It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:35

New Topic Add Reply
Epic rod dryer
Post 10 Jul 2017, 08:47 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
https://swiftflyfishing.com/collections ... 4853969540

Epic just announced a new rod dryer. It's a typical Epic product... sleek and modern. But also scant on details.

Re: Epic rod dryer
Post 10 Jul 2017, 10:11 • #2 
Master Guide
I am somewhat surprised that it is battery operated. I guess I understand that that could be convenient, but also quite inconvenient if one runs out of batteries. . .

Post 10 Jul 2017, 10:17 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That's a pretty slick bit of design, though. The foam clutch is a pretty cool, simple solution

Post 10 Jul 2017, 14:15 • #4 
Guide
It looks pretty slick, but I'm not sure that I'd trust it to hold up over time.

Batteries - don't think this is a good idea. How do I know how much time I have left on a set of batteries?
Foam chuck - sounds good at first, but I could see it wearing out over time and not holding tight anymore
Construction - tabs are great and all, but if I'm spending $75 on a dryer I'd want it to be a bit more solidly constructed. I can just see one of my kids knocking it off the table and it not going back together as nice again

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but for $40 I can get a metal construction rod dryer from Mudhole that I know will last. $75 for a foam and plastic construction dryer just isn't going to do it for me.

Post 10 Jul 2017, 14:27 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with Tom S. The $40 one from mudhole is steel, plugs in, and can probably be gotten without paying for shipping.

Post 10 Jul 2017, 15:19 • #6 
Master Guide
I'm not really interested in the product, but those who worry about the batteries giving out at an inconvenient time should just change or recharge their batteries if they have any doubt.

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 10 Jul 2017, 15:59 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Wow! That is a Lu Lu! 0]

Post 10 Jul 2017, 18:30 • #8 
Master Guide
I'm not a very good rod builder, but I got the best results with flex coat epoxy (the only rod finish I ever used) by wicking off excess epoxy and hand turning 180 degrees when necessary. I never got great results when I used a dryer, probably because I used too much finish.

Post 10 Jul 2017, 23:00 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I'm Stumped. :rolleyes
Tight Lines And Incredible Loops
Andy M

Post 11 Jul 2017, 07:41 • #10 
Master Guide
novisor12 wrote:
I'm not a very good rod builder, but I got the best results with flex coat epoxy (the only rod finish I ever used) by wicking off excess epoxy and hand turning 180 degrees when necessary. I never got great results when I used a dryer, probably because I used too much finish.

When I was using Flex-Coat, I thinned it with a few drops of xylene and applied thin coats until I got the finish I wanted using the end of a paper match to apply and remove the excess. Didn't have to thin the Flex-Coat Lite. I now use Diamond II from Voodoo which Is already pretty thin, and the the last job I did with it on nylon thread only took two coats for a nice smooth finish. I just turn the rod by hand every 15 minutes for the first hour and leave it alone for 24 hours. With the thin coats I apply, I'm not convinced I need to turn it at all, but just to be sure.

I can't stand the appearance of wrap finish that looks like a football. Interesting note, the rod I did in rod-building class many years ago was so smooth and flat I was accused of using tape!

BB

Post 12 Jul 2017, 13:07 • #11 
Guide
C&F sold the motor unit years ago as a fly dryer. I had one and I'm sorry, but it was useless. Maybe they have improved it since then.

Post 07 Aug 2017, 13:12 • #12 
I rigged and used the CF fly dryer to build my first rod. It worked well. Loud.

Post 08 Aug 2017, 02:04 • #13 
Master Guide
I took a deep breath, clicked the Swift link without preconceptions, and my first impression was, "cute economy rod turner for $15.99". Then I checked the price. Yeah... no.
Shrimpy

Post 12 Sep 2017, 20:02 • #14 
I do like how you can put a blank section on it. My mud hole dryer really only works with the handle on the butt section so I have to put the whole rod on it at once.

But, that's not worth the extra $$ I don't think.

Post 12 Sep 2017, 21:49 • #15 
Master Guide
IndyJer wrote:
I do like how you can put a blank section on it. My mud hole dryer really only works with the handle on the butt section so I have to put the whole rod on it at once.

But, that's not worth the extra $$ I don't think.

Carefully make an arbor on the male ferrule with blue masking tape and insert whatever blank piece you need into into the CRB dryer. Problem solved.

Post 13 Sep 2017, 09:10 • #16 
Guide
I cut the bristles off old brushes and make them into arbors to fit rod sections. Two bands of tape spaced a couple inches apart for a snug fit in the rod, one large band of tape that fits into the chuck. Easy to install and remove and re-usable.

New Topic Add Reply