It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Oct 2017, 17:29 • #1 
I'm new to this forum and rod refinishing / rebuilding so I started with an easy project. Found what was described as a Chuck Dobrowski rod, 7'4" 5/6 weight. I loved the glass color, the wraps were excellent and already epoxy coated. Glass had no finish and the reel seat cap was busted off. Turned out the reel seat would not accept any reel foot due to small end cap size. I re-shaped and re-stained the wood to fit a reel foot then re-glued the cap. After checking discussions in this forum I settled on auto clear coat for the glass finish.

My goal is to rebuild, repair, fix rods into near original condition. A number of my rods just need fixes but I’m not skilled enough yet to make them look original. I have six basket case rods stripped and ready to work on this winter. I built a guide wrapping tool using a fly reel to provide thread tension. I hope practice makes perfect.

Last edited by drewspen on 10 Oct 2017, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Oct 2017, 17:32 • #2 
Master Guide
Sounds like a good goal to have. It's a fun hobby that can keep your hands busy and out of trouble :)

Post 10 Oct 2017, 17:36 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, drewspen!

Post 10 Oct 2017, 21:47 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That turned out nice. What product did you use to clearcoat it?

Post 11 Oct 2017, 07:01 • #5 
Master Guide
Show us you're Fly reel tensioner. It sounds like an interesting idea. Looking at the creativity of others often helps me solve unrelated problems somewhere down the line.

Post 11 Oct 2017, 08:59 • #6 
Automotive formulation lacquer is the Rust-Oleum spray can label. I may have mislead you a little calling it clear coat and saying I "decided" on lacquer. I had the can for another project and didn't want to buy another product before using up what I had. Anyway, one coat covered the glass and hid all the epoxy coat edges. I had gloss but would have really preferred satin. If this really was a Dobrowski rod he did 99% of the work making it a nice rod. I have not fished it yet but it feels like a medium fast.

Post 11 Oct 2017, 09:07 • #7 
I looked at many wrapping tools and tried to take the best of all. Used scrap wood and a Cortland graphite reel with disk drag. For an inexpensive reel this Cortland has a really good drag with lots of adjustment. Its also pretty consistent in the tension. I take thread from the spool, wrap 4-5 times around the reel, then through the hook (or not) up to the rod. If thread slips on the reel I just add more wraps. Spring on thread spool rod is just enough tension to keep thread from unwinding. Overall I spent $10 to make it.

New Topic Add Reply