It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:50

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Nov 2017, 21:31 • #1 
Sport
So, I am a little confused about when you should use Spar Varnish.

When do you use it?? Is it an alternative to say Threadmaster/Flex Coat? Do you use it after you have applied a few coats of Flex Coat?

Thank you for all the replies as always.

Zinny

Post 13 Nov 2017, 21:42 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, spar varnish it is an alternative to epoxy finishes for coating for thread wraps. I suppose you could put it over Flex Coat but not sure why you would want to.

Post 13 Nov 2017, 21:44 • #3 
Master Guide
I like to use varnish for all coats. It’s just much easier to work with when you need to replace a guide. No scraping involved - just remove the wrap and hit the area with some thinnner. I have rods that have been fished quite a bit for 35 plus years and the varnished wraps are still going strong.

Post 14 Nov 2017, 12:08 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have actually applied epoxy over varnish with success. I used the varnish to achieve the amber color first.

Post 14 Nov 2017, 12:17 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Spar provides a “warmer” appearance to the finish as opposed to epoxy. Depending on the appearance you desire it can be of benefit. It can be a little easier to use if you are going for a translucent rather than transparent appearance to your wraps. I also found it easier and more predictable when I was starting to build rods, also easier to fix when I messed up.

I’ve not mixed finishes on a rod but to each their own.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 10:47 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with all that has been posted about spar varnish. The "amber" color of spar varnish has never been a problem for me, as I am usually wrapping on dark colored blanks and really don't notice the amber hue. I don't like to mix finishes as their compatibility is an issue, for me. Different hardnesses and expansion and retraction variables are worries I can do without. However, I do use a color preserver sometimes and have had no ill effects.
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 15 Nov 2017, 13:21 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Easier to use, long lasting, beautiful luster and character of the finish. Flexible and easy to touch up or complete a piecemeal wrap repair/replacement. I always use spar varnish. Realize that spar varnish is a proven tough performer in harsh marine environments on sailing vessel rigging (spars) and woodwork throughout such vessels. By comparison, the job it performs on windings is a piece of cake. If a rod receives minimal care--essentially never being put away wet in a sock or tube or stashed wet in a damp place--a spar finish on the wraps may very well outlast the person who applied it. It will definitely long outlast a desire to look at it for details of craft alone.

As to the amber tone--which in some brands is so minimal they look sparkling clear on all but the lightest thread--this is relatively constant. It may mellow, but is actually less likely to develop the weather-checked, "yellow," or UV damaged look of some two part finishes. This was rarely visible on dark graphite blanks as they became common about the same time as two-parts on production rods. It is visible on lighter 'glass blanks. For the hobby builder, the two parts are a solution in search of a problem.

The downsides of either finish type are easy to exaggerate, though, and usually explained by poor application, poor care, or both. We've all done it once or twice. But worst case scenario, a wrap of a guide or entire rod finished with spar is easier to redo, and do right, a second time. After that, it is unlikely it will ever need to be done again.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 13:56 • #8 
Sport
Excellent! Thank you. I will try it on a dark green blank with darker (blue or green) wraps.

But to be clear, excuse the pun, you should not use it on natural silk to get that transparent look. Go with thread master or Flex Coat plus a thinner.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 15:30 • #9 
Master Guide
Zinny, I would suggest searching the forum for posts on transculent/transparent wraps. There is a lot of great info. The type of finish will have an effect on transparency or color retention of the wrap. For varnishes (oil based), most spars will turn the wrap pretty translucent, polyurethanes will retain quite a bit more of the color (in some cases almost as much as color preserver), and spar urathanes are somewhere in between the two. I have never tried water based varnishes, but I have read they retain much of the color similar or more so than oil based poly.

Epoxy will also make the wraps transparent/translucent. Some bamboo builders will use thinned epoxy for the first few coatings to get clear or vary transparent wraps, then use varnish for the remaining coats. Some find it easier to get more transparent wraps with epoxy than varnish. I personally use a spar/walnut oil mixture, but it’s time consuming, followed up with spar uthathane.

The quest for translucency can be a bit of a double edged sword as it can exposure faults in wrapping technique. Too tight of wraps, voids, tie off points might produce what is called the shimmers (voids and air pockets in then wraps).

Silk vs. nylon - it can depend on color, size, and finish selected, but I feel that silk in general can be more transparent. But in some colors and sizes it can pretty darn similar.

Judging by your recent posts, it might appear this one of your first builds. If so, I might suggest keeping it simple. If you want to try varnish, I might suggest trying Helmsman spar urathane, and calling it good.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 19:21 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I use marine varnish.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 21:01 • #11 
Guide
A neat trick that makes nice looking wraps is to put down a layer of spar urethane first then epoxy over it which is what I did with these on a Kabuto 805 I just finished:
It looks really good if you're using thread colors in the browns or reds.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 21:38 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Dude, excellent thread and finish work. Is that black & gold jasper at the ferrules? A "coat of many colors!"

Post 15 Nov 2017, 22:01 • #13 
Guide
Thanks! That is some original Gudebrod black & gold jasper I got from Ricks Rods.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 22:15 • #14 
Master Guide
If you are going to use spare then use Man-O-War

Post 15 Nov 2017, 22:54 • #15 
Guide
I couldn't seem to avoid shimmers and voids when using spar on the first coat. So I did 3 coats of spar over top of 1 soaking coat of TM lite and that seemed to work. Except for a bit less luster, you couldn't really tell it wasn't all spar. I did like the extra depth the multiple layers of spar gave it. As far as I could tell, it still gave it the nice warm tint.

Post 16 Nov 2017, 06:18 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that spar varnish takes quite a bit longer to apply. Each coat must dry a day and many coats are needed. And spar isn't fully cured for weeks. Two part epoxy is usually 2 coats which can be done in one day but I usually take two days. I think spar is easier to get a good looking job for a beginner. Epoxy takes a bit longer to figure out and is less forgiving until the technique honed, IMO.

Post 16 Nov 2017, 06:55 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Good thread here with lots of back-and-forth sharing and comparing notes. Reminds me of the "old days" on this forum. :-).

I use spar only and that's all i've used in my brief tenure as a hobby rodbuilder. I like that is easily available, cheap, and i am more than satisfied with the results.

Like Tiptop, I find spar requires a day or more between coats. And I apply as many as 6 coats. The trick is to apply sparingly and allow the thread to soak up the varnish.

I pour varnish into a shot glass with a few drops of mineral spirits or turpentine. Put it on with a toothpick a drop at a time. Touch the drop of varnish, lightly, to the thread, and carefully spread it to completely cover the wrap.

On the first coat all I want is to soak the thread with varnish. You can tell it's soaked when it turns a darker shade. Your individual thread wraps will be visible. Leave it alone. Wait at least 24 hrs. Repeat.

Post 16 Nov 2017, 07:12 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I think of spar varnish as just another way to coat wraps. Epoxy is quicker and more clear, and I use it more often, but I use spar when I am doing bamboo wraps, and once in-a-while on glass and graphite. Ace hardware spar is my favorite, right out of the can, or if it is old, with paint thinner. I would use turps, but it is flammable, and I don't like to keep it around the house.

Pat is right, spar turns everything dark and glassy. If I want to use color preserver, I go with old-fashioned shellac-especially amber if I am trying to match wraps.

Post 16 Nov 2017, 07:17 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
archfly wrote:
I think of spar varnish as just another way to coat wraps. Epoxy is quicker and more clear, and I use it more often, but I use spar when I am doing bamboo wraps, and once in-a-while on glass and graphite. Ace hardware spar is my favorite, right out of the can, or if it is old, with paint thinner. I would use turps, but it is flammable, and I don't like to keep it around the house.

Pat is right, spar turns everything dark and glassy. If I want to use color preserver, I go with old-fashioned shellac-especially amber if I am trying to match wraps.

John, I use Ace Brand Spar Varnish too. I tried more expensive brand names but I didn't see they were any better, so went back to Ace.

Post 27 Nov 2017, 12:10 • #20 
Sport
Thanks for all the help.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 12:40 • #21 
Sport
So I tried Spar Varnish last night and it dried very wavy? I assume I used too much?

Post 30 Nov 2017, 13:08 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, likely. It's important to apply very thin coats. I got some of that "Orange peel" effect coating the script area on a rod, even though I used my fingertips and tried for a thin coat.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 13:21 • #23 
Master Guide
Ya gotta go thin with spar. Even if it cures fully, you'll get bad edge build if you go on too heavy.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 14:02 • #24 
Sport
Thanks guys. So when you say "thin" you are talking amount of Varnish and not thinning it with Acetone or Denatured Alcohol.

I'm sure I globbed too much on. It was my first attempt at using varnish and I putt is on the support wraps around the ferrule. Easy re-wrap if needed.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 14:08 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
The following isn't quite "true" literally, but is nevertheless a good way to think of it: with just about any finish, it is difficult to put it on too little. If you do, the next coat takes care of that. If you try to put on too little, you are more likely to put on about enough. It is very hard to put on too little; it is very easy to put on too much. Essentially, if you can see it as a "coat" other than just a glossy, wet appearance, it is too much.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply