It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Jul 2017, 14:25 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Phillipson S86 in like new condition with the exception being the grip...there is a large chunk of cork missing from the fore end of the grip and a couple of small chunks too. Will it require a complete strop down to repair the grip, or can it be done another way?

Post 21 Jul 2017, 15:40 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You should be able to shape a piece of cork to fit the larger hole and possibly just fill the smaller ones with wood filler.After the cork is glued in place just sand it to shape.Pictures would help but photobucket is a problem.

Post 21 Jul 2017, 16:29 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I will try to get a picture up...hadn't thought about a cork fill...thanks

Post 21 Jul 2017, 18:01 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
You can cut out a complete cork ring and split a new one to put in its place. Lots of options, depending on how perfect you wish it to look.

Post 31 Jul 2017, 08:42 • #5 
Master Guide
I've found that Gorilla Glue is effective in securing new cork pieces, any excess can be trimmed and sanded. In the cases where I've done this, it was best to cut out the jagged edges with an exacto knife and create a cavity with straight edges. Doing so made forming a cork plug with a small hobby (hand) saw and exacto knife to fit snugly a lot easier.

But the critical steps weren't just the fitting, it was selecting cork for the plug with a color close to the rest of the handle, and then being sure to align it directionally so the grain also matched.

Post 31 Jul 2017, 14:28 • #6 
Master Guide
After fitting the big piece, have a piece of clean paper under it when you sand it to rough shape and size, in order to catch the sanding dust. The cork dust can be mixed with glue to fill any small areas instead of trying to match wood filler. After that, the whole grip can be finish sanded.

When I repaired gunstocks, I often caught sanding dust to have filler which matched the piece.

BB

New Topic Add Reply