It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:43

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 May 2017, 13:03 • #1 
Guide
I've been hanging onto a 7' 5wt, 2pc Fisher glass blank that I bought on ebay about 12 years ago. Getting sick of worried I'll wreck it and finally going to build it out. Would like to do it Winston-style but not sure what that would be or if someone back in the day (Hardy, SA, etc) built this model in a better configuration than Winston.

I've got the guides and can work on spacing but am wondering about the grip and seat. Likely be wrapping the guides in burgundy unless someone has a better plan. The blank is the classic old cocoa brown, white spigot.

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated!!!

Dave

Post 13 May 2017, 14:27 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Dave, I have a better idea. SEND ME THE BLANK!

Kidding aside, that is a nice blank. Search the forum pages and you'll find lots of info and pictures. The vintage ones I've seen have dark wine colored wraps and light gray tipping. The older ones had full wells grips, some with cork seat and cap and band hardware, others with downlocking screw lock with wood spacer, some with all metal downlockers.

Post 13 May 2017, 14:30 • #3 
Master Guide
Sounds like you have a good plan. Burgundy looks nice on the brown. Add some black tipping on the wraps, some spirals for good measure, a thread hosel on the cork grip and a nice pocketed down locking reel seat and it'll be a beautiful thing.

Most important is doing something that YOU find attractive. with the blank having been on hand for 12 years, take your time to make it extra special. Wouldn't want to rush it now. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! I'm always jealous of the guys with those old fisher blanks to build on :)

Post 13 May 2017, 14:51 • #4 
Guide
Thanks Guys,

When I bought it on ebay I paid WAY too much ($120.00) after a bidding war. Now I wish I'd bought a dozen of them. It came in the clear plastic sleeve and Fisher Glass tag stapled to the top marked $35.00.

Wondering about the grip and reel seat. Seems it should be a simple style build and not all pimped-up but tastefully cool...

Post 13 May 2017, 17:36 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I think a burgundy/rust/copper thread would look great. I think that picketpin's listing of a downlocker is a good idea. zebra wood as an insert always looks good on those blanks too!

Post 13 May 2017, 18:06 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Just to be sure--we'd love to see pics anyhow--is it a Fisher-made blank for Winston, or is it a stock Fisher blank. Not sure how the old Ebay listing might have described it, because either could be called "Fisher." Not to accurately describe the colors, but to distinguish between them, the Winston proprietary blanks by Fisher were distinctly reddish. The standard Fisher brown blanks were just a touch "rusty." Side by side, the Winston would be distinctly reddish brown and the Fisher just brown. Either looks great in standard Winston dress, but as folks suggest color combos it might be helpful to know which or to see a pic. Some of the later Fisher Glass factory rods appear more reddish and used black thread and white tipping.

By searching here, you can turn up Winstons and various Fisher custom builds. On the Fisher brown color, search up some SA System rods and Cortland Leon Chandler.

These are all in hallmark classic style that Winston did as well or better than anybody. Rust is a good color for the thread--burgundy, mahogany, whatever depending on the blank tone. I've used a fairly reddish thread on a couple recent ones, but on the classic Fisher brown, I like to keep the colors quiet:

Post 14 May 2017, 08:28 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry, my good camera isn't handy, but I tried some cellphone snapshots of the late '70s Winston catalog to give you some ideas. They are almost too poor to post, but maybe they will inspire someone else to put up some good pics (or find my camera). You could probably find a Cal-Air reel seat, for instance, and certainly one of similar style. You might get more ideas by looking at the catalog in "Rod Papers" here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1043

Post 14 May 2017, 08:36 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
If you like the redness of the Winston blanks, you can bring that out on the more brown Fisher blank by component choice and thread color:

Post 14 May 2017, 09:12 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Here is a 7.5' 5wt Winston with a Rosewood and aluminum reel seat. The reel seat is a requested option, as it was originally offered with a cork sliding band and pocketed cap reel seat configuration.
Please excuse the poor quality of the picture. The rod has a standard wells grip, not the new style thin type with an knurled aluminum winding check. The rod is wrapped in a deep burgundy thread (no color preserver on burgundy) , chrome perfection tip top and guides. It also has a chrome hook keeper.
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 14 May 2017, 09:30 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Not Winston-style, but thought I'd join the Fisher-fest. I finished out this 7' Fisher with a Varmac two-toned downlocking metal reel seat, cigar grip, gudebrod nylon A #541 thread, white accent wraps.

Post 14 May 2017, 09:38 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I am with picketpin on this one, with a fisher, brown is the way to go. You might even try trim wraps of white or beige - even gold.

Post 14 May 2017, 09:50 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Duncan0 wrote:

Wondering about the grip and reel seat. Seems it should be a simple style build and not all pimped-up but tastefully cool...

I really think this build of a Morgan blank by Fine Tackle exemplifies "tastefully cool". A modern build that gives a nod to the great Fisher/Winston tradition.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47929&hilit=morgan

Post 14 May 2017, 11:30 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
A PM was sent this morning with an offer of Period reel seats,put aside especially for Fisher Blanks,
also offered over 1000 threads to choose from.

While the linked Morgan has it's fan club, it's not in tune with the timeless style of when these blanks were offered.
The reel seat while artistically trendy or different to me obviously has form fit and function issues.
Fisher blanks are made to be fished not passed around at cocktail parties.
No insult intended just my honest opinion.

My 1st FFR Post
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2214

Tight Lines And Traditional Hardware Lasts A Lifetime Or 2 Loops
Andy M

Post 14 May 2017, 12:19 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I'm sure the builder would take no offense at your comments Andy, after all you're trying to sell a reel seat. I can tell you the rod fishes quite well, no issues at all. The OP said he wanted simple and tasteful. I tried to provide a link to your "forget-me-not" build with the lilac colored wraps for a different perspective on simple and tasteful but the photos are so old they no longer exist.

Post 14 May 2017, 19:12 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Goes to show you have absolutely no clue what it's about for me.
I could care less about selling a reel seat,in fact I've given away more rods and reel seats than you've likely ever handled.
Gave away 6 reel seats this month alone and 2 rods.
Just offered a rod last night for a casting contest prize out of kindness.

You think my kind offer and honest opinion were greed based.
Some sick twist to sell a &&&&&& reel seat ?

I recently deleted over 4000 rod pictures however if you want I can show you some very old pictures of rods.
Old rod pictures, I have rod pictures of rods I made I'd bet that are older than you are.

No worries though I have some recent pictures of a sweet 7' Sceptre in the photo section,the rod pictured is a good representation of my work..not my best but I'll gladly put that rod next to anyone's.

You dare to paint me with your brush,with your attempt to imply I'm driven by greed.

This is what you get for trying to help a fellow find what he's looking for !
Or is it because I dared have an honest opinion ?

Tight Lines And Twisted Loops
Andy M

Post 15 May 2017, 07:06 • #16 
Guide
Andy,

I got your PM and will reply privately but am in no way put-off by your kind offer. It's actually what I'd hoped someone would post in regards to help/info/etc.

As far as the blank itself, it is a Fisher labeled item. I'll get a picture later but the tag is yellow and brown with Fisher's Carson City address. Looking at it in the light I see no hint of red but have been called colorblind in the past. The only difference I've noticed between this and the old Winstons is that this has a light brown spigot whereas the Winstons I've seen are white.

Dave

Post 15 May 2017, 11:55 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Ya you gotta watch out for me ! I'm the guy your Mother warned you about.
"The Reel Seat Pusher" Often seen hanging around the school yard waiting with my Stash of 30 year old Reel Seats for my next Victim.
Here's what I had in mind for you,be careful they are addictive.
Shown with a Sceptre Blank on top and Fisher on the bottom.
Tight Lines And Busted Loops :lol
The Pusher :eek

Post 16 May 2017, 12:58 • #18 
Guide
You are a bad influence in a good way Andy.

Post 16 May 2017, 13:35 • #19 
Guide
Going to buy a seat from Andy (on the far right) and likely doomed to a life living under a bridge begging for cash to score flor grade cork.

Post 16 May 2017, 15:09 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Hello DuncanO
Just got back from the post office the package is on it's way.
Keep you fingers crossed the Reel Seat & Silk Dogs Don't get a whiff.
Tossed in 5 Spools of J&P coats silk you can't find anymore,it's the really good stuff.
I know you said you were set on thread you may change your mind.
Look on the bright side at least there's paroled trouts under the bridge to keep you company. :(
Tight Lines And Sale Of The Century Loops
Andy M

Post 16 May 2017, 18:53 • #21 
Guide
Duncan0 wrote:
Going to buy a seat from Andy (on the far right) and likely doomed to a life living under a bridge begging for cash to score flor grade cork.

Spare a dollar?

Post 16 May 2017, 19:20 • #22 
Guide
dmiller328 wrote:
You are a bad influence in a good way Andy.

Good choice for the seat, it looks slick with that cool butt cap.

Post 17 May 2017, 07:43 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
All kidding aside I was very glad to help Duncan0 find what he was looking for.
Can't wait to see what he selects for thread colors and wrap style.

It's always fun to see other peoples creative juices flowing,Hopefully Duncan0 will share the process with us here as the project unfolds.

If you need any help, advice or just want to chat rod building be sure to contact me I'll be glad to help.

Tight Lines And Old Fisher Blank Loops
Andy M

Post 17 May 2017, 11:10 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Great pick on that seat choice Duncan! I think it will look sweet on that blank. Can't wait to see the outcome.

Post 21 Jun 2017, 11:03 • #25 
Guide
EARLY VINTAGE WINSTON'S HAD FOR THE MOST PART USED ALLEN REEL SEATS 5 LINE & UP
& FULL WELL GRIPS . THE FERULE WERE WHITE SOME LATER IN 2 COLORS OF BROWN

MOST OF THE EARLY WRAPS WERE SUNSET THREADS SOME WERE DONE IN SILK
LATER IN NYLON LOOK AT PICTURE ON EARLY WINSTON'S ON LINE

COLORS OF THE BLANKS HAD MANY VARIATIONS

RANDY

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply