It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Jul 2017, 12:41 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 7'9" Shakespeare Wondorod 1280T. This rod is in god shape other than missing a guide right above the ferrule.

Normally, I would match thread and rewrap the guide if possible or strip it down and do a complete rewrap (much less likely). However, this rod is wrapped with fiberglass rather than thread. I've had two issues with refinishing these rods before. One is thread just doesn't match well. The second issue is with putting a finish on the wraps. The existing glass wraps are slightly frayed, so if you put new vanish on them, the frayed bits get gloppy and it doesn't look great.

My main question is would you redo the single guide with thread? try to do a glass wrap and color it correctly and match the color with a marker, or just redo the whole rod in thread.

It's a great rod otherwise.

Carl

Post 22 Jul 2017, 16:21 • #2 
Master Guide
Might sound like a goofy option to test out, but have you thought of replacing the wraps on that 1 guide with unwaxed dental floss, or a same-size group of fiberglass strands separated out from the swath included in one of those auto body repair kits?

The original wrap sorta looks like that, and since the originals are painted, you can duplicate that color (and the black tips) after some other finish is applied to duplicate the right "look". I have touched up a 1280T that had badly chipped red paint with some Testers model paint that hobby shops sell - was a perfect match. If you want I can look and see what color code it has.

Post 22 Jul 2017, 18:27 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I've thought of using fiberglass strands from one of those fiberglass mesh's. Then it requires some paint (doable) and a finish. My concern is that if I go through this much trouble, the rewrapped guide will look new and the others will need some finish(varnish). It's been re-finishing the existing wraps to look decent that has held me back from doing this. Though I guess I could trim fuzzies with some sort of nippers and repaint the old wraps.

Maybe it's worth trying the simple option and calling it good enough. Getting the guide back on will make the rod significantly more useful.

Post 24 Jul 2017, 08:48 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I would just do the one, I don't mind a less-than-perfect looking fishing tool. Anything that old (me included) has less-than-perfect pieces :)

Post 24 Jul 2017, 11:23 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
It's really simple you use the fiberglass strands from the fiberglass cloth to wrap your guide feet.
Mix some fiberglass resin and use it as your thread / fiberglass cloth finish.
Take the rod to your local drug store,go to the nail polish department,match your color.
Apply the nail polish over your guide wrap,as many coats as you need to get the color saturation you seek to match the original wraps.

Then if your really trying to get a restoration quality job you can tint some varnish to match the rods original patina.
I know we went over this in the past at least a few times ???

Or like Keith says just do what ever your comfortable with to get the rod back on the water.

Tight Lines And Wonderod Basic Repair Loops
Andy M

Post 24 Jul 2017, 18:42 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
So did the original glass wraps use a resin? if so, how does the fiberglass thread come off (as it has on this wrap).

If the resin comes off for one wrap couldn't you just strip them all and re-wrap? Then I could color and coat the all the wraps and they would be the same color. Or is wrapping fiberglass that much more difficult? I hate matching colors. They never seem to come out right, especially after the finish is applied.

Post 26 Jul 2017, 07:06 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Carlz,
I vote for a whole strip and rewrap job, just to keep you busy!

Bob

Post 26 Jul 2017, 22:51 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Bob. You're nothing if not helpful.

New Topic Add Reply