It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:33

New Topic Add Reply
Chest Pack Custom Build
Post 29 May 2017, 11:03 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Learning to sew has been one of the more useful skills that I learned when starting to backpack regularly several years ago. To that end, I just finished the next version of a chest pack that I'll be taking into the backcountry and elsewhere this year.

I was inspired by a number of different packs, but my main goal was to eliminate the number of things hanging off the pack that can get caught up in my line or otherwise get tangled in fishing tackle.

The pack has two hidden hoods for nippers and the like, a slot on the bottom to keep a hemostat handy, and a front pocket to hold odds and ends like strike indicators or floatant (with a hidden leash for the Mono Master), and a tippet holder on the bottom and out of the way. It's sized at 2" deep, which means that I can fit three slimline nymph boxes and two of the new Orvis Tacky boxes (one of each type). It also has a few slim pockets for leaders, etc. and my fishing license.

It's made of VX-07, a waterproof fabric by Dimension Polyant that is a lighter version of their commonly used backpacking fabrics. All zippers are waterproof. (It rains a lot in my part of the state.)

I haven't taken it out yet, but the only thing that didn't turn out as hoped is the tippet holder on the bottom. It's hard to see with the front pocket sticking out above it (kind of obvious, in hindsight). I may move it to the webbing at the top--I'll have to experiment some. Other than that, I'm really pleased.

Now, I just need to go fish and test it out.

Post 30 May 2017, 09:02 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Exceptional... great job !

Post 30 May 2017, 12:53 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Nice!

Post 30 May 2017, 13:12 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Looks very good!

Post 31 May 2017, 11:51 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Looks great - understated elegance!

Post 31 May 2017, 18:29 • #6 
Guide
That's awesome!

Post 31 May 2017, 22:07 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks all. It's a satisfying project to complete.

I don't really love sewing--I'm too detail-oriented to go quickly. And I'd much rather tie flies or build a rod. But it's really nice to be able to match things to exactly how I want them.

Now, if our rivers would just come down some, I could get out and test it.

Post 01 Jun 2017, 07:30 • #8 
Master Guide
Very nice. I need to work on my sewing skills!

Post 01 Jun 2017, 14:00 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Good to see some good old school style American Ingenuity Nice work all around !
Tight Lines And Home Made Is Made Best Loops !
Andy M

Post 03 Jul 2017, 12:32 • #10 
Guide
Beautiful craftsmanship!
Fantastic design, I dig the the tippet holder placement and tucked away nippers and hemostats.
Perfect materials choice!

You are ready to roam with that bag.

Post 03 Jul 2017, 23:58 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I've gotten to fish with it a bit, and I'm really pleased with how it works. The depth is minimal enough that it doesn't keep me from seeing my feet easily, and it holds more than enough flies. The tippet holder on the bottom has worked well too--the pocket doesn't get in the way very much at all, and it's tucked away when I don't need it.

So far, so good.

Post 05 Jul 2017, 12:05 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice work. When do you start taking orders? :)

Post 05 Jul 2017, 16:49 • #13 
Guide
Looks very nice .

Post 08 Oct 2017, 17:22 • #14 
Sport
Fantastic; exactly what I've been looking for and toying with myself. Is the material similar to Cuban or Dyneema? Would you take an order for one?

Post 08 Oct 2017, 18:24 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
It's Dimension Polyant VX-07, not a hybrid polyester-DCF (formerly cuben fiber) like Hyperlite Mountain Gear and Zpacks use for their packs and accessories. I chose it primarily because the pack was something of an experiment, and I still had most of a yard of VX-07 leftover from a previous pack project. I'm really happy with the pack design, and if/when it wears out, I may have one professionally made with some more durable materials.

In case you want to get technical, VX-07 a 70 denier face fabric laminated to waterproof layer, an X-ply, and a white polyester scrim. Truthfully, it's the lightest I'd go for a pack of this kind--VX-21, which ups the face fabric to 210 denier would be my first choice. It doesn't see a lot of abrasion, so it's holding up fine so far. I also have another chest pack that is made with the same VX-07, and it saw two years of good use before I moved to this version. It's in great shape, other than my poor sewing.

The other change that I'd currently make is to go with the more pliable and durable 210 denier Dyneema X for the front pocket. I already have put a small (easily fixable) hole in it from not being careful and dragging it across some rocks (totally stupid and unnecessary, too).

I have a larger, fly fishing specific day pack design that I may build out this winter, but my Osprey Talon 22 still performs well enough that I may not take the time yet. If I do, it will be based on the same fabric families as this one--a durable Dimension Polyant laminate for the main body with Dyneema X for the pockets and accessories. We'll see what happens.

If you're interested in one, I'd recommend having Chris Zimmer of Zimmerbuilt put one together for you. His quality will far exceed mine, and if you need more pictures or dimensions (I'd customize them to your fly boxes), send me a PM. Chris is a class act and an ace at the sewing machine. You'll notice that a lot of the inspiration for this pack design came from his work.

If I'm still happy with this design when the current version wears out, he's the one I'd go to for a rebuild.

Post 09 Oct 2017, 19:01 • #16 
Sport
That's funny as I just ordered one of z-pack chest packs to check out with the thoughts of modifying it, though you kind of did the work for me (thanks)!

Post 10 Oct 2017, 13:41 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
excellent work, I like it..

did a bit of trail running/fishing combo excursions this summer, and have been thinking about a lighter pack.. currently use a LL Bean chest pack that is fine, with similar hoods for nippers etc, but it's a bit on the heavy side. Chris' Tenkara Guide pack looks good too.

Post 11 Oct 2017, 21:30 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah--my only issue with Chris' stuff is that it didn't fit the size I wanted. I felt like it was possible to carry a lot of flies efficiently (which the Orvis/Tacky boxes make really easy) without hurting my ability to see my feet or get in the way of other activities. Then, it's funny how many manufacturers make things that are fine, but have small flaws that keep them from being excellent and make a big impact on the usability of their product. Either that, or they're not made for fishing, so they have to be modified to fit what I want to get out of them.

Like Mark, I looked seriously at the Zpacks Multipack. I just didn't want to mess with changing it and preferred to start from scratch. Or the Umpqua ZeroSweep chest pack--it looked really interesting at first, but the buckles where the harness connects are all on the back, which rules out wearing a backpack and the chest pack at the same time (unless you buy there backpack, which has all sorts of other issues for someone who knows how they should carry and how a harness should integrate with the load carrying mechanisms, etc.).

So in the end, it was either have Chris build it for me or do it myself slowly and painstakingly.

New Topic Add Reply