It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:10

New Topic Add Reply
LL Bean project.
Post 10 Apr 2017, 20:52 • #1 
Hello, I'm looking for a cap and ring seat for a Beans LL featherweight glass rod.
It's the Phillipson 7.5 with all cork handle that is otherwise perfect except the missing seat. I had hopes that the cap and ring seats I have would work but even the garrison style Belinger .680 just slides tightly over the cork as it is now. Does anyone have these larger diameter vintage cap and rings? The cork is not mortised. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: LL Bean project.
Post 10 Apr 2017, 22:12 • #2 
Administrator
Check with Rick's Rods in Denver. He has an amazing collection of NOS Phillipson parts.

Tom

Post 11 Apr 2017, 09:05 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Can tell you from my recent experience that what you seek is very difficult to find.
In restoring a Phillipson Royal with the same cap and ring set up that had unfortunately been ruined in storage.
A 6 month long search for the original hardware Starting at Ricks Rods began,after this long search by not only myself but the rods owner as well,we finally gave up.
The only option really was to find another rod with the original hardware as a donor,that was cost prohibitive.

Then began the search for an appropriate replacement from available hardware.
After weeks of looking, trial and error samples etc, etc, etc.

We purchased a Nickle Silver Cap And Ring From Ray Lee Reel Seats for $20.00.
It was the closest we could find anywhere and worked out great.
Honestly it's much better quality than the original aluminum hardware,If you want Ray can blue it for you as well to match your presumably black originals

I'm sure you will get all kinds of suggestions as to whom to try,trust me we tried them all.

Tight Lines And Cap And Ring Loops
Andy M

Post 11 Apr 2017, 09:50 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
If you get something from Ray Lee, you might ask if he can stretch the Inside diameter of the cap and ring. He told me once that he could. He sells a quality product.

Post 11 Apr 2017, 11:06 • #5 
Master Guide
Glassmaster is correct as to the rarity of original Phillipson replacement caps.

Have had a few pleasant dealings with Mr. Lee for reel seats and hardware. Other fine craftsmen exist yet when you start to go with a custom order the price will increase.

The custom rod crafters who contribute photographs on the pages within the glass forums have demonstrated a great deal of artistry in the past.

Post 11 Apr 2017, 14:30 • #6 
Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I knew I was asking for an uncommon item. The replies have it right- a cap for a Royal is needed but hard to come by. I have bought from Ray Lee in the past and they are excellent. Looks like a stretched pocketed cap version from Ray will come pretty close if a vintage one doesn't show up.

New Topic Add Reply