It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:32

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Aug 2017, 10:46 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
A mainstay of the rodbuilding trade, the Fenwick yellow glass rods were an excellent series, often sold in one-piece form for ferrule installation (or not) as preferred by the builder This was at the time that metal ferrule fittings prevailed, although even then a hobby or custom shop innovator very likely installed self-made sleeve or spigot ferrules. As glass-to-glass ferrules were developed (and accepted in the market place), they were sold in factory produced sleeve-ferrule form, the way I purchased my FL72-6 in the early 1970s. I don't recall if, during this transition, they could also be purchased uncut, but quite likely. The FL 72-6 was/is a 6 weight, the label nomenclature being length in inches followed by recommended line weight. I still have mine rebuilt as a pure fly rod; originally I build it as a fly spin combo. Been way too busy to fuss with PB pics, but this "catalog" discussion will still be of interest, and maybe a few others have refreshed their pics: viewtopic.php?p=124703#p124703

Post 31 Aug 2017, 22:59 • #27 
Inactive
Spot on and lovely post. I've read all the yellow Fenwick posts on the board at one time or another.
These are neat and useful rods. The thing very cool about them is IMO, any fan of glass should have a regular Fenwick if they don't. The FF 2digit and FF 3 digit rods were one of the best production glass made. The FL series were great blanks.
I pick my favorite out of the bunch and keeped them . The FL72-6 is my favorite and yes it is rated six but my rods are 3/5's . I've tried six but it makes it feel to "sloppy slow".
Either way I have a bunch of Fenwicks. Quality rods that are fun and don't break your bank while being amazing fishing tools.

Post 31 Aug 2017, 23:01 • #28 
Inactive
I did however buy my brown FL72-6 1pc 6'4" at the amazing price of 23 dollars with shipping. :P
The thing has become a go to brookie rod. Very well built and I got on the steal.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply