It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:30

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Jun 2017, 20:52 • #1 
Guide
Hey everyone. I purchased one of those 6' 1pc Garcia Lee wulff blanks that came with the preformed Lee wulff style grips. For those of you who have built this type of blank/grip what diameter rings should I get for the grip and/or do any of you know where I could get the Garcia style rings for the grip? Also from my research on the forum for guide spacing there seems to be a few different guide spacings posted. Do any of you have a strong opinion on which one would be the best? Finally do any you have recommendations on guide sizes for this particular blank? I know I'm asking for a lot of information haha but I want to build this blank as close as possible to the real deal. As always thanks for everyones' input. Always appreciate it!!!

Post 21 Jun 2017, 04:19 • #2 
Master Guide
Guide spacing...pick one chart and tape the guides on. Use a flyline to pull the rod into a bend while looking for even distribution of stress. Move guides to correct. The number of guides is generally accepted as length of the rod + 1, or 7 guides plus stripper and tip-top for a 6 footer. Sometimes the bend test indicates that the rod could use 1 more guide, as a 6-1/2 footer I did some time ago necessitating re-doing the spacing of all guides.

As to the grip, what are Garcia style rings? Rings are rings although they will differ in quality. Most builders use 1-1/8 or 1-1/4" rings. The larger size allows for more leeway in shape and size of the finished grip.

BB

Post 21 Jun 2017, 12:23 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
As for rings, you have a number of options. You could go to Ace hardware and purchase a short length of copper tubing. They will have several diameters. Cut the width of ring you prefer, then file flat and use Emory paper to remove burrs. Another source would be to purchase manufactured rings. One source is ksn47 (R Lee) on EBay. He lists the ID on his rings. Another possibility is to get on the Proof rod website and order a couple of locking rings. When in hand, use a rat tail file to remove the threads and material to the desired thickness. A precursor to these suggestions is that you have measured the required inside diameter with the reel foot on the insert surface. This is where a decent caliper comes in handy. You can get that at Ace hardware too. Roy

Post 26 Jun 2017, 21:19 • #4 
Guide
Thanks!!!

Post 26 Jun 2017, 22:38 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Pye,

If I recall, the original rings on that were just thin bands with a diamond knurling. Very industrial. Unless you are really trying to do a reproduction and have figured out how to get an avocado green paint job, I wouldn't worry about the exact Garcia style. And unless you have a buddy with a lathe and spray booth, you would spend more reproducing the rod than a mint version would cost you.

As for ring size, just measure the cork and get rings as close to that diameter as possible. Didn't those blanks come with the reel seat cork already attached? How do you get the rings on?

Post 27 Jun 2017, 08:04 • #6 
Guide
Thanks carlz. It did come with the cork grip but not attached to the blank. The cork is in one piece though so I'm going to have to delicately cut the cork in half to get the rings on. I'll probably cut just below the butt section of of the grip. Im not trying for a complete reproduction since your right it probably be cheaper and easier to just get a wulff but was looking for the diamond knurled rings and hook keeper. I'll maybe see if I could find something similar or maybe have someone make it. As for the hook keeper the same thing or may not put on a keeper. I usually don't on shorter rods. :)

Post 27 Jun 2017, 09:06 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I can provide you with what you seek provided your okay with black.
Tight Lines And Amazing Glass Loops ;)
Andy M
The "FloroWulff"
ImageImage

Post 27 Jun 2017, 10:22 • #8 
Guide
Thanks Andy!!! Pm sent. :)

New Topic Add Reply