It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:57

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Jan 2017, 15:47 • #1 
Guide
I just picked up this old yellow Fenwick FL 84-5 on Ebay. It's a fly rod blank, 7' 5wt, but it's only one piece. I don't mind. I have a couple of Cabela's Prime rods and I like them. This rod seems to have a similar action. The strangest part is that someone installed a spinning grip and reel seat. After cutting off the grip and seat, I found a stress crack under the seat, so that might be why the builder made it a spinning rod. I'm going to give it a wooden grip, so that will support the blank in that area and it will be fine. Should be a fun and interesting build.

Post 26 Jan 2017, 17:15 • #2 
Master Guide
Looks like a great find and will make for a good project.
If you're not firm about the wood grip, you probably could just add a stent beneath the crack and then use cork. Would also be pretty easy to add metal ferrules or spigots and get yourself a 2-4 piece.
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Jim

Post 26 Jan 2017, 17:27 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I purchased an old yellow FL84 2pc off EBay several years ago. It was also made up as a spinning rod. Stripped it, new guides, handle and reel seat and made it into a very nice fly rod. Because I have a bug about ease of transportation, I decided to make it into a 3pc rod. Just put on the last coat of thread epoxy. I think it turned just fine. By the way, I was watching that rod you got on EBay but got outbid. Thought since it was a one piece, making a 3pc would be easy. Roy

Post 27 Jan 2017, 06:26 • #4 
Guide
Ferruling is a good idea. I might try that down the road.

Post 13 Aug 2017, 12:41 • #5 
Guide
I started this thread back in January when I first purchased this rod from Ebay. Since the original photos were posted using PhotoBucket, here they are again.

I finally finished the rebuild a couple of weeks ago. When I removed the old spinning grip and reel seat, I discovered an old fracture under the reel seat, so I made a wooden grip to ensure that it would not present a problem. I used Hawaiian Koa given to me by a friend. For thread I used a dark brown nylon. My hand was recovering from surgery at the time so I used a single color to save steps. Finish was 6 coats of varnish from Golden Witch. The varnish was also applied to the grip.

I cast it on the lawn today and it feels really nice. I'm going to try it out tomorrow on some brookies in the Shenandoah National Park.

Post 13 Aug 2017, 16:49 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice!

Post 14 Aug 2017, 08:35 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
The FL 845 made an excellent UL Spinning rod and often was built out as such.
Interestingly enough the 5' and 6' UL Spinning blanks also make exceptional small stream fly rods.
Your remake looks to have been very well done, I especially like the turned grip,your choice of an up lock reel seat isn't exactly my cup of tea,to my eye it looks out of balance however to each their own.
Tight Lines And Remade Fenwick Loops
Andy M

Post 14 Aug 2017, 14:49 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I like the simple wraps, you've done good!

And I love the old automatic!! Now if it just had a downlocking seat it would reek of CLASSIC!

Post 14 Aug 2017, 16:27 • #9 
Guide
majicwrench wrote:
I like the simple wraps, you've done good!

And I love the old automatic!! Now if it just had a downlocking seat it would reek of CLASSIC!

The Glass Master wrote:
Hello
The FL 845 made an excellent UL Spinning rod and often was built out as such.
Interestingly enough the 5' and 6' UL Spinning blanks also make exceptional small stream fly rods.
Your remake looks to have been very well done, I especially like the turned grip,your choice of an up lock reel seat isn't exactly my cup of tea,to my eye it looks out of balance however to each their own.
Tight Lines And Remade Fenwick Loops
Andy M

I agree with both of you concerning the downlocking reel seat. I need to find a source for downlockers...they seem rare these days.

Post 14 Aug 2017, 16:45 • #10 
Master Guide
I think it looks great. If you get a chance can you post a close-up of the grip? I'd love to see it.

Post 14 Aug 2017, 17:00 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Agree on a picture of the grip.

The downlocker, is really fine, just not quite......

Post 15 Aug 2017, 17:37 • #12 
Inactive
You will enjoy that rod

Post 15 Aug 2017, 20:35 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Great job!

Post 18 Aug 2017, 18:03 • #14 
Guide
As requested, more pictures of the handle. I found koa to be very easy to work with.

ImageImage

Post 19 Aug 2017, 12:22 • #15 
Master Guide
Thanks for the additional pics. That grip is sweet.

Post 22 Aug 2017, 14:18 • #16 
Master Guide
Pack bay makes aluminum spinning reel seats in black and silver with optional but plugs and a similar seat with walnut and rosewood inserts for downlock. Ye old fly shop has a nickle silver downlock with burl insert for under $30. Rick's rods in Denver has a lot of old new stock clasic reel seats. Proof fly fishing has a nice line of downlockng seets. ;)

Post 25 Aug 2017, 13:27 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I didn't think I would like a wood grip but that one is very nice.

Post 25 Aug 2017, 14:43 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Stonefly wrote:
I didn't think I would like a wood grip but that one is very nice.

Same here. I'm pretty open to options other than cork, but until this build, wood never made the cut. This is really nicely done.

Post 25 Aug 2017, 16:51 • #19 
Guide
Wow thanks!

Post 30 Aug 2017, 04:11 • #20 
Inactive
Hello,

I at one time owned a 84-5, a 90-5, 2 x 96-5's and 3 x 72-6 1 pc fly rods. Excellent fishing tools. These are nice blanks. Today I still own a yellow 72-6 1pc 6'1" 4/5wt and a brown see through 1 pc blank (like the FF double digit blanks) 6'4" 4/5wt Fenwicks. I love them. The brown one I will get back from a complete make over next month. The yellow one is right here. Its the fly rod that got me fishing glass, collecting one piece, unusual and rare rods.

By all means i overpaid for it, but it has expand my joy of fishing into fiberglass fly rods so it was worth every penny. Even still this guy will toss a variety of lines, is very light in the hand, can toss a 5DT/WF which is useful with a short very flexible fly rod. Modern day anglers would guess a 2wt easily. It loads very quickly with the heavier line. One other thing i like about it is its a very simple build, built to fish.
I don't fish this particular rod but one a year if. Stupid but its special to me,

well that and because my other rods are better :P
:)

Post 30 Aug 2017, 05:29 • #21 
Guide
Very nice. I like that reel seat.

Post 30 Aug 2017, 09:19 • #22 
Inactive
Since there is some interest ill keep this going if you don't mind. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but ill show some of mine in action and throw in some purty pictures to boot. ...

I believe some of these rods should be preserved as is for heritage sake...
I know with a 99% certainty that my 2 1pc FL72-6 Fenwick rods were built in the 60's, i believe the yellow one to be late 60's maybe 70 and the brown one to be early-mid 60's made by amateur early custom rod builders. These 1pc rods, are only a finite resource especially made from this era. These rod model Fenwick's I have found to be where you can find an early original. As everyone keeps making them into 2 and 3pc rods, my value will go up. They are also a delight to fish with really. I am raising a generation of fly-fisherman and I expect to hand these down so one day maybe they are some of the only a few left. You never know...

Here is a 2 pics of the 84-5 2pc I had with 2 nice PA brook trout. This rod had the cork, winding check and reel seat done. Same style, i like them too. No guides came on the rod when I bought it. The blank was in wonderful shape with gloss and label. I had single foot guides put on this one just to be different. It also had some feathers put into the finish. The first picture is a brookie caught in a NCPA beaver pond. The second is the stream leading out.

I liked it but eventually sold it. Was a good 7' 4/5wt pair with a click pawl vintage early orvis battenkill 3/4.

My FL72-6 yellow 1pc is a cool rod and these are the kinds of fish I target with it.

My brown FL72-6 1pc is a dry fly rod delight. Easily and delicately can power 3/5 wt line while. Ive caught 16 inch browns on it but no pics of that sorry but the rod can bend in a U. Still it is one of my favorite all time rods and It mends fairly well at 6'4". I also dig its reel seat. Paired with the same reel.......

Good stream for this rod but it sees smaller tribs more...

I'm just going to throw this fish here. This fish had an amazing color to him. One of the rare photos where the pic did it justice almost. Yes he was really that bright, that's not a filter. Caught in a little fished, very private Pennsylvania Spring Creek. 100% wild.
Thought you'd like that.

Here is the brown FL72-6 1pc Fenwick with a victim :P

Some of these guys were very good and while I am having the brown one redone, making it look like a traditional Fenwick, these guys built 2 awesome rods.
I urge you to not destroy all of the one piece rods. They are unique unto themselves. Get them and find a away to store and haul sometimes, you have a piece of fly fishing history really on a very good blank!

This rainbow was caught in the same very private limestone spring in PA. Stocked but old and look at those colors!

I always liked the look of this NCPA wild brown trout.

Hope you enjoyed!

Post 30 Aug 2017, 10:41 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
nice collection of one-piece fly rods. i agree that while they are not popular, their preservation for historical purposes is worthwhile. great post!

Post 30 Aug 2017, 11:52 • #24 
Inactive
Thank you!
I'm glad you see my point. I wouldn't even redo the brown one but it's cork loss is getting too great and the blank needs a new varnish coat and guides. It's to sweet not to restore and fish. Original Builder unknown
The yellow one will remained preserved and it even has the rod builders name still on it.

Post 31 Aug 2017, 09:39 • #25 
Guide
Those are some really nice pictures. I do like 1-piece rods. I also have 4 of the Cabela's Primes, and I'm just finishing a 5.5' bamboo rod for 5 wt. pictures soon

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply