It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:05

Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 28 Jun 2017, 22:18 • #1026 
Guide
The Glass Master wrote:
...I really love the look of a well made wood inserted reel seat on a fly rod!

Seemed like we agreed there for a second. :P

Actually I still agree that looks aren't more important than performance but can't I have both (for the most part)? I figure that if I'm gonna build it, why not make it look good too? For me, it's a nice piece of wood for the seat if possible.

Post 29 Jun 2017, 09:34 • #1027 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
preast
You asked for opinions I gave you mine and why, it's not about who agrees or disagrees it's what your happy with that only maters on the rods you make.

Quote:
I've heard that over time they compress under the reel foot over time to the point where they won't hold a reel tightly anymore. Has anyone had this experience before? Or is it just an urban legend?

Yes the cork on an all cork seat can compress and become a problem.
It's just like everything else in terms of length of use with a fly rod,first it depends on the quality of cork used,second most important is how well the rod is cared for by it's owner.
If you mount your reel and leave it on the rod for extended periods of time,pushing the rings further up the reel foot each time you use the rod the cork will not last very long.

If you remove the reel each time your done fishing the cork will last virtually a lifetime.
Should the cork become compressed a few seconds over a steaming tea kettle will usually bring it back to it's original form.

How well the reel foot fits the seat to start with has an impact as well,if it's a poor fit try a different reel or ask your rod tinker to help you get the proper fit.

Being a custom rod maker usually I know well in advance what reel is going to be used on a rod I'm making.
The reel is a very important part of each rod project process.
I'd tell you more but I can't let all the cats out of the bag ;)

Tight Lines And Remember The 7 P's Loops
Andy M

Post 29 Jun 2017, 12:35 • #1028 
Just stripped a painted 8 weight blank, not surprisingly the raw appearance leaves a bit to be desired, so I'm going to spray it a different color. I'm looking for both a neon orange, and a turquoise/aqua color. Any recommendations? Fusion's choices are limited.

Post 29 Jun 2017, 16:16 • #1029 
Glass Fanatic
Tom S wrote:
Question about the cork reel seats.

I've heard that over time they compress under the reel foot over time to the point where they won't hold a reel tightly anymore. Has anyone had this experience before? Or is it just an urban legend?

built a 9wt with a cork seat in 1980-something, it is still fine today.

Corks in wine bottles survive decades of constant compression, so I'd be surprised to find a problem in reel seats subjected to occasional compression. With a poorer quality cork, and a reel left on the rod for decades, it might be possible I guess, but not likely.

Post 29 Jun 2017, 20:19 • #1030 
Guide
Test wrap on the proof blank tonight.

Apparently I should only buy black and white thread as I gravitate towards it.

Post 30 Jun 2017, 13:28 • #1031 
Guide
Alright, all done with the H-I Beaverkill rebuild.

First, proof to Andy that I'm good on my word. The Kabob is no more.

Now, some pictures of the finished project. My apologies, I still can't figure out how to get good pictures of a complete rod.

Gave the rod a couple test casts this afternoon. Feels good with a 7wt line, nice and easy to cast and carries the line well. Looking forward to trying it on the water.

Post 30 Jun 2017, 15:33 • #1032 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Nice Post War Bamboo BBQ you should post that for your friends over on Clark's !

Looks nice but where are the guides ? I realize you have problems arranging the 3 sections together for a complete rod picture.

However it looks from your picture like a 8'6" rod with 4 guides where we should be seeing 9 at least ? Out of curiosity how many guides does the rod have now ?

You mentioned how much you liked the new cork, from the picture it looks like a really big grip for a wrestlers hand,do you plan to give it some sort of shape after you get a feel for the rod or do you really have hands the size of Andre The Giant ?

The end grain of that first ring is a tell of the quality of the cork.it looks like Swiss Cheese with all the pits and holes,that grip must have 1/2 a can of filler in it if all the rest of its rings are of the same quality.
Do you plan to ever remove the plastic or is that going to be permanent ?

Nice job on the ferrule clean up ! do they pop when you separate them ?

Okay it cast a 7 weight does it cast a 5 or 6 ?

As usual your thread work and finish look very nice,the blank finish looks a little thin from the pictures what did you use and how many coats ?

Sorry for all the questions the rod really looks much better that it did when it left here that's for dang sure.

Tight Lines And All Spiffed Up And Ready For Action Loops
Andy M

Post 30 Jun 2017, 16:03 • #1033 
Glass Fanatic
I like to see the Kabob burn.. ;-)

nice work on the H-I 'Fish Rod', looking very handsome.

Is that a late-era JW Young/Shakespeare reel ? good choice..

Post 01 Jul 2017, 05:27 • #1034 
Glass Fanatic
That is an honorable end for the souvenir cane: cremation.

I like your re-build of the HI rod, you have given yourself a great deal of experience that will help with future rod building gigs. HI rods are not revered as classics, but many are good fishing rods. The guides do look a little sparse, is that the factory spacing? You can add a few guides in between them so that you come out with one guide for every foot + one.

HI really insulted their own work by using those ferrules - and the way they mounted them is enough to make one cry, you did a good job salvaging them just to get by. One question: I thought I saw a ghost of the inscription giving the rod's model name, in one of the pictures, can you read it?

I bet you will enjoy fishing that rod which you have brought back to fishability. I have a 9 feet HI Governor that I refinished, picked it up at the proverbial estate sale for $5 thing, it is a nice fishing rod, and I fish it at least once every year. It has caught some nice fish.

Now, back to glass!

Post 01 Jul 2017, 06:25 • #1035 
Master Guide
The rod looks great Tom. I think the Ritz grip looks good on cane. Gives it a nice clean modern look, even thought the Ritz is far from a "modern" grip.

Post 01 Jul 2017, 08:30 • #1036 
Glass Fanatic
Tom S wrote:
Test wrap on the proof blank tonight.

Apparently I should only buy black and white thread as I gravitate towards it.

That is a great look. I'm guessing it is white NCP, but is the black also NCP?
It really is a great look. It sets the blank color off.

Post 01 Jul 2017, 08:54 • #1037 
Glass Fanatic
Black, white, and simple primary colors can seem uninspired as we think out a wrap color scheme. By golly, set that aside and just look at it. Inspiration might not be the reason, but there is a reason black, white, and primary colors can look very sharp. I wish my sister-in-law, a watercolorist, were around to explain the aesthetics of it.

For fly rods, "When in doubt, use black," might not be the worst rule of thumb, almost always satisfying the eye if not the imagination.

Post 01 Jul 2017, 09:45 • #1038 
Guide
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

The Glass Master wrote:
Looks nice but where are the guides ? I realize you have problems arranging the 3 sections together for a complete rod picture.

However it looks from your picture like a 8'6" rod with 4 guides where we should be seeing 9 at least ? Out of curiosity how many guides does the rod have now ?

I stuck with the original guide spacing and size, so it's got 6 guides.

The Glass Master wrote:
You mentioned how much you liked the new cork, from the picture it looks like a really big grip for a wrestlers hand,do you plan to give it some sort of shape after you get a feel for the rod or do you really have hands the size of Andre The Giant ?

The end grain of that first ring is a tell of the quality of the cork.it looks like Swiss Cheese with all the pits and holes,that grip must have 1/2 a can of filler in it if all the rest of its rings are of the same quality.
Do you plan to ever remove the plastic or is that going to be permanent ?

I like big grips and I cannot lie… those other brothers can’t deny… That when a rod comes in with an itty bitty grip… I change it!
Matt @ proof does a much better job at grips than I can with my current setup. For the price I don’t mind some filler, and I like that the grip is plastic wrapped when it arrives. Plastic is off now, it’s usually the last thing I do.

The Glass Master wrote:
Nice job on the ferrule clean up ! do they pop when you separate them?

They do pop, but I think I want to try to tighten up the lower ferrule a bit.

The Glass Master wrote:
Okay it cast a 7 weight does it cast a 5 or 6 ?

Tried a 6 wf, I felt like I was starting to push the line a bit instead of letting the rod do the work. Might be different with a double taper and bit of line out of the tip tough.

The Glass Master wrote:
As usual your thread work and finish look very nice,the blank finish looks a little thin from the pictures what did you use and how many coats ?

One coat of spar on the finished blank, one coat thinned spar two coats straight spar on the wraps, then one coat spar on the blank and wraps to blend everything together.

doug in co wrote:
Is that a late-era JW Young/Shakespeare reel ? good choice..

Shakespeare. Nice reliable reel for a good price.

archfly wrote:
That is an honorable end for the souvenir cane: cremation.

I like your re-build of the HI rod, you have given yourself a great deal of experience that will help with future rod building gigs. HI rods are not revered as classics, but many are good fishing rods. The guides do look a little sparse, is that the factory spacing? You can add a few guides in between them so that you come out with one guide for every foot + one.

HI really insulted their own work by using those ferrules - and the way they mounted them is enough to make one cry, you did a good job salvaging them just to get by. One question: I thought I saw a ghost of the inscription giving the rod's model name, in one of the pictures, can you read it?

I bet you will enjoy fishing that rod which you have brought back to fishability. I have a 9 feet HI Governor that I refinished, picked it up at the proverbial estate sale for $5 thing, it is a nice fishing rod, and I fish it at least once every year. It has caught some nice fish.

Now, back to glass!

Thanks. I learned a lot wrapping the silk, and now nylon seems like rope. I tried using a fly tying thread bobbin to hold the silk as I didn’t want to run it though a friction tensioner and end up with fuzzies, and found that I really like the control it gives me. It’s becoming my go-to technique now, I just need to find some bobbins to hold some of the larger sized thread spools.
I stuck with the factory spacing, I figured it should work. If I want a high-performance bamboo I’ll buy a blank with a better taper and work out ‘proper’ guide spacing. Same with the ferrules. They might get upgraded in the future, we’ll see how I like the rod after a day on the water.
The rod is an HI Beaverkill. I was able to save the label, but unfortunately lost the inscription in the process.

mdraft1 wrote:
The rod looks great Tom. I think the Ritz grip looks good on cane. Gives it a nice clean modern look, even thought the Ritz is far from a "modern" grip.

Thanks Matt. Appreciate your help with the components and the hex winding check. Love the feel of these grips.

Post 01 Jul 2017, 11:11 • #1039 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I'm afraid your moving the reel forward by changing the reel seat from a downlock to an uplock has changed the balance of the rod and fulcrum.
In doing so you may very well have changed the dynamics making the rod more a 7 weight.

Well I guess at least you learned a few things during your rebuild process,I'm glad I was able to help by gifting you the rod along with all the other goodies that filled the care package. ;)

Thanks for taking that Import rod blank off my hands as well.

Tight Lines And H.I. Loops
Andy M

Post 06 Jul 2017, 20:18 • #1040 
Guide
All wrapped up and ready for finishing.

Post 06 Jul 2017, 20:48 • #1041 
Glass Fanatic
I like the grip, got some sexy curves to it :)

(too many boring grips out there)

Post 07 Jul 2017, 14:09 • #1042 
Master Guide
That looks great, Tom!

Post 07 Jul 2017, 14:27 • #1043 
Glass Fanatic
Great work! +1 on the grip, the reel seat is just right, and the wraps classic. Thanks for showing!

Post 14 Jul 2017, 15:28 • #1044 
Master Guide
An Appalachian 632 on the bench, getting wrapped. More pics if I get a chance, workshop is getting messy. ;)

Post 17 Jul 2017, 12:28 • #1045 
Guide
Been spending a bit of time working on this grip/reel seat combo on a Kabuto 7033. I'll be using blued pocketed cap and ring hardware.

Post 17 Jul 2017, 20:55 • #1046 
Glass Fanatic
That's a lot of bamboo on that grip.

What finish did you use to make the colors on the grip POP out so well?

Post 18 Jul 2017, 01:32 • #1047 
Guide
I use boat varnish. A lot of coats.

Post 18 Jul 2017, 19:50 • #1048 
Guide
Looks really good Peter. I love the way that the bamboo grain pops with some coats of varnish.

Post 18 Jul 2017, 20:08 • #1049 
Glass Fanatic
Stunning!

Post 26 Jul 2017, 18:42 • #1050 
Guide
Managed to get my project all finished up.

I'm giving it to my brother-in-law tonight. His wife was recently diagnosed with cancer, and I'm hoping it can give him some stress relief. He's expressed an interest in fly fishing and has another brother-in-law who fly fishes as well. I just need to find him a reel yet, the one in the pictures is my own Pridex. Keeping my eyes open for another one, or a Medalist - either a 1492 or a 1494.

Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply