It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:58

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Nov 2017, 16:39 • #1 
Sport
The reason I ask is I am building a rod using single foot guides. (I know but I have to build a bunch of rods for a charity auction and a few are single foot for speed). The last guide next to stripper should be 10mm and I really do not like the bigger 10mm single foot so I was thinking of adding a nice agate 10mm to match the 12mm agate for the first stripping guide.

Anyone ever do this?

Post 07 Nov 2017, 17:11 • #2 
Master Guide
I have. It was on an 8wt bamboo, but the double agate worked fine.

Post 07 Nov 2017, 18:34 • #3 
Sport
This is for a 9' 4 weight. I would think it would be okay?

Post 07 Nov 2017, 19:57 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Not very traditional and not cheap, but it's fine. You're already going to single foot guides. I find it easier to wrap both sides of the snake guides than a single foot guide, but whatever you fine easier.

Do you have the agate guides in hand. A 12mm agate has a pretty small ID.

Carl

Post 14 Nov 2017, 12:16 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I once used two agate stripping guides on a switch rod I built. However, agate guides tend to be very heavy relative to either single foot or snake guides. On a 4wt rod, that might be a consideration.

Post 14 Nov 2017, 12:55 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Double agate on a 9' 4wt is overkill in my opinion, i would probably go single 10 or 12 size. Also, might be just me but if you're going non traditional and using single foot, why go expensive and traditional on the stripping guides?

Post 15 Nov 2017, 01:10 • #7 
Master Guide
I often use tw or three striping guides. Rarely do I install only one, since these are my “fighting” guides.

Cheers, Graeme

Post 15 Nov 2017, 08:32 • #8 
Master Guide
dustdog12 wrote:
Double agate on a 9' 4wt is overkill in my opinion, i would probably go single 10 or 12 size. Also, might be just me but if you're going non traditional and using single foot, why go expensive and traditional on the stripping guides?

+1

Post 15 Nov 2017, 10:38 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I'm one who has built rods with more than one stripping guide on a rod. I've never found the need to do so on my lighter rods, those 6wt and under. I find the performance I want from multiple stripping guides is best in my Steelhead/Salmon and surf rods. It works with these I don't see why it would not with your 4wt build. I would reconsider the choice of guides, but it's your eye that has to be satisfied. Give it a go, you can always make changes if your not happy.
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 15 Nov 2017, 13:37 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Relative to 'glass rods and traditional manufacturing and building norms, the question would be better thought of as identifying the circumstances/configurations for which only one stripping-type guide would be used.

It used to be common--and at the same time when most fly rods were for lineweights 6, maybe 5, and up, and from the era before that when bamboo and the first fiberglass rods prevailed, that two stripping/casting/fighting/gathering guides were commonly fit. I think the reason is as simple as Kalgrm's term "fighting guides." Who knew, especially the manufacturer, what varied uses in a time of far less specialization of rod types, what use the rod would be put to: trolling for lake trout with rigs that themselves put more stress on the rod and guides than would be put on the same rod catching flippy-flop brook trout--and the same rod might very well be used for that purpose. Maybe some big Largemouth bass, explosive smallmouths, Atlantic salmon, west coast steelhead, and so on--not all by the same owner user, but in all the different markets where the rod might be sold and used.

In other words, a wider heavy to light duty range could be anticipated, so the "fighting" strength of two stripping guides was desirable.

So at one time, the default for a builder would have been two, and a choice would be made if only one would suffice. I have a favorite Fisher, built 30 some years ago with two stripping guides. I thought nothing of it at the time I built it, but eventually eyeballed that second one and wondered what good it was. I wondered why not replace that one (it did not need repair) with a snake guide. I never bothered since the rod, like several others I've built in that usual way, did exactly what I wanted of it.

Then one day I got into a spree of fall run browns five pounds and up and decided this failsafe configuration would stay as is.

On a little 4 weight, especially 'glass, two couldn't hurt, but I'd only use one, knowing I would not use the rod where outsize fish were expected. Agates as one stripping guide type are less critical as far as one or two. They are too dainty for my taste so I wouldn't use them regardless of the number of stripping/"fighting" guides going on the rod.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 18:33 • #11 
Guide
As others have pointed out, using more than one stripping guide was once common. A Winston glass 9 weight from the early 70s that I was fishing last week had 4 stripping guides: a Mildrum carbaloy #9 and three chrome #8s. A 6 wgt I just traded off had two. Scott rods had 2 and sometimes 3 until the late 1980s. Are they necessary? Probably not. But I'm making an informed guess that going to one stripper had as much to do with saving a buck and a few tenths of an ounce as it did with enhancing performance.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 19:13 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
L Kenney wrote:
I'm making an informed guess that going to one stripper had as much to do with saving a buck and a few tenths of an ounce as it did with enhancing performance.

The cost and weight rationale is understandable but could you clarify the performance benefit? Good info.

Post 16 Nov 2017, 07:01 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I think fashion plays a big role in the number of stripping guides on a rod. The possible exception might be heavy rods for tarpon, which I was told should have three. Back around the year 2000, it was common to see rods with two strippers; today, not so much. I have a Fenwick FF806 from the 1970s that has two strippers, and a lot of production tobacco glass rods with only one. Heck, I even have a pre-War Tonka Prince bamboo that has no stripper-just a regular snake for the last guide.

I often put two strippers on salmon rods and saltwater, but never noticed any difference in casting. Never had the opportunity to fish for tarpon.

Post 16 Nov 2017, 07:20 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I know many older rods used two or more strippers but I've never understood why. Seems to me the stripper closest to the reel will take 99% of the stress. Unless the rod is to be used for really big saltwater fish - and then probably all the guides should be beefier. Spoken from the perspective of a brookie fisherman :)

Post 16 Nov 2017, 12:36 • #15 
Guide
ARR I suppose reducing weight in the middle of a rod might help, but my reference to "enhancing performance" by going to one stripper was intended to be ironic.

Post 16 Nov 2017, 14:17 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks. Some days are slower than others :)

Post 27 Nov 2017, 12:10 • #17 
Sport
yeah, they are lighter rods so I think I will stick with one. Thanks for all the help.

New Topic Add Reply