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Nov 2017, 14:58 • #1 
Guide
So my father is giving me a small drill press to use as a lathe. Given this I am thinking of turning my own grips. Being ambitious, I am planning on adding some exotic wood rings, mohogany, tulipwood, etc. As accent rings. Was thinking I could get some small boards and drill out inch and a half rings to add to my grips. Question is, does anybody have aby suggestions as to where to source these things?

Post 23 Nov 2017, 19:40 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Turning cork on a small drill press is one thing, turning hardwood is another. Not saying it's not possible but it would be way better to use a lathe. At the least you'd have to have the arbor supported with a bushing or bearing of some sort to prevent arbor flex. Ebay is a great source of odd woods in small quantities.

Post 23 Nov 2017, 20:38 • #3 
Guide
The plan will be to use a 1/4 inch threaded rod as a mandrel with a rollerblade bearing secured to it to deal with mandrel flex

Post 24 Nov 2017, 07:00 • #4 
Master Guide
If you have a woodcraft nearby they generally have a nice selection of thin stock exotic woods.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 10:31 • #5 
Guide
Great call matt. Just got 5 boards 3/4 × 3" x 24" for $54 with free shipping, 1 african mohogany, 1 mohogany, 1 zebra wood, 1 purple heart, 1 marble wood. If i do this right, i figure i can get 36 or so 1 1/4 rings out of each of them. This could end up being a lot of fun, especially if I put this on from the rear and just bore it straight.

New Topic Add Reply