It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:34

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Jun 2017, 15:31 • #1 
Sport
… assuming the rods are fished, not wall hangers … how do you go about cleaning wraps before applying fresh varnish ? In the course of just general cleaning between trips, it's common for me to find gunk caked at the end of wraps at the mouth of the tunnels. What's visible comes off easily enough, but that's not to say there's not stuff hiding in the ends of the tunnels that I can't distinguish from shadow. Are you content to just use a soap and water bath ? Do you go at them with isopropyl alcohol and a soft brush a day or so in advance to give the alcohol time to evaporate ? How do you get a warm rosy feeling that you're not varnishing over traces of some sort of slime that might have an effect the new finish ?

Much Obliged

Post 13 Jun 2017, 16:39 • #2 
Master Guide
I use a toothbrush and water.

Post 13 Jun 2017, 17:19 • #3 
Master Guide
I can't say I've ever had a rod so gunked up I couldn't clean the wraps and guides with a little alcohol and a lint free gun cleaning patch or a Q-tip. I always rinse and wipe my hands off every time I handle a fish. A little warm water and dish detergent does a good job on keeping the cork clean, although I'm not particularly fastidious about that.

BB

Post 14 Jun 2017, 17:47 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
warm water and dish soap first, rinse

many uses for these small alcohol wipes, one of them is to wipe down the wraps before touch-up..

Post 15 Jun 2017, 19:38 • #5 
Guide
If I can't clean the little tunnels with a toothpick I'll use a spritz of canned air.

Post 16 Jun 2017, 14:42 • #6 
Sport
sorry to take so long getting back, the orderlies don't let me and Jack out much …

To elaborate, most of the hard cases I encounter aren't something I inflicted on myself, but vintage new–to–me Fenwicks, Conolons, etc. Cork is usually easy, the Dollar Tree 3 for a dollar 'Magic Eraser' knockoffs and water generally make short work of any didymo–jo that might still be inhabiting the grip, and I give the seat, blank finish, ferrules and guide wraps a going over as well. Then I attack all that again, plus the guides, with warm soap and water and a soft child's toothbrush. The toothbrush splays out underneath guides nicely and seems to nuzzle nicely around the inner edges of that side of guide feet, but I still get irrational about those little black dots of shadow that I can't see

Is it any wonder the orderlies don't let me out much

Canned air … I like that idea ! I won't mention the 3 cans sitting on the corner of my desk at the moment and that had not once crossed my feeble mind !

And I'll try the alcohol, I had been reluctant to use it in case it left residue

Many Thanks, Folks, that ought to keep me out of the Devil's Workshop for some while longer

Post 16 Jun 2017, 19:34 • #7 
Sport
If I'm cleaning wraps with the intent to add a varnish overcoat I wipe them down with mineral spirits. If the wraps are in good condition but just dirty I usually clean them with warm water and dawn dish washing soap. After that I might add a light coat of Butchers wax.

New Topic Add Reply