It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:07

New Topic Add Reply
Tip Top Guide
Post 17 May 2017, 10:38 • #1 
Guide
I have a Browning Silaflex 9'. It has been shortened (probably an accident) by the previous owner by about an inch or so. It came with a spinning rod tip top. So far, I haven't been able to find a fly rod tip top that will fit. Here is my question. Do you think I could wrap a single foot guide on the tip and then fill in the hole at the end of the rod with something? I admit it might not look all that great, but I think it will work. I don't plan on selling it anyway. Any other suggestions?
Joe

Re: Tip Top Guide
Post 17 May 2017, 10:45 • #2 
Master Guide
I think if I really couldn't find a big enough fly tiptop--and I bet you can, how big is it?--I'd stick with the spinning rod guide before using a single foot fly guide in it's place. Or, I'd find a more fly-guide looking spinning guide and replace it with that.

Post 17 May 2017, 10:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
On my lighter weight rods I often put a single foot guide for the tiptop. Works great, never had an issue.

You can find a guide if you look, how big do you need??

Post 17 May 2017, 11:05 • #4 
Master Guide
magic has more experience than I do, so there you go! :)

Post 17 May 2017, 11:19 • #5 
Guide
I don't have a good way to measure, but the best I can measure across the end of the rod is 3 mm.
Joe

Post 17 May 2017, 12:07 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
http://www.mudhole.com/Pac-Bay-Fly-Rod- ... T-FTL-FTXL

Post 17 May 2017, 14:49 • #7 
Sport
take a set of digital mic's and ck the end and 1" down

i have 100 or so tip tops

u can put a fly top or a spinning top have a ton of both

does it have foulproof guides or regular
is it a fly rod or a spinning rod

a sgl foot guide will tangle and get caught a lot. tried it 30 or do years ago. couldnt make it work. prettu sure i got 1 u can use

n/charge lmk

jjw

Post 17 May 2017, 16:00 • #8 
Master Guide
Somebody surely will be able to help you out here. A few years ago Andy Manchester graciously sent me a size 8 tiptop that I thought I needed but I eventually found out it was too big because I poorly measured. Actually needed a 7.

A tip you might find helpful to determine the size is to find a drill bit set that has sizing holes. Probably find any number of sets that will work in a hardware store and they should just let you slide the tip in without having to buy the set. They also probably have a hole template separate you can use. Just remember the sizes of TT's are in 64th so just convert.
Example: a hole diameter of 3/32" = 6/64 = size 6 TT Might have to do a little rounding in some cases but not often.

JEN

Post 17 May 2017, 17:27 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I have used a single foot guide as a tip top without issue. Not sure how much fouling is different than a fly tip top. I actually experience the inverse.

May not be the norm but I have been using SiC single foot guides with great performance results.

Post 17 May 2017, 18:42 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Somehow I seem to have a boat load of large, gold colored tip tops. I probably have others as well. Somehow I seem to accumulate large tip tops and they keep getting in my way (until I need one, and then I can't find one).

If you can Mic it, I'm sure someone can help. If you have a good selection of drill bits, you could use them to size the spinning reel tiptop that came on it.

the sizes (4,4.5,5, ... ) are 64ths of an inch. Conveniently drill bits come in those sizes too. You can use the cylindrical end for better fitting, since the drill end is sometime a bit ragged.

Carl

Post 17 May 2017, 18:49 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I think I know how you have those gold tops 8)

Post 17 May 2017, 19:03 • #12 
Master Guide
Ive done it...yep it doesn't look real nice but it works.
Go to a pawn shop(they always have micrometers and calipers and measure it or Habor Frieght has like $5 calibers...once you know the size you can find the right size tip top.

Post 17 May 2017, 19:36 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I got this 10/64" bruiser from Rick's Rods in Denver: http://www.ricksrods.com/

Not a pure fly tip but looks better to me than a spin tip. It was the only #10, but he has them in smaller sizes. The biggest fly tips I've seen in catalogs are #7 1/2.

Before I found the #10, I considered both the single-foot solution and gluing in a stent to protrude just enough for the tiptop to abut the blank.

Post 17 May 2017, 20:02 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Stent....that reminds me.....I went to take the tip top off of some rod I had....can't recall what.. and they had a little piece of metal sticking out of the glass that the tip top was mounted on!!! Sooo, I had a rod that had a tip that was maybe 3/4" short.....and I put a short length of spring wire into tip, then mounted tip top, worked great.

Post 17 May 2017, 20:50 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
A paper Clip will work in a pinch,but your not in a pinch.
Bring the rod to your closest tackle shop for a replacement tip top.
Even if they don't have a fly rod tip top they can size it for you.
Then order a proper tip top of the correct size from one of the Vendors that sell them,or your local guy can probably do that for you as well.
Do it right or don't bother.
Tight Lines And Use The Correct Hardware Loops
Andy M

Post 18 May 2017, 12:50 • #16 
Guide
This is a fly rod and I had much rather have a regular fly rod tip top than a spinning or casting rod one. In the drill bit index it slides in perfectly to the 7/64 or .109 slot. Anyone have one that size they would sell me?
Joe

Post 18 May 2017, 13:55 • #17 
Master Guide
Not to complicate things but do you have a preference for:

- color/finish: chrome, black, something else?
- loop size: normal, large or something else?
- something else?

I'll look and see but my guess is some of these guys that are a bunch more serious than me will have what you need. Of course, you can probably find one from an online vendor (mudhole, etc) but you'll pay more in shipping than for that size 7 TT. If I have a spare one, I'll just mail it like a letter. Jim

Post 18 May 2017, 14:03 • #18 
Master Guide
oldsaltnfla wrote:
This is a fly rod and I had much rather have a regular fly rod tip top than a spinning or casting rod one. In the drill bit index it slides in perfectly to the 7/64 or .109 slot. Anyone have one that size they would sell me?
Joe

Is this the tip of the rod you're measuring with the drill gauge? If so, then you need a number 7. Shouldn't be too difficult to come by.

BB

Post 18 May 2017, 17:11 • #19 
Guide
nielson, I have no preference as to style or color, as long as it if s fly rod tip top and it fits. Thanks in advance.

bvandeuson, yes this is the tip of the rod, so it is a size number 7.

Joe

Post 19 May 2017, 04:45 • #20 
Master Guide
oldsaltnfla wrote:
nielson, I have no preference as to style or color, as long as it if s fly rod tip top and it fits. Thanks in advance.

bvandeuson, yes this is the tip of the rod, so it is a size number 7.

Joe

If that's what the drill gauge said...7/64ths.

Tip tops go by the first number, like 4 for 4/64ths, etc.

Not to confuse you, there are some sizes in between, like 4.5, or 5.5 but they apply mostly to the smaller tips on graphite rods.

BB

Post 20 May 2017, 06:29 • #21 
Master Guide
I have one: Chrome large loop. Send me a pm with your address and I'll get it to you. Jim

New Topic Add Reply