It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:01

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Sep 2017, 09:17 • #1 
I have a Wright and McGill Ambassador AMF 8' rod that was my uncle's. It is very good shape except the snake guide above the stripper guide is missing. I would like to replace it with a snake guide and wrapping that matches rest of rod. Interested in recommendations on where to locate parts or who might be in the business of repairing old FG rods.

Note, the wrapping thread is yellow with a few wraps of black thread at either end of the yellow.

Also interested in what line weight would work for dry flies. I am used to faster graphite rods, but this rod feels like it should be good for laying down a dry fly.

Post 15 Sep 2017, 10:18 • #2 
Master Guide
I can help you out with parts.

Post 15 Sep 2017, 16:06 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Replacing some wraps and a single guide can get very complicated very fast, depending on how fussy you are about matching the original. Sometimes, you can re-use the old thread if you are careful, but finding an old matching guide can take some time to get the right one from an old junker.

Otherwise, if it is to be a fisher, you can just use new guides and thread that are close. You should be able to do a little reading and fix it yourself. If you have a few questions, folks here are very helpful.

Post 15 Sep 2017, 16:46 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Although I don't know the model, it is most likely a 6 or 7 weight, typical of 8 ft 'glass of the time. You can fuss with ideal match for the guide/wrap, but that will be of cosmetic value only. One of the vendors found here or in an OL search for rod-building suppliers will be able to supply materials that will be virtually unnoticeable as cosmetically different, and ideal functionally. I have an idea those were wrapped with size D thread, but not sure. Check with leads you find here and/or--very familiar with rods of the era with a lot of OEM stuff in stock--Rick's Rods in Colorado, easily found with an OL search. As you can see from the post above, folks will be glad to help, and you may locate several sources, which could include a local tackle shop in your area that has repair materials or can refer you to someone local who does repair work.

New Topic Add Reply