It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:03

New Topic Add Reply
2/3 wt inexpensive blank
Post 18 Jan 2014, 20:35 • #1 
Guide
I am wanting to build an inexpensive 2/3 wt 7' or smaller rod. This will be a keep in the truck rod. I would prefer to keep it in the SPG $ range. Any suggestions?

Post 18 Jan 2014, 21:24 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know of any glass rods that fit into this category. Any of the SPG type blanks I've seen are at least 5 wt. I have a 5' blank that might be a 4wt in a pinch, but a the spg 780's are 6/7 wt's in my book.

If you check our favorite auction site, there are a few at about $50. There are decent graphite 7'9" 3wt's for significantly less. I would like to hear of any options if you find them.

Post 18 Jan 2014, 21:44 • #3 
Guide
I am not sure what the SPG range is, but last I heard James Green had a blank he referred to as his native trout blank and I believe they are 3 and 4 weights. They are $150 ish but I think sometimes you can pick up a "blemish" from him. I purchased two of his blems and cant see anything wrong with them ...

Post 19 Jan 2014, 02:25 • #4 
Master Guide
http://www.mtnbrookrods.com/fiberglassinfo.html

I don't know anything about them. Just came across them when looking for the same thing as you. I would also like to hear if you come across something good that fits what your looking for.

Post 19 Jan 2014, 10:08 • #5 
Sport
This is graphite, but the Batson RX6 6'6 2wt is a great value, around $28. Very soft rod IMO,but with a 3wt line you can toss some larger flies as well as the small ones.

Post 19 Jan 2014, 13:27 • #6 
Guide
There are the Lamiglas FL series glass blanks that would fit this bill. All are 2-piece but 7'9" or less in length.

Post 20 Jan 2014, 21:38 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
KWDK wrote:
http://www.mtnbrookrods.com/fiberglassinfo.html

I don't know anything about them. Just came across them when looking for the same thing as you. I would also like to hear if you come across something good that fits what your looking for.

Curious if anyone has tried these blanks also. Given that they are sold pretty cheap on the bay I know they are cheap blanks from the Far East, but has anyone built on one?

Post 20 Jan 2014, 22:18 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
From what I can tell the Mountainbrook, Jenkins and similar blanks all come from the same source. I've built a 7'3" four weight with the tip over ferrule. The blank was straight, the ferrule fit was fine, and it seems an honest four weight that casts fairly well with a wf and dt. It will cast a weight up and down in wf, but not as well. Roll casting is fair, it seems to handle a sink tip just fine which somewhat surprised me. Action was a little faster than I had anticipated but not nearly as fast as my graphite 7'6" four weight. Cosmetics aren't great, the tip is unsanded while the back 3/4 of the rod is smooth.

I've only fished it a little, it has only been built about a month and circumstances for fishing haven't been great. I think it will make a good using creek rod but I will probably have more to say when water and fish warm up.

Post 20 Jan 2014, 23:25 • #9 
Master Guide
As far as I know the Mountain Brooks are going to be the closest option. You can create a tip over butt with the spg 601(tip) and 721 (butt) in the 6 1/2' to 7' range but its still going to be a 4 wt on longer water or a 5 wt closer in.

Post 21 Jan 2014, 00:57 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I have built on that blank and it is known by many names on this forum, starting with Steve Jenkins and his PLG. It is a very nice 4wt. Christian (Chform) built on one sometime last year and I think for the price he paid, around $75 as I recall, he thought it was a decent rod for the money.

Post 22 Jan 2014, 08:51 • #11 
Master Guide
You might try getting a couple of the one-piece, 5' UL FG spinning blanks offered by Jann's Netcraft. They are a little over $11 a piece. Butt =. 36" and tip is 5/64. While I can't say for sure, there's a good chance you can make a butt section from one and tip section from the other and build a spigot ferrule to connect them. Link is below if you're interested.

Not sure what you'd end up with but might get close to a rod suited for a lower line weight and probably anywhere from 6-7.5' long. Would be a challenge to figure out where to cut each blank but should make for an interesting tinker project. If I had a use for lightline rod, I'd sure give it a try. Good luck, Jim

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/netcraft-f. .. ss-blanks/

Post 22 Jan 2014, 10:48 • #12 
Master Guide
Why try and build a flyrod from an $11 spin blank? If your going to invest time and effort into a fly rod start with a decent blank, even the Lamiglas honey blanks are selling for $120. So going as cheap as you can is going to get you a real cheap result. The blank is the most important component of a rod, spend a few dollars to get that right.

Post 22 Jan 2014, 11:14 • #13 
Master Guide
You may be right but if you don't want to spend $120 for a blank, what other options are there? By the way, personally, I see no need for a 2, 3 or even 4 wt rod but I appreciate the fact that others do.
Jim

Post 22 Jan 2014, 14:40 • #14 
Master Guide
Maybe the spin blank would work but if it were me I would consider the Mountain Brook option. Or go to a Sevier Tiger Eye graphite. I agree, I have no use for a 2wt rod but I am sure there are others who would. The vintage Orvis far and fine rods were made as really light weight rods.

Post 22 Jan 2014, 15:07 • #15 
Master Guide
The blanks I offer are not to bad for the price tag in my opinion and a lot of members and others have enjoyed building on the blanks while not spending a fortune on the blank. As far as the 2/3 wt, 4piece, its definitely on the full flex side, but not as slow or noodle like as some others. I personally like the packability and hike into some pretty remote places to fish for natives here in the Pa Grand Canyon.
The 7 foot 3 spigot I have now, has seen some improvements in the spigots. The spigot material is now a carbon material which reduces the wt a little. I am still trying to work with the over seas manufacture for improvements, while keeping cost and price tag to a minimum for guys to try a build.

The 2 piece blanks tip over butt blanks I offer, I have learned are sourced from the same manufacturer as others are offering and have offered, under the names of rustic river, river moss, riffle glass (kettle creek tackle) and numerous others. I had the assumption that was the case but hey now I know ... :lol. With that being said, I am still going through quality control and keeping that retail price competitive with everyone else, and offering what I can for the budget minded builder. I still fish all of these blanks and can still verify they can be turned into a pretty darn nice rod. Some members here can verify that.
Cheers
www.mtnbrookrods.com

ImageImageImageImage

Post 22 Jan 2014, 15:33 • #16 
Master Guide
You're wrong, mtnbrook, about your rods being "not too bad for the price ... " If you ask me, they are far more than that; in fact, incredibly well priced is more like it. Thanks for reminding me.
Jim

Post 22 Jan 2014, 15:53 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the update mtnbrook. Sounds as if you are having success in working with the factory to make improvements. Nielsen which mtnbrook blanks have you built? And are there others here who have built any? I'd like to hear from you.

Post 22 Jan 2014, 18:51 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I built his tip over butt 7'3 4wt. It made a very nice rod. I recently sold it to "Kell" on the forum and he seems please.

Bob

Post 22 Jan 2014, 19:41 • #19 
Master Guide
picketpin52,
Regretfully, I've misled you. I've no first hand knowledge of the mountainbrook rods and blanks other than what I've seen on his website. My opinion is based on that alone but still, the price seems very reasonable, the blanks look good in the photos and I'm impressed with the forthright information mtnbrook offers on the source of his blanks. Jim

Post 23 Jan 2014, 10:37 • #20 
Master Guide
I have to agree the Mountain Brook blanks are well done and should build into a great fly rod. I certainly appreciate a supplier trying to keep the cost down to make them affordable to the regular user.

Tim

Post 23 Jan 2014, 13:12 • #21 
Guide
Are any of those "Norie like" still around?

Post 24 Jan 2014, 10:12 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
nielson; great idea on the two spg blanks. I think you could use two and make a 3 weight if you could get a decent ferrule connection-p-

Post 24 Jan 2014, 13:37 • #23 
Master Guide
The spg 601, spg 721 and spg 842 have a similar taper so fit isn't hard with these.

Post 02 Feb 2014, 17:02 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
So I bought the 4 piece 6'6" 2/3 from Mountain Brook and on inspection and "wiggle test" I think it's well worth the money. Started building today, so will finish up likely long before it warms up enough to test it on brookies or bluegills! I'll share impressions once it's built out and I can do some casting.

Cheers

New Topic Add Reply