It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:02

Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 15 Jun 2017, 17:58 • #1001 
Glass Fanatic

Post 15 Jun 2017, 20:18 • #1002 
Glass Fanatic
Ah! That will do the trick. Any bleeding onto the thread when it is hit with epoxy or vanish? Thanks!

Post 15 Jun 2017, 23:38 • #1003 
Glass Fanatic
ImageImageImageImage

Post 16 Jun 2017, 08:37 • #1004 
Guide
Pro-Kote?
Flexcoat?
Duragloss?
Varnish?

[Love the picture lesson, A. I'm looking!]

Post 16 Jun 2017, 09:18 • #1005 
Guide
oldschoolcane wrote:
Tom S wrote:
To be honest still a bit lost on the ferrules. Decent ferrules get real expensive real fast.

Tom, whats the matter with the HI ferrules?

Tim

The HI ferrules are a bit on the rougher side, I think the fit could be a bit better than it is. I also think the rod had been dipped with the hardware on at some point, so the female ferrules are covered in yellowed varnish. That being said, I hit one of the male ferrules with some powdered pumice in a cloth last night and it started to polish up pretty nice. I might try to clean them up, I'm just worried that any polishing could lead to a worse fit. I know that guys have methods of tightening up ferrules, maybe I'll do some research into that before I give up on them.

Got the stripped wrapped last night. I like working with the silk, but it's got a bit of a learning curve. Pretty much went cross-eyed trying to get those trim bands on. Used Andy's Sharpie trick to re-colour the guide foot after prep.

Post 16 Jun 2017, 11:08 • #1006 
Master Guide
If the female ferrule has been dipped the inside of the ferrule could have finish in it also? The ferrules are pretty soft, its easy for them to be ruined. I have replaced several, sometimes thats the only option.

Post 17 Jun 2017, 12:14 • #1007 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
The Bamboo rod came from my bench as a gifted project,reworking or replacing the ferrules are part of the restoration project,the aspiring rodsmith will need to decide how best he can resolve the ferrule issues.
The ferrules have already been removed.
H.I. Ferrules especially on the low end models generally stink,I only have really $$$ ferrules or junk in the sizes he needs,I can't be giving expensive ferrules away and wouldn't send him junk.
Your best bet is Anglers Roost or one of the other importers.

Clod U-40 LS Supreme Light is my epoxy of choice.

Note that's a BIC Permanent marker not a Sharpie !

Didn't know Fish Hawk thread brand was around back in 1975 ???

The "Russtomod" Lami went in the mail this morning.
Go here for the finished rod pictures if you want to see how the rod finished up.
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=59794

The My Brookie 5' 1 Piece is nearly finished it will be out on the dock today I'll get some pictures up.
The FloroWuff is finished.

The Wondermutt is next up I plan to start doing the thread work soon.
The guide size and placement have been established so it's been moved to the front burner.

Started another new project during the last few days another one of my 6'8" Cummings Ultimate Replicas made on a re-tapered Jenkins 7'3" PLG platform. The blank work is done the trimming,the dressing,the painting,the nickle silver ferrule is mounted,the cork rings are glued in place.
It's off to a very good start,well worth all the extra work,time and expenses it takes to turn one of these
capable imported blanks into something sensational. :P

Tight Lines And What's On Your Bench Loops :)
Andy M

Post 17 Jun 2017, 14:16 • #1008 
Guide
The Glass Master wrote:

My apologies. Do you hold your pinky finger out while using it?

I think what I'm going to try to use the original ferrules, but install them with ferrule cement instead of epoxy. That way I can upgrade them without a lot of rework required if I decide replacement is needed after some casting. Plus it will let me feel the difference between ferrules and how they affect casting.

Post 17 Jun 2017, 14:32 • #1009 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Quote:
My apologies. Do you hold your pinky finger out while using it?

Sharpies tend to leach color with certain finishes where the BIC Marker stays put.
Hold my finger out sometimes but seldom if ever my pinky !

Why not really test your creative prowess and make your own Fiberglass Ferrules ??

Tight Lines And Twisted Loops
Andy M

Post 17 Jun 2017, 14:46 • #1010 
Guide
Thanks for the tip with the Sharpies. Not something I have experienced... yet.

Make my own fiberglass ferrules. Interesting. Got the brain working on that one now.

Post 20 Jun 2017, 10:32 • #1011 
Master Guide
H.I. Ferrules especially on the low end models generally stink,I only have really $$$ ferrules or junk in the sizes he needs,I can't be giving expensive ferrules away and wouldn't send him junk.
Andy - I've replaced HI ferrules with ferrules from another HI parts rod and most work well, this is a reasonable option when your restoring a rod you'd like to use again.

Last edited by oldschoolcane on 20 Jun 2017, 10:55, edited 2 times in total.

Post 20 Jun 2017, 10:34 • #1012 
Master Guide
The Glass Master wrote:
Hello
The Bamboo rod came from my bench as a gifted project,reworking or replacing the ferrules are part of the restoration project,the aspiring rodsmith will need to decide how best he can resolve the ferrule issues.
The ferrules have already been removed.
Your best bet is Anglers Roost or one of the other importers.

Clod U-40 LS Supreme Light is my epoxy of choice.

Didn't know Fish Hawk thread brand was around back in 1975 ???

The "Russtomod" Lami went in the mail this morning.
Go here for the finished rod pictures if you want to see how the rod finished up.
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=59794

The My Brookie 5' 1 Piece is nearly finished it will be out on the dock today I'll get some pictures up.
The FloroWuff is finished.

The Wondermutt is next up I plan to start doing the thread work soon.
The guide size and placement have been established so it's been moved to the front burner.

Started another new project during the last few days another one of my 6'8" Cummings Ultimate Replicas made on a re-tapered Jenkins 7'3" PLG platform. The blank work is done the trimming,the dressing,the painting,the nickle silver ferrule is mounted,the cork rings are glued in place.
It's off to a very good start,well worth all the extra work,time and expenses it takes to turn one of these
capable imported blanks into something sensational. :P

Tight Lines And What's On Your Bench Loops :)
Andy M

Tom - Consider Ye OLde English Fly Shop for a ferrule set, you'll need both male and female. I've had nothing but good experiences with these ferrules.

Post 23 Jun 2017, 13:25 • #1013 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Hows the ferrule selection going,have you looked at Chapman as a source ?
https://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=122
These are truly great folks to deal with,they deal in the real goods not that knock off stuff you see from the far east.
Tight Lines And Fine Quality Loops
Andy M

Post 24 Jun 2017, 20:52 • #1014 
Guide
The HI ferrules cleaned up real nice and felt pretty tight yet, so I decided to give them a try. We'll see how they are when I line the rod, but I've got nothing to loose by giving them a run. Worse comes to worse I upgrade them and have some experience on how different ferrules feel on the same rod.

Wraps are done on the rod an I'm currently finishing it. I've got one trim wrap that self-destructed and needs replacement and I'm fighting some fuzzies on one wrap. Going to have to sit down and take good look at what's going on there. Better pictures once everything is all wrapped up (pun intended)

Got a coat of spar varnish on the Proof blank this weekend, going to give it some time to harden up before wrapping. I've got some silk that I think will be a very good match to the blank colour.

Post 25 Jun 2017, 05:40 • #1015 
Glass Fanatic
Looking good on that HI resurrection!

Post 27 Jun 2017, 12:21 • #1016 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Nice to see the H.I. project is moving forward !

I've been quite busy of late myself schools out and my Grandsons have been hanging out with Grandpa at the lake.
Caught a huge Pickerel the other night on my 6'6" Phillipson spinning rod 6 lb test on a Arbogast Mud Bug.What a fight it was tons of fun.we been getting some really nice fish this season.
Got a picture just gotta figure how to get it from my phone to my photobucket.

My little 5' " 3/4 weight 1 piece My Brookie" with the Raw Strand or Non Twisted Nylon thread is finished .
The epoxy finish is a little purposely on the heavy side,this isn't anything to do with the thread,it's more of a bushwhacker rod thing,my personal choice.

Reminds me of a funny story,I made my wife a rod on a CTS McFarland Graphite blank a few years back.
It was one of my wedding gifts to her,she showed it to another rod maker friend at one of the claves, he had the nerve to tell her my epoxy was too heavy,what a dope,funny anyone else that's ever seen or cast the rod has found the rod to be amazing, most of all my wife.

Same thing I knew the rod was going to see some hard fishing,as a precaution purposely went a little heavy on the finish.
It's not always about "THE LOOK" especially on rods intended for your own or that of your family's use.

Anyhow here's "My Brookie" Raw

Haven't had the time to work on the Wondermutt,the project is patiently waiting ,the guides are all dressed and ready to go just need to finalize my thread choices and get twisting.

I'm listing some rods for sale later today hence the picture session.

Tight Lines And Still Plugging Away Loops
Andy M

Post 27 Jun 2017, 19:25 • #1017 
Guide
Recently picked up one of Mountain Brook's 4pc 3wts and playing around with components and thread.

I picked up the buckeye burl a few months ago because, well, it looked really cool. But honestly the color was a bit brighter than I expected and I've wondered when I'd get to use it. I thought maybe it would work on this yellow blank but figured I'd get some 2nd, 3rd, or more opinions. I threw in a D-2 S with Imbuya as a color comparison, that I'm saving for a lighter weight rod. Thread colors are YLI Golden Green, PacBay Old Gold, and Prowrap Copper, and are not quite as red as the pic shows. Wouldn't mind input on that either.

I'm thinking about just going with a REC plain aluminum cap/ring w/bocote, and using all chrome hardware with the gold wraps.

So... gaudy or awesome? Seems a bit of an overpowering yellow for this muted yellow blank. (and in case anyone is wondering, no the grip won't be this short...)

Post 27 Jun 2017, 19:37 • #1018 
Glass Fanatic
i think the buckeye insert and old gold thread looks nice with the blank.

Post 28 Jun 2017, 06:59 • #1019 
Glass Fanatic
No sense me stating my preference, since both look good, but I will say that putting it in outdoor dappled light--which I think is the photo site--is the way to decide. It sure looks like that is what you did. If not, put your color options in natural light and your eye will tell you. Trust it.

Post 28 Jun 2017, 08:10 • #1020 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Considering the rods a 3 weight I wouldn't add the weight of the wood insert.
I like the looks of the Buckeye Burl with the Gold Thread.
Tight Lines And Mountain Brook Loops
Andy M

Post 28 Jun 2017, 10:41 • #1021 
Guide
Andy did you mean not use either of these and just use cork, or use the burl vs the other wood?

I wasnt going to use the D2S--just included for color comparison. I've seen some nice builds that I like very much that use that buckeye seat, which is why I bought it. It's just so striking in real life that I thought it might go better on something more blingy. I think the ones I've seen it on were black or otherwise dark blanks.

Post 28 Jun 2017, 11:35 • #1022 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I meant I wouldn't add extra weight by using a wood insert on a 3 weight,I'd go with cork or a really light wood like cedar or birch if I felt I had to use some wood.

Look at the picture below of the 5' Brookie 3/4 weight I just finished it has cork and Cedar rings to keep the weight down.

I do like the look of the Burl it would go well on a 7'6" or 8' 5 Weight.

The gold thread looks like a nice compliment to the blank color.

With these "Fairy Rods" as my Dad called anything under a 5 weight I tend to like to keep the weight as low as I can at the back end.
That's just me you can do what ever feels best in your hand or looks best, whatever is most likely to make you smile.
Some recent stuff.
I literally have draws full of amazing wood reel seat inserts & the fittings to go with them,many I keep saving for the perfect project,I really love the look of a well made wood inserted reel seat on a fly rod !
However they keep hanging around because they add so much weight they throw off the swing weight or balance of the rod's I'm making.
The bottom 2 pictures are of a Lamiglas rod I rebuilt for a fella the rod had a really heavy maple wood insert originally.
Getting rid of that heavy reel seat made a big difference in how the rod handled.
Tight Lines And Just My Perspective Loops
Andy M

Post 28 Jun 2017, 12:17 • #1023 
Guide
Thanks Andy. Really appreciate the perspective. Very nice work you do. You may have seen that I even asked a question on here about reel seat weight, so it's definitely a factor in my thinking. I have done a couple in cork and I realized I really prefer the look of a nice wood seat. I put a REC CRAS wih Koa on a TFO Finesse 1wt 6' 9" and it worked great since it's only a little over .5 oz. Plus the rod is a little longer, 4pc, and I'm using a light reel. Still eyeing the CRA as an option on this.

Post 28 Jun 2017, 19:55 • #1024 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
To each your own what ever blows your skirt up and all that jazz.
You see that's the difference I'm focused on optimal performance over "The Look" as I call it.
I've seen and handled some really amazing looking rods that fish horribly.
On there other hand I've picked up rods that looked really horrible that performed amazingly.

At the last gathering I lined up an Old H.I."Utica "8' 2/1 6 weight with too few guides 6@,Gold Mylar, Bright Red size D thread with hardly any finish,black tobacco era blank,chrome plated brass ferrules,aluminum reel seat,a real classic manufactured as an affordable piece when it was made.

The rod after a few cast to loosen up and clean off some of the rust from the guides,the rod actually cast like a dream.
Even had the Stewart Reel that H.I. would have offered with the rod,spooled with a very early worn out Cortland 333 plastic #5 level line.
The rod was as joy to cast and just performed amazingly,I'd venture to say with a few more guides the rod would be in line with anything out there today.

While not a pretty as some of the more contemporary style rods on the field that day. I'd say the rod impressed everyone whom handled it, some were very surprised.
Just think how it would perform with the recommended #6 line :eek

I'm of the club that's very cautious about going after "The Look" I've found that going after a look can trip you up,focusing on optimal performance never disappoints,especially where & when it counts out on the water.

We hear lots of folks saying this or that don't make any difference or doesn't matter.
To that I Say Hog Wash,I choose to Pay Close Attention to Every Detail no matter how insignificant others may deem them.
After being at this for a few years you get to know what really matters :smokin

Again I like "The Look" of the burl and think the gold thread "Looks" nice in contrast to the blank color.

Tight Lines And Utica Loops
Andy M

Post 28 Jun 2017, 21:41 • #1025 
Guide
Question about the cork reel seats.

I've heard that over time they compress under the reel foot over time to the point where they won't hold a reel tightly anymore. Has anyone had this experience before? Or is it just an urban legend?

Working on final coats on the H-I rebuild, should have completed pictures soon. Also got the reel seat and cork glued up on the Proof Havana blank. Once again, super impressed with the quality of cork from Proof.

Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply