It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:27

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Sep 2017, 18:58 • #1 
I bought one of Johnny's pumpkin 11' 4 wt blanks thinking I might use it for rod repairs, but now I'm considering building it out. Has anyone ever finished and fished this blank as a single-handed rod?

Post 21 Sep 2017, 20:27 • #2 
Master Guide
I would not recommend building it out for dedicated single hand use unless you aren't planning on doing much casting. I built the 11' 5/6 version out as a switch rod and it's not terribly fun to cast single-handed. You may be a little better off with a lighter blank but I still wouldn't do it. I am currently working on his 10' 2/3 that will also have a bottom handle. This one might be a bit better single-handed but I still wouldn't built it out in a way that makes it SH only.

Check the tip of your blank. Oftentimes they are pretty brittle. This current bank I ended up trimming 3" off to remedy that problem. These are fun blanks but they typically need some tweaking.

Post 22 Sep 2017, 09:35 • #3 
Thanks. Just what I needed to hear. The blank is good - one of the ferrules needs to be cut back a bit. It's actually a replacement - one of the spigots in the original was offset and Johnny sent me a new blank. I may just have him send me one of his kits and build it out on the cheap.

Post 29 Sep 2017, 10:05 • #4 
Sport
Will be a good Euro nymph setup.

New Topic Add Reply