It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:06

New Topic Add Reply
polycrylic vs spar
Post 16 Jun 2017, 13:16 • #1 
Guide
I've been wanting to protect a 50's rod I been fishing almost everyday from UV. Its beauifully spiral wrapped and I used spar on the wraps with good result. I put spar over the emblem but it dosnt feel like its as strong on the blank as where I put it on the wraps. Though that may be the thickness.

Polycrylic seems like it might be tougher than spar? I almost picked some up but it says nothing about UV, does it provide UV protection?

I'm thinking about painting whatever product onto the blank, I think with spar I could get it to look really nice, would polycrylic be suitable for this?

Thanks

Re: polycrylic vs spar
Post 17 Jun 2017, 09:00 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
If it's use is id'd "interior" specific it, most likely, has no UV protection. UV protection is found almost exclusively in varnishes intended for exterior usage.
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 17 Jun 2017, 11:17 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
If you are looking for a water based finish with UV inhibitors you need to use DEFT Exterior finish.
When I'm using Polycrylic it's as a leveling coat, usually over a reduced epoxy base coat or "binder coat" as I like to call it.
Finally I often do 2 final coats by dip method of Minwax Varnish Gloss for the U.V. protection.
Tight Lines And Keep It Simple Loops
Andy M
ImageImage

Post 17 Jun 2017, 13:12 • #4 
Master Guide
When you open the rode tube spar varnish smells the best.

Post 17 Jun 2017, 14:11 • #5 
Guide
Polycrylic does not have UV resistance. I'm not sure if it's tougher than spar, one of the strengths of spar varnish it it's flexibility. In my opinion polycrylic works fine on rods and I have used it myself because it drys crystal clear. Just be aware that it levels and flows a bit different than spar.

Whether or not a rod needs UV resistance is up for debate in some circles as well. How much exposure to UV does a rod realistically have over it's lifetime? Usually stored indoors, sometimes in a tube, pulled out for a certain number of hours a year (except for that one you keep in the car). Some people swear by UV resistance, some people say it doesn't matter. I don't have the personal experience to be able to say one way or the other definitively, but I'm leaning towards it not being as important as some people make it out to be.

Post 17 Jun 2017, 17:13 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
U.V. protection is paramount especially when it comes to fiberglass rods.

As someone whom has done extensive testing, coupled with a lifetime at the bench where countless fishing rods have been brought in for repairs, other than accidental breakage.The detrimental effects on fishing rods being exposed to Ultra Violet Light and Heat has been the most common distructive issue.

If your making fishing rods that are only going to see the light of day 10 days a year don't give it another thought.If not take the necessary steps to prevent or at least retard the effects of U.V. exposure.

Only a fool would disregard the harmful effects of the Suns Rays or possibly someone to lazy or cheap to spend the time and take the steps needed to protect the rods. My Opinion Yours May Differ.

Tight Lines And SPF 30 Loops
Andy M

Post 17 Jun 2017, 22:37 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with both the above posters. While it probably doesn't matter on most rods, why not use something with UV protection??

And I just love my spar varnish. Classic. And YES it smells, well, classic.

Post 18 Jun 2017, 05:35 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Glassmaster will have any contradictory technical detail, but I don't think any waterbased finished has the proven durability and lasting protection of spar varnish. I'm sure such finishes work well but I don't think their long-term trial can be complete. For the hobbyist, tried and true, if it ain't broke don't fix it, dance with the one that brung ya', an ounce of prevention . . . and so on.

Very doubtful--unless there was some flaw in application--there is anything problematic in your rod as described. Spar doesn't necessarily "feel" hard. The harder the finish, the more brittle and prone to clouding and checking. A varnish finish is flexible and resilient. If it doesn't gouge or scar easily with a fingernail, it's probably fine. If it does, it was probably applied too thick and could be stripped and done again. On the blank itself, you have a hard job to put it on too thin, a wipe or fingertip rub being sufficient to provide its protective qualities.

By all means, experiment with the water-based on another rod. It will probably look great and last for years. For now, stick with the product you chose; it is not going to fail and you will have the UV protection. Without arguing its necessity, I'll just generalize to say that all things weather, and spar varnish has protected against the harshest weather possible for decades. viewtopic.php?p=230370#p230370

Post 18 Jun 2017, 11:05 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Epoxy is the most reliable for me. As a hobby builder, the shelf life and consistency makes it attractive. One can of varnish could last me a life time, but it won't because I have to decant it out into usable quantiites and it seems to get goopy over time and then everything I learned on one rod is moot on the next rod.

Polycrylic doesn't have that problem, but it isn't quite as durable. It does dry fast and goes on really thin. You can get 4 coats on fairly quickly and that is the minimum I would use. It does seem to be a bit more brittle. I wouldn't use it for a rod for someone else, but for my own rod I would be happy with it.

I am not sure why you need the UV protection if you are not dipping the whole rod, since if you are just coating wraps, you

Post 18 Jun 2017, 12:03 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Polycrilic has been a good color preserver for me on some threads, is easy to use, and does provide a good base or leveling coat. I have always coated any polycrilic wraps with spar and feel they look best when so coated. If you have stripped a blank--vintage or otherwise--apply some spar to the blank for UV protection. Turkey basters work well.

Post 19 Jun 2017, 17:53 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
ditto what mdwwhw said.

New Topic Add Reply