It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:21

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Nov 2017, 16:12 • #26 
Master Guide
Zin, I don’t think you will want to use alcohol or acetone to thin spar. The most common thinners for oil based vanish are minerial spirits or turpentine.

If the finish is wavy or wrinkles, it is likely too heavy of a coat was applied. As others have mentioned applying less is better. I might apply a bit more myself than Wrlpool describes above, but as he suggests you can always apply another coat later. On the first coat I tend to apply it a bit heavier and sometimes wick off the excess with the brush after 5 or 10 minutes. Do worry you will get the hang of it.

Post 26 Dec 2017, 11:21 • #27 
Sorry to bump a thread that is about a month old but could I ask a question as a new builder?

I've built one rod with epoxy and am considering spar for my next build. Do you only apply varnish to the threads, or do you allow it to spread over to the blank like you do with epoxy?

Post 26 Dec 2017, 12:08 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
I try to keep as much of the epoxy off the blank as possible, so the question seems a bit backward to me.

Varnish is very thin and you are using multiple coats (4 to 7 coats). If you keep the varnish on the wraps, that will provide enough protection. If it flows over a bit, it isn't a big problem either. In fact there is a process for dipping rods in varnish (used a lot for bamboo), and while I am not suggesting dipping, it does show that getting a bit on the blank won't hurt.

Post 26 Dec 2017, 12:17 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, glassguy! I'd echo what carlz said. He and other master builders here will have better answers on this subject, but I do recommend your moving to varnish. It's much easier and more pleasant to work with, though you do have to let it cure for a couple of weeks after final coat. This penalty is partially offset by the ability to do a multi-piece rod all at once, per coat. You have to be pretty fast, or mix multiple batches, to do that with epoxy. Then there'd be the requirement for a multi-piece rod dryer or the like.

For what it's worth, I try to coat only the threads, but I don't worry about a little overrun to the blank, especially there the guide feet go under the wraps. I'm just a (somewhat spastic) hobbyist, though: the pros and talented home-builders are able to get the varnish just on the thread.

Post 27 Dec 2017, 12:06 • #30 
I suppose my question was a bit backwards--I'm still trying to get things figured out. My first rod turned out ok, but I really like the look of varnished wraps. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Thank you!

Post 27 Dec 2017, 18:18 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
And Tomah, If you've seen my builds, you would not call me a master builder. I do want to nip that one in the bud. If you build enough rods. One of them is bound to come out looking nice.

Varnish is nice from a hobby builder standpoint because it is more forgiving. However keep the layers thin. Epoxy looks great, but it really frustrates me from time to time.

Above all else, patience. If something doesn't look perfect, cut the wrap off and start again. Epoxy or varnish is just going to make the problem look worse.

Post 09 Jan 2018, 21:19 • #32 
Master Guide
I've built dozens of rods, bamboo, graphite, and glass using spar on guide wraps. I've also used a lot of Flex Coat, but spar is a lot easier to remove is or when a snake guide needs replacing. I have rods I built 40 years ago using spar and the wraps are still like new. It cal also be lighter than epoxy because it goes on thinner and you can more easily control thickness by the number of coats you apply. I usually apply 3 coatsto guide wraps. I like the spar found at Ace Hardware as it comes in small containers and is used by a lot of bamboo builders and is readily available.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply