It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:55

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 May 2017, 11:57 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Guide placement and size charts are a good starting point for any guide selection exercise.
Static deflection samples are the next step,followed by adjustments in guide size and location,test casting is critical.

Most of the time we end up making visual trade offs,remember the size and spacing that performs the best is the only choice.
By that I mean if the spacing winds up with guides that look out of place that's not the most important factor in correctly placing a guide set.Performance is the key factor.

Guide placement is a common pitfall for the casual rod tinker, especially when the rod blank tells you one thing and someones chiseled in stone guide size and placement chart tells you the opposite.

Can't tell you how many times I've had brand new rods come in for a complete guide reassessment with either some slight changes only changing or adding a guide or 2,or in more serious cases sometimes it's a complete guide set replacement.

Work with the Spine or back Bone of the blank never against it,when your static testing look to see if the rod during the flex curve tends to deflect to one side or the other left or right of center.
If so move the guides the opposite direction of the deflection until you find the plane on the axis where the blank tracks straight under load.
Following this very simple step can make the difference between a rod that tracks straight or throws curves and tailing loops.

This business of the rod blank length plus one,that's fine but if under sampling the blank indicates it needs 1 or 2 more guides or less guides or a guide either side of a ferrule,or 3" from the tip top and so on follow what the blank tells you.

We can all argue until the cows come home about our amazing methods,all I know is what works best for me.
Your welcome to do it your way, her way, the way you read in a book, what this one or that one tells you, maybe I'm full of crap !
Honestly I could care less how anybody else determines there guide size and placement,In the end maybe the fish don't really care that much either, or do they ?

Tight Lines And Tape The Guides On And Sample Them First Loops ;)
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 26 May 2017, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 May 2017, 17:32 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Good advice Andy. I'll take my time and play around with guide placement. Thanks!

Post 13 Jul 2017, 16:36 • #28 
Hi! I'm currently about to build out that same blank. May I ask, what did you wind up doing guide-wise?

Cheers,
Mr. E. Kipp
Seattle

Post 14 Jul 2017, 21:48 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Mr. Kipp,

I haven't built it yet. Based on recommendations from this thread, I was going to start with 1/0, 1/0, 1/0, 1/0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 8mm and see how it looks and casts.

Researching this site I found that Gaddis listed some spacing for this rod, which to me seems like a good starting point:
4 1/2, 9 5/8, 15 1/4, 21 1/2, 28 1/4, 35 5/8, 43 5/8, 52 1/8, and 61 1/4 ".

Let me know what you come up with! Thanks!

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply