It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Jul 2017, 21:33 • #1 
Inactive
So I wanted to pose this question here, if this is not the appropriate place on the forum, I would appreciate it if the mods moved it rather than deleted this post.

I have an idea for a pack rod, specifically for hiking into and camping in deep Appalachian woods in WV. I prefer 1 pc rods but they are not ideal for these kind of adventures. I want this rod specifically for brook trout. While I prefer slow rods, a "fast glass" would be OK also. I am not a rod builder but I have an idea in my head of what I am looking for and I am searching for a rod builder to build it.

Specs: 6'6" - 7' 4wt 3pc (I am open to a 3wt if blank, size and color become an issue in 4wt, I would prefer it to be 7' but open to shorter if need be but nothing under 6'6")

Blank - High Quality

Blank Color - Green like a brook trout (translucent would be nice)

Cork - Something like the one pictured below. Can be cigar shaped (in fact I would prefer that but I am open)

Reel Seat - Engraved with a brook trout like the picture posted below or something similar (can be down locking or rings) I dont like uplocking real seats so I would much prefer that not be used. However I prefer downlocking to sliding rings.

Guides - High quality matching the real seat in metal color

Agate Stripper - Orange

Thread wraps - Color coordinated like a brook trout fin - Mostly Orange, then Black, White tipped

Hook Keeper - loose Ring style

Detail - vermiculations pattern near the cork about 1 foot up the rod. I would like a halo spot pattern (like a brook trout) to go from there up to the stripping guide. dense in pattern and then tapering to sparse to barely at all at the stripping guide and then none past the stipper. The halo spots can go past the stripper if spacing won't allow. I would also like a high quality finish.

Labeled - in the vermiculation part of the rod
Rod company or builder name
"The Brookie"
Rod size - line weight

Reel seat Ex:
pb-image ... ebhlca.jpg

Cork Ex:
pb-image ... vgkpah.jpg

Anyone up for a challenge or think they can build this for me? Send a PM please

Post 02 Jul 2017, 06:20 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I left this in the building section because I am sure there will be plenty of good answers about available blanks (or even factory models) that might fulfill your specs. I have a rod very close to that (it's not green but easily could be) from Glassmaster, and there are a lot of options.

Should make an interesting discussion with comments from hobbyists and pro builders who offer rods of the type you describe.

You could make a short post in the "Wanted" forum to draw specific builder responses. Details of a bespoke build transaction should be via PM.

Post 02 Jul 2017, 09:08 • #3 
Inactive
A few rod builders won't even touch this.
I have decided to try JP Ross and use their wood engraved reel seat in black ash dyed green. It really all depends on what they say about the vermiculations and halo pattern going up the rod. Money is not an issue, so that shouldn't factor into the equation.
We will see what they say.

Post 02 Jul 2017, 12:43 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
this sounds interesting to say the least....hoping you'll keep us apprised...

Post 02 Jul 2017, 16:14 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
The fiberglass fly rod market is currently absolutely flooded with short 3 and 4 weight rods.
You shouldn't have any trouble finding just about anyone to put together the rod you seek.

Your so called Choice of a name for "Your" short dream rod has already been assigned.
"The Brookie" is the Name of the 5' 1 piece 3/4 weight fiberglass fly rods that were offered by Vince Cummings.

I've been fortunate to have purchased remnants from the Cummings shop that included the materials to make "The Brookie" tribute rods as well,The replica tribute rods of my hand have been done in a limited edition.

I'm Currently Making a few of what I'm calling "My Brookie" 5' 4" 1 piece 3/4 weights.
The reason they are called My Brookie rather than "The Brookie" is because they are not replicas of Mr Cummings work and are a 100% representation of my own work.

In either case these rods represent the ultimate small stream Brooke trout fishing rod you could ever possibly imagine.

These rods do everything you would want a small stream rod to be capable of only better.

The Brookie and My Brookie rods are currently available from me.

If your truly interested in one of The Brookie or My Brookie rods you can contact me for the pricing.

If you want to learn more about The Brookie rods from my hand, let me know I'll be happy to send you a field report from one of the northeast's most highly renowned small stream fisherman.

Tight Lines And The Brookie Loops
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 03 Jul 2017, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Jul 2017, 17:04 • #6 
Inactive
Andy,

I know I bought one from you recently but it was the unfinished one.:-)
I just dropped that rod off with dream weaver and he also liked it a lot.
That said it will be complete in August. Don't worry we ain't jazzing that one up, just using the materials you gave me.
I also have him fully restoring my Fenwick FL72-6 1pc glow blank. I can't wait to get them.
I was looking for the rod I'm seeking for hike in adventures that I can keep in the tube because I'll be carrying a tent, food, water and what ever else in some pretty rugged territory. I'm not sure the brookie 5' 1pc will fit that bill.
All my rods are nothing like this one I seek. All mine are very vintage and I thought what the hey, let's get at least one that's nuts. Then again, rethinking this maybe I should just chill and give my wife a break from purchasing rods lol. I do own a Fenwick 535 that's mint and never seen water.
Just thought it would be kinda cool to see a rod actually look like a brookie.

Hey by the way I was just lawn casting that 6'6" O.Y.R.S. conolon Blank you sold me at a steal. Wow what a rod dang near spooled the reel on WF4 with ease. It will see the water for the first time tomorrow. Can't wait now!
Might become my favorite

Post 02 Jul 2017, 18:42 • #7 
Inactive
Andy,

By the way, you are killing me with that Ultimate Witch you got for sale!
So so so close to pulling that trigger!

Post 02 Jul 2017, 20:16 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Quote:
By the way, you are killing me with that Ultimate Witch you got for sale!
So so so close to pulling that trigger!

Quote:
Money is not an issue, so that shouldn't factor into the equation.

Quote:
Hey by the way I was just lawn casting that 6'6" O.Y.R.S. conolon Blank you sold me at a steal. Wow what a rod dang near spooled the reel on WF4 with ease.

Tight Lines And I'm Very Confused Loops
Andy M

Post 02 Jul 2017, 21:06 • #9 
Inactive
Lol sir well played!

It has nothing to do with money but more to do with buying too many rods and making the wife angry.

Even still.....
My wheels are turning. I'll let you know soon if I'm buying the witch

Post 03 Jul 2017, 08:51 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Quote:
I was looking for the rod I'm seeking for hike in adventures that I can keep in the tube because I'll be carrying a tent, food, water and what ever else in some pretty rugged territory. I'm not sure the brookie 5' 1pc will fit that bill.

A 5' hiking staff /stick with "The Brookie" rod inside is absolutely perfect for those long walks in the woods. ;)
If you had read my Old Yankee Fiberglass Rod Care Guide you would have already known this and saved yourself allot of trouble worrying how to get a 5' fishing rod to your remote fishing haunches. :eek

Tight Lines And Used As A Walking Stick Loops
Andy M

Post 03 Jul 2017, 12:43 • #11 
Inactive
Ya I'm not a big fan of walking sticks either. There is no way you are carrying one where I plan on going. You are going to need both hands to grab rocks.
Either way no worries.

New Topic Add Reply