It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:55

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Apr 2017, 18:08 • #26 
Guide
Thanks BB, I appreciate your tips again.

I did re-do a couple of wraps on the tips as they appeared too long for my liking and today I mixed up some FC Lite and watered it down with some DNA and plan on putting on a couple extra coats later on, slightly thicker but not too thick. I hate little "footballs".

On those re-wraps, I found the more irritated I got with it the more I just "got to it" and didn't diddle around - the better it went!

Post 29 Apr 2017, 22:00 • #27 
Guide
Well, she's done, my first - an' it ain't pretty so I'm not posting pics.!!

Seems even though I opted to use YLI-100, which I figure is a rather "large" thread compared to what I've seen used on my bamboo's (Gossamer), I did in fact likely over-wrap a wrap or two as well as have a few tiny (HUGE!) tags/bumps that stuck up very proud of the wraps in general. Not on all guides but on a few, enough to make a guy feel like a 9 yr. old!!

Of course I made a few "popsicle stix" out of some wooden slips and glued a strip or two of 400 grit to them and "dusted" off the FC/DNA diluted wraps after a couple of coats and of course I ended up with a bunch'a fuzzies and of course they look like crap!!!

Still, I learned a good lesson in patience and will fish the rod as is, unfortunately. In time I hope to strip the guides off for a re-do if that won't mess with the finish on the glass blank. Don't know there but I'll read up and find out I guess.

I'm at a loss as to just how you guys get some beautiful looking wraps in your close-ups as I've seen but I guess that will come in time. Either that or I'll just keep buying rods and settle with being an expert on my table saw...

Time'll tell but it a fun effort. Thanks all for your suggestions. This is just a beginning but I don't have a lot of time left so I'm just going fishing!!

Jeremy.

Post 30 Apr 2017, 05:56 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
There is no such thing as a perfect finish, and photoshop hides a number of blemishes.

You have just built your first glass rod and are about to catch fish with it. It appears to me you have done things right. And you have started down that slippery slope we here are all on. Welcome to the obsession! Wait until your next rod!
:)

Post 30 Apr 2017, 11:18 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Jeremy wrote:
Still, I learned a good lesson in patience and will fish the rod as is, unfortunately. I

I continue to learn these lessons with each build I do ;)

I, the third rod I built is one that I'm not particularly proud of, but it gets fished regularly and I have no plans for a rebuild on that rod. Fish the rod and enjoy it.

Many blanks can be stripped without problems. Some can not. It really depends on how the blank was coated/painted.

Post 30 Apr 2017, 11:54 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
So true Carl. I try to improve my thread and finish work and, if I'm feeling ambitious, learn something new with each project. As a hobbyist, I find that tinkering and trying something new is half the fun. Sure, you will botch stuff, make mistakes -- boy do I know that! But you do-over -- no biggie. I get in the most trouble when I try to take shortcuts or rush. My mantra is "SLOW DOWN." Easier said than done :-).

Post 05 Dec 2019, 09:56 • #31 
Sport
Tom S wrote:
carlz wrote:
If you think silk is bad, try doing two turn trim bands with metalic thread.

I have done one spinning rod with metallic thread at a friend's request. Blue metallic wraps with red accents. I hated it and will avoid it if at all possible again. I found it springy, easy to damage the coating, and did not like the look. That rod would have looked 10 times better with NCP thread.

I am working my first 3 turns metallic thread trim bands, that thing is a pain specially on small guides. Seems to be too thick when pulled under silk. Let's see how the coating turns out.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 12:37 • #32 
Master Guide
When adding metallic trim bands you do not have to trap the tag end under the main wrap or even pull the tag end under. Here is a video demonstrating the process:

https://www.proofflyfishing.com/pages/h ... -superglue

Post 05 Dec 2019, 12:46 • #33 
Sport
Yes Matt, saw that one a couple times but, I am a disaster with superglue.

As much as I want to control the amount I put, I find it always to be too much even with a toothpick. My previous build has some gold silk trim lines done like that.

I tried with silk not with metallic thread. I have to give the method a second chance with metallic thread.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 16:05 • #34 
Guide
Speaking of metallic thread I was recently running low on orange/black jasper and went looking for some, only spool i found was used and seller wanted $30 for it so I ordered some from China. What came was two spools of metallic thread one had a copper color foil twisted w/black thread the other was gold colored foil twisted with black thread (they were supposed to be the same). This stuff is much worse than the normal metallic to work with and the foils are broken in places leaving a black streak that is noticeable in the middle of wraps. The foil is big enough that it ends up looking like a custom paint job with huge flake sparkling in the sun, really glad I put it on a beater spinning rod I'm redoing, not sure I'd want this look on a fly rod (not a fan of jasper threads but I needed some for a rod I intend to restore and this was done as a test of the Chinese jasper).

Post 05 Dec 2019, 18:32 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Metallic is indeed a pain. I use color preserver on the trim band to get rid of the spring effect. Don't trim the tags until the CP has dried for at least 15 minutes. If not using CP on the mains, this method won't work as you'd inevitably get CP where you don't want it.

I was taught to use metallic trim but have gone almost completely to plain thread. I can't even imagine wrapping an entire rod with metallic. Tom S, you must've been fit to be tied at the end of that ordeal!

Post 25 Jan 2020, 01:07 • #36 
Sport
Do you do them (say 6 wraps) and then walk/burnish them up to the foot of the guide?

Thanks,

Allan

Post 25 Jan 2020, 13:11 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Start your wrap on the blank, but don't cut the tag end of the underwrap. Keep going toward the foot. Pull the tag end to keep the wrap short and uniform. When you have your 6 to 10 wraps or so to the foot of the guide, lay the tag end on the foot. It becomes a cushioning ramp to start up the foot. Take two or three wraps, and pull the tag end a bit more to snug everything toward the foot. Take a few more wraps and cut the tag end. Now you have a well packed--but not too tight--wrap with a the tag end up the foot a few thread's width--right where gaps, if any, usually show the most. They won't because of the tag end underneath.

Another way to think of it is that you can continuously pack your thread by pulling the underwrapped tag end. If that can't be done for the first 6 to 10 wraps, they are tighter than need be.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply