It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 07:47

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Small guides
Post 03 Jun 2017, 15:00 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have played with different guide sizes and came to the conclusion mentioned by Mr Morgan. Smaller guides allowed better line presentation and control.

Has everyone else came to similar findings and if so, how small is too small?

I went as small as I could before the line to leader knot prevented otherwise.

Re: Small guides
Post 03 Jun 2017, 15:04 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like small guides, and not near as many of em as some people.

That said, rods w big guides and lots of em still catch lots of fish.

Post 03 Jun 2017, 16:47 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I pretty much use the size/spacing recommended on the Morgan guide. Roy

Post 03 Jun 2017, 16:58 • #4 
Master Guide
For rods 5wt-2 I usually start with 1/0 snakes or single guides.

Post 03 Jun 2017, 21:32 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
In single foot I used a size 5 fuji alconite. They are small but boy do they work.

Post 04 Jun 2017, 15:48 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
In my experiences working out guide placements, sizing,etc,being a Custom Rod Maker letting each individual blanks flex characteristics dictate the guide set has always worked out best.

Content Edited To Correct Wording.
Tight Lines And Corrected Loops
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 07 Jun 2017, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post 04 Jun 2017, 17:06 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I don't care how big my guide is, as long as he can get me on fish and row the boat.

Post 05 Jun 2017, 10:30 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
My guide better bring beer too....

Post 05 Jun 2017, 17:28 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
:) @ carlz

Great considerations Andy. The particular rods were mostly older rods like lami and berkleys. After static test, alignment with the spine and countless taping of both snake and single foot guide placement and size, my three rod sample informed my current conclusion. This sampling included using line weights from 5-7 and casting/chucking dry flies to 1/8 Oz plastic jigs. Obviously I am not a purist.

Across all three rods, smaller guides required less concentration and effort for the desired presentation. When a rod causes me to smile while casting, it is what it is.

My current conclusion was not intended to be an end all be all statement for enlightenment rather a query if others' experience is generally the same.

Cheers.

Post 05 Jun 2017, 21:25 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 07 Jun 2017, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Jun 2017, 05:11 • #11 
Master Guide
The Glass Master wrote:
Hello
Spent a good amount of time earlier today writing a response to your question.
Decided rather than take on the so called "Tom Morgan Theories" I only say so called because Tom wasn't the first or the last to profess the attributes of keeping the line as close to the blank as possible.

I'd just sum up what works best for me.

In my experiences working out guide placements, sizing,etc,being a Custom Rod Maker letting each individual blanks flex characteristics dictate the guide set has always worked out best.
That involves allot of what some consider extra work,taping guides on doing static defection samples,working with the blanks spine to find the sweet spot where everything comes together,sample casting the rod sometimes several times with different guides,sizes, locations and so on.
It's allot of work no doubt but it's worth the time in my humble opinion.

In truth I find that I seldom go below a #1 snake guide unless of course I'm working with a 3 weight blank or lower or in the ever so less frequent case of a Vintage rod that will be fished with a Silk line.
That's an entirely different animal !

I'd love to be enlightened, I'm very curious to hear more of the details about your in depth study and how you were able to come to such a popular conclusion.

Were you considering for example rods that handled multiable line weights ?

Foul Weather Icing ?

Just to name these 2 of the most overlooked situations fisherman contend with.

We referring to Rod Makers that is ,face the more than 1 line weight and the changes the different lines have on the flex characteristics, along with the slight differences in the lines diameter etc. especially with Fiberglass and Bamboo.

For example you may have a rod that handles a 4 & 5 weight line,with the 4 the guide set and the performance of the rod looks great 1/0, 1/0 ,1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, #9
However with the 5 weight the sizing spells disaster and is best looking something like this 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 4 #10
So a trade off needs to be made.
Sometimes on rods that handle more than 2 line weights, I'll make a second tip just to be sure the rod can perform to it's fullest potential,with the best guide sizing and spacing for the lower line Weights and upper line Weights,A Tip For Each.

Sounds like your playing around to get the answer's your looking for .

We can talk guides until the cows come home,I've had rods come in with paper clips taped on them for guides that caught fish.I know what works best for me and so do the people that fish the rods I put up.

Small NO, Sized Appropriately To The Blank Keeping In Mind The Fishermans Experiences A Stream YES First And Foremost.

Tight Lines And Size Matters So Does Placement Loops
Andy M

Andy, you've said a mouthful, and in general I quite agree. People tend to like pre-canned, empirical solutions when thoughtful experimentation can yield better results. That said, for those new to the rod building game, they won't go far wrong using the charts until they get a feel for the craft.

The fact that different folks have somewhat different charts would indicate that guide sizing is as much a matter of opinion as fact. I use the charts mostly for setting up the initial spacing before the bend and cast tests, letting the tests determine the final setup.

BB

Post 06 Jun 2017, 06:41 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Hi andy,

My description of my sample size and rod type was more informative than a "I thought so" response.

Care to enlighten us regarding 5-7wt rods?

Post 06 Jun 2017, 09:05 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 07 Jun 2017, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Jun 2017, 10:57 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Andy,

Just for the record, my question, "Has everyone else came to similar findings and if so, how small is too small?", contained two questions and was not designed/intended to be an agree with me love fest. Alternatives are valuable which you demonstrated.

That said, thank you for your response. As you stated correctly, I have not built a 1000 rods and being on the journey where even you at one time succumbed to the smaller guides are best concept gives good food for thought. Your response contains practical next step methods so thank you again for sharing that knowledge and guidance.

Best,
Eric

Post 06 Jun 2017, 11:58 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 07 Jun 2017, 09:44, edited 3 times in total.

Post 06 Jun 2017, 12:00 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Gentlemen,
I find this "A very interesting discussion", I have my opinions based on my personal building experience. My guide size choices are based on what I want from my rod while fishing, much like Andy has alluded too. However, I find my choices have resulted in guide sizes that reflect my choice of starting with smaller guides 1/0 for 4wt to 7wt rods and I'll drop to 2/0 on 3wts. I do fish heavier weight 9 and 10 rods but they are for a different discussion. Where I get larger is in my choice of the stripping guide and the first guide above the stripper, using 8's and 10's(Mildrums) with 4-5-6 snakes. I have found the number of guides used can also influence the guide sizes i place on my rods. I also think the rods one is accustomed too have a great deal to do with choices one makes. I fish relatively large waters with 8' and longer rods as my rod length choice. These rods generally have fine tips and the smaller guides, on the tip section, keep everything working together. I have never conducted an organized testing to form my opinion, but over the last 45 years , this is my experience and what I'm comfortable fishing with on the rivers I like to fish.
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 06 Jun 2017, 12:23 • #17 
Master Guide
Obviously there are at least two opposing schools of thought on this among very experienced rod builders and not much common ground between them on this issue. Although I'm unconvinced one way or the other it's been an interesting discussion.

And because this discussion piqued my interest I I did a short bit of searching and discovered an indirectly related concept that suggests making all running guides the same size vs stepping them down. (On a side note, the article is from the rodbuilding.org's "Beginners Corner") Anyway, I don't pretend to know enough to determine the validity of that idea but it too is interesting.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/fly_ ... sizing.pdf

Fascinating stuff! Jim

Post 06 Jun 2017, 13:54 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 07 Jun 2017, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Jun 2017, 16:30 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
IMHO you almost can't go too small. If the fly line can go thru it you are good to go.

But like I said, big guides and lots of em will cast a line too.

Just a one rod observation here, but I have a 9ft 9wt Heddon with gosh-knows how many itty bitty guides, it will shoot a mile of line. Now I am getting too old (lazy? tired?) to use it much anymore.

Post 06 Jun 2017, 17:04 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Nielson,
Not sure opposing school of thought versus identifying parameters that favor one over the other.

Andy,
Your response reminds me the importance of precise wording and not posting on an empty stomach before lunch! ;)

I like how this has morphed. Good stuff.

Post 06 Jun 2017, 18:28 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I like the article and basically believe in the premise as presented, but I find myself using a couple of down sizing steps, of 2-3 guides per size, in my guide progression. Smallest to a size larger progression covering the first 6 to 7 guides on the tip section, then a rapid change across the ferrule with a couple of larger snake guides(usually 1 of each size) to the stripper. I build only 2 piece rods so my experience is limited to these. In ending, all of this is a generalization of guide choice and is only finalized after a static test to see how the rod reacts to my choices. I am always changing guide size and position along with test casting before final assembly.
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 07 Jun 2017, 07:33 • #22 
Master Guide
"Not sure opposing school of thought versus identifying parameters that favor one over the other."

Good point! On reflection, I think a better choice would have been: "... there appear to be at least two schools of thought ..." Avoiding the "opposing" sounds less confrontational. Jim

Post 07 Jun 2017, 09:49 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
When we get to a point in a topic where your wording or grammar become a focus rather than the actual topic it's time to move to another topic that's more productive.

If you utilize the search function on the top right of the home page and type in Guide Sizing as a search you will see this topic is a rerun of sorts.
Tight Lines And Sized Loops
Andy M

Post 07 Jun 2017, 16:19 • #24 
Master Guide
Didn't realize I was changing the focus, just trying to be clear while we wait for more on the topic.

However, thanks to Andy's suggestion, I took a look at what's been said over the years here on this topic and my take is:
1. There is no general agreement on the what constitutes proper guide sizing and no overwhelmingly compelling argument for leaning one way or the other.
2. If you stay with conventional guide sizing, not overly large nor small with stepped sizes, you'll end up with a functional fishing tool and reduce the risk of unwanted controversy.

Jim

Post 07 Jun 2017, 19:37 • #25 
Master Guide
I'm happy to use guides with small internal diameters.

I also base my guide design on that article. Step down to the smallest diameter quickly and keep them constant from that point on. Typically I'll have two or three stripping guides down to 8mm, a 7mm and either 6mm or 5mm from that point on. My 10wt rods stay at 7mm. (I use SF Ti guides with SiC inserts throughout. No snakes.)

Cheers,
Graeme

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply