It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:19

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Mar 2017, 13:19 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks! The glue is curing now. The other seat is usable as is; I just have to stuff a piece of cork etc. into the butt cap so it'll make contact all around a blank end. If I put it on a slimmer blank, I may not even have to do that. This blank is pretty big, .557" at the butt.

I used Pro Paste, not yet having a glue gun, and would need to do some process work before going 'live' with the hot-melt material. I did try some Ferrl-Tite with the trim ring, but didn't get good adhesion. The thin bead of glue popped right off. Possible I didn't get the glue hot enough.

Post 28 Mar 2017, 20:45 • #27 
Master Guide
Not anecdotal but empirical: here in coastal SC and hot areas all over the world I've had customers complain about their tiptops becoming misaligned. In every case, it's because the rod (usually in the tube and sock) was left in either the passenger compartment or trunk of a car, windows closed, or trunk closed, whichever was pertinent. And for long periods of time. This with the standard Flex Coat hot melt TT adhesive. I don't use epoxy on the TT for obvious reasons (in case I need to realign the TT with the rest of the guides on a section), but people need to be aware that the hot melt glue CAN give issues at high ambient temps.

Post 29 Mar 2017, 09:36 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Good to know, and not surprising. I read somewhere that the newer product has been reformulated and may now have a higher melting point. Based on that sketchy impression, I bought a block of Ferrl-Tite brand (same as Flex Coat, I'm told) at an archery shop and used it yesterday to install the tip top on a Steffen blank. It did behave differently than my older Flex Coat stick in that it seemed to take more exposure to the flame to melt, threw more "Angel hair" strings, and was definitely easier to clean up the excess (not as gummy, and more brittle). I hope to not do the hot-car test!

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply