It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:27

Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 09 May 2018, 18:39 • #1426 
Guide
Picked up a deal on some classic twist Gudebrod. Made my crappy day much better when it showed up in the mail today.

Post 09 May 2018, 19:31 • #1427 
Glass Fanatic
Nice!

Post 09 May 2018, 21:26 • #1428 
Glass Fanatic
That would have picked up my day too Tom!

Post 11 May 2018, 10:21 • #1429 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Very nice now all you need is the Mylar to go with it :lol
The spool top row center is a very rare spool and should be saved for something very special.

Over the last month since my Strokes I've been concentrating on clearing my benches,actually gave away quite allot of my rod making materials,mostly all the stuff for my Salty Dog Work as I call it,let a bunch of salt water blanks and all the hardware,guides,thread and goodies to go with them go to a new home.
Some of the stuff came from Cape Cod Rods my good friend Walt McVety's rod business,A Great deal of really nice classic heavy threads.
The Lucky Recipient is one of the fellas that took my rod making class 3 times,He's been making mostly Salt Water Rods for the last 8 years now,always said when the time came I'd pass the torch.
Passed on about twice as much stuff as the Old Yankee dropped off on my door step 40 years ago. ;)

FYI Got my new glasses Wednesday and started work on the Herters thread work,my wife says the quality stinks,she picked the work apart,you see my work has always been flawless right from the git,part of my new learning curve is I've had to spend considerable time now with a burnishing tool and other such devices that I seldom if ever used to get things in place,Working with Mylar added to my new challenges,Maybe I should have chosen something easier to start with,I'm pretty certain when I get to doing more normal thread work things will go much smoother,I'm Hoping So Anyhow :P
For right now I'm kinda disappointed my self in my performance,All things considered however I'll just count my blessings for now that I can still tinker on my fishing poles.

Unfortunately We left off by trading insults of sorts,I apologize for my digression,I'm a little Testy of late,the seemingly tag teamed disrespectful comments got my blood boiling, I will promise that I'll continue to keep to myself my opinions about what absolute garbage I think most of the new stuff I see these days actually is, as long as the new comers show respect for the Classic Aspects Of Fiberglass Fly Rodding,Rod Making & Traditions Of Fly Fishing.

I'll share some photo's of the Herters rod work ,Someone eluded that working with Mylar was basically a simple task,straight forward,When Someone says something they have never done is straight forward that's basically a recipe for disaster.
Naturally The First Step is determining guide placement,where the guides will be mounted on the rod blank.
As I mentioned earlier Mylar must be laid out,before you apply any Mylar you must first come up with a thread design that incorporates the Mylar into it.
Wrap lengths,styles,colors,color changes,shading,accent wraps,etc.

I use a pencil or china marker to mark the blank where the Mylar will be placed,many of the old timers used a needle and scratched lines in the blank where the Thread Wraps or Mylar should start and stop.
My preference is to keep the Mylar to a Minimum as a Accent,just enough to add that Classy Classic Retro Kustom Look.
This rod the Mylar covered allot of real estate,you work with what you are given.

Wrapping over Mylar requires patience,thread reacts oddly on slippery surfaces,wrapping over Mylar is like wrapping over ice,the thread does not want to stay where you put it.
Another challenge is the Mylar likes to bulge up between the thread wraps,your wraps must lay tightly next to each other,you can not pack thread easily over Mylar either.
Basically you need to get it right the first time.

The Thread Wrap transitions from blank to Mylar and from Mylar to blank need to be handled the same way you would going from blank to guide foot,however with the guide foot you only are dealing with the tip of the guide foot,with Mylar it's the full circumference of the blank.
Often it's best to plan on a trim wrap to cover these transitions.

Mylar can be found in lots of very cool colors,I actually had to purchase Mylar for this rod ,the first time in 30 years,the stuff I had all came from Herters.
Anyhow all the colors were amazing,Reds,Yellows,Greens,Blues,Copper,Nickle,Chrome,Gold,Black,White.
Honestly I was shocked with all the possibilities all these never known to me options presented.
Ebay is loaded with the stuff.
You need to make sure what your purchasing is chemical resistant,solvent friendly,and has UV protection.

Well that about sums it up,as the project unfolds I'll add more installments.
If you have any questions about how I Apply My Mylar feel free to send me a PM.
Tight Lines And Mutually Respectful Loops
Andy M

MY Nearly Cleared Bench
The Mylar
The Lay Out
The Thread Work
The New Light Wire Guides.
Before :)

Post 11 May 2018, 11:49 • #1430 
Glass Fanatic
that little Herters rod is gonna be a hoot! i dig the mylar business -- just way way cool.

Is the mylar adhesive-backed like a roll of tape? and how do you cut and place the mylar around the blank without a seam showing?

can't wait to see more Herters Mylar Madness!

Post 11 May 2018, 12:46 • #1431 
Glass Fanatic
tried working with mylar once, didn't end well.. tricky stuff.
I do have a couple of mylar-enhanced rods, original wraps, so I'm never touching those ;-) just clean and refinish..

Post 11 May 2018, 16:00 • #1432 
Glass Fanatic
I like the "Old School" look of mylar. It adds a touch of 70s swagger. Andy those wraps are looking great!

Post 11 May 2018, 17:14 • #1433 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Thanks Fellas.
The Mylar is tricky stuff to work with no doubt.
It's worth the hassle though to get that Kool Retro Look.

Yes Pat it has a glue backing and really sticks,there is no way to avoid seams,the trick is to plan it out so the seams are hidden under a wraps ;)

If I was a young person just getting started in rod making I'd be all over the really Kool Mylar I found on the Bay.
The colors really give countless options for making rods that have some Classic Kool while using new materials.
You know New Mylar Enhanced Designs Taking advantage of materials not available back in the day,not your Grandfathers Mylar Branded Classics.
Just Saying, wonder how one of those New Wave Tooty Fruity Lime Green Blanks would look with some of that Green Mylar ? add the spool of Classic Green Twist above and wow you got a new trend setter ??? :eek
Thanks Again All For Your Kindness !!
Tight Lines Klassic Kool Fiberglass Loops
Andy M

Post 11 May 2018, 19:15 • #1434 
Glass Fanatic
The Glass Master wrote:
Just Saying, wonder how one of those New Wave Tooty Fruity Lime Green Blanks would look with some of that Green Mylar ? add the spool of Classic Green Twist above and wow you got a new trend setter ???

I think that would be awesome! I'd add some spiral wraps for good measure :-) Most would shy away from this approach. So many of the new glass rods I see are cookie-cutter builds from the same mold... It is refreshing to see something outside of the box now and then.

Post 12 May 2018, 05:45 • #1435 
Glass Fanatic
I always thought of using gold leaf to add some accent to a butt or signature wrap, just to add a touch of class. Seeing this, I think I might pick up some gold colored mylar and try it. Maybe you guys are starting a trend!

Post 12 May 2018, 07:49 • #1436 
Glass Fanatic
Tom S wrote:
Picked up a deal on some classic twist Gudebrod. Made my crappy day much better when it showed up in the mail today.

Now that’s a solid find.

Post 12 May 2018, 10:41 • #1437 
Guide
The Glass Master wrote:
Very nice now all you need is the Mylar to go with it :lol
The spool top row center is a very rare spool and should be saved for something very special.

And maybe a spiral wrap to go with the spiral thread and mylar :P . Unfortunately that spool seems to have some UV damage on at least the outer layer of thread. I might have to re-spool it to see how much usable thread I actually have there. I think this thread is pretty cool, it's to bad that there really isn't a replacement available.

The Glass Master wrote:
Unfortunately We left off by trading insults of sorts,I apologize for my digression,I'm a little Testy of late,the seemingly tag teamed disrespectful comments got my blood boiling, I will promise that I'll continue to keep to myself my opinions about what absolute garbage I think most of the new stuff I see these days actually is, as long as the new comers show respect for the Classic Aspects Of Fiberglass Fly Rodding,Rod Making & Traditions Of Fly Fishing.

No harm no foul Andy, I think we all took it in jest and no one meant any disrespect to anyone else.

That's actually one of the things that I love about the rod building scene - the variety of design expressed by different builders. From the minimalist bamboo rod with clear wraps to the offshore rod with a foot of decorative butt wrap and weaves, we can all learn tips and techniques from each other.

Post 12 May 2018, 17:28 • #1438 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
No That's A Variegated Find :lol

I hear ya Pat, Same old subject we have been talking about for years now at the gatherings, it seems to come up every time we get together,how most all the New Wave Rods basically all look the same with very few creative detours,what we have come to call "The Look" Beside the exception of wild weird colors that undoubtedly will eventually become pas-say & forgotten, not much else to write home about.
God knows they try, maybe it is time for these young rebels "To Look" for more classic influences.

It would really take a good pair of brasses though to come out with a line of rods with that much Retro Kool.
Recently saw a new line of rods on the Bay called Retro Something Or Another, other than the Retro Name Didn't see anything Retro About them ??? Guess "Retro" Sells.

Gotta say that every time I've made a brace of rods with Mylar accents they were always the first ones off the shelf,Like it or not People Dig Mylar,The last Mylar embellished rods I made were a few of the Anglers Roost Melons for the Battenkill Clave a few years back,Those rods were amazingly well received and long gone to new homes before anything else.

Take it from an old thread hoarder, with your dirty wooden spool you should find good thread soon enough to have some thread left for at least accent's,it's probably silk thread ? You can clean dirty thread I've done it many times to salvage great old stuff that was poorly stored.
Hopefully your little thread grab will get put to good use.

Quote:
No harm no foul Andy, I think we all took it in jest and no one meant any disrespect to anyone else.

That's not the way I saw it,I'm all for letting stuff go but I'm not candy coating turds or wearing any rose colored glasses either. :) My Reaction Was A Little Harsh Granted.

We have managed to keep this What's On Your Bench topic Civil for over 1400 exchanges,that's something we can all be proud of,I'll bet it's some sorta internet record,wouldn't want that spoiled over stupidity.

On My Bench Today.
We had foul weather in my neck of the woods today so I was indoors working in my little rod shop,Managed to get one of the tips on the Herters nearly finished,I'll get some pictures up as time permits.

Some Fishing News
Last week was more or less this years annual Hendrickson Hatch Week Long Fishing/Camping Trip,The First One I Missed In 52 Years,It was great hearing the reports from the guys,glad to hear the traditions are being carried on,it was great to hear everyone caught fish nearly everyday as well.

We have some plans for day trips soon.My Nurse will be getting her fishing license Monday soon after we will be getting out.

Wednesday evening last I got out for a few hours on my local small stream,2 Fish were brought to hand,both fell for a Gold Rib Hares Ear Nymph,had a few others on that got off and missed several more.Fished My Poor Mans Cummings/St Croix 6'8" 2/1 with a #4 DT Spooled on a MG3 Reel
It was all and all a good afternoon,fished the pool where I caught my first ever trout on a fly.

Worked on this post off and on all day,added some,edited some,and so on in between wrapping sessions.

Tight Lines And Classic Retro Glass Rules Loops
Andy M

Post 22 May 2018, 12:33 • #1439 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Managed to get out on the Farmington River over the last few days,We took the Gray Ghost out for it's Maiden Camping Trip.
The Lady Fisher and I both brought some very nice fish to hand on Sunday afternoon,The river was stained,the flow was good considering the recent rain and running at 48*F,Lots of Aquatic Insects Present ,The Lady Fisher was wielding her 8'9" 5 Weight Boron/Glass Composite,The dozen or so Fish Landed Fell Victim to size 20 Blue Winged Olives both Dun and Emergers.

My experiences weren't as good as the Lady Fishers, I had considerable trouble getting accustom to my new challenges,My casting was really off as was my ability to safely wade,when I finally managed to get my self into a good vantage point,after a few casts I had the worst birds nest I've seen since I was 12.

Naturally all my spare leaders were back at the Van so I had to do my best to reconstruct the leader I had.
After about an hour of leader reconstruction I got my fly over a fish and had one on briefly.
Wow what an accomplishment :|
Soon after I actually caught 3 fish one right after another or so it seemed.
I lost my fly to a forth fish and that sorta ended my lucky spell,besides my feet were so numb I figured I better get out of the water while I still could.

Found a comfortable log stream side and enjoyed watching my Amazing Wife in her full glory,it's truly an art form when an angler is at the top of Her or His game.
She was turning over 16' leaders and catching fish like nobody's business,we had several anglers in close proximity,the Lady Fisher was the only one catching.
I was grinning from ear to ear, I'm sure proud of the Accomplished Fly Fisher Lady Fisher has become.

After a time I got back in the water and nailed a few fish close to the bank, fishing down stream on my way out.
Fished my 7'6" J Kennedy Fisher 4 Weight one of my favorite rods, A Rod of my hand Made in 1972.
This was actually only the 3rd time I've fished this old favorite since replacing the Cork Grip and Reel Seat.

Getting back to the Herters Remake,I'm not having an easy time of it with the thread work due to my recent challenges.
The headaches are worse than ever since April 5th,the new glasses are little help.
The rods nagging at me just the same like an old fish wife,after working so hard to get all those undone projects completed,many that were not mine to begin with I might add,it stinks not feeling well enough to get back to this sweet project.
I'll get going soon just the same.

So it seems we have a lull in activity fellas,don't let my slow as molasses progress rub off on you.
Somebody's got to have something percolating on their benches.

Tight Lines And Whats On Your Bench Loops
Andy M
As we were breaking camp I noticed something moving across the road in the campsite,as I looked closer it was a pair of Black Bears,when I went for the camera they boogied,it was cool they were less than 100' Away.
:eek

Last edited by The Glass Master on 22 May 2018, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 May 2018, 12:41 • #1440 
Glass Fanatic
Great outing! Catching lots of fish is not a requirement. Get well, sir -- there'll be many more days.

Post 22 May 2018, 17:46 • #1441 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks I'm not throwing in the towel yet !!!
Tight Lines And Still Kicking Loops
Andy M

Post 27 Jun 2018, 20:21 • #1442 
Guide
Getting quiet around here again.

For myself, most of my 'free' time these days is going towards getting our house ready for sale. New floors, trim, paint, etc. Any time taken away from that usually ends up as fishing time, as bass season is now open up here. The upside to this whole process is that one of the criteria while looking at new houses is workshop space for me - space for a lathe and a bigger bench.

I did find a minute to take the first step on a new project - a short 6/7wt smallmouth rod. I got my hands on a NOS Wright & McGill drawn NS ferrule that I did a rough fit of tonight.

Post 28 Jun 2018, 05:55 • #1443 
Master Guide
Nice work Tom. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the blank.

I've been working on restoring a couple of South Bend bamboo rods for a friend of mine. I have them stripped down and am going pour a few coats of spar (tutorial video coming soon) in the next day or two.

Post 30 Jun 2018, 06:41 • #1444 
Glass Fanatic
Andy, glad to see you and Janet out on the water. By all accounts I'd score it a success! Your Gray Ghost looks as fine as any made by Carrie Stevens! ;) Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing your story.

Post 10 Jul 2018, 11:10 • #1445 
Master Guide
Been playing around with some Mylar on a neighbors rod I'm restoring. Trickier than you might think to get a square line. Not really a look I am fond of, but its been fun to experiment with the material.

Post 15 Jul 2018, 13:20 • #1446 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Stopped by today to read all the latest entry's,Thanks PP52 for your kindness as always.
Just got finished adding a retractable awning to the Ghost,naturally it's a salvage yard find of the $50 variety, the unit originally sold for $1295.00.oddly It even matches the Gray Color Scheme. :eek

The Wet Sink is also a current work in progress I'm still looking for a 110 Volt water heater.
Anybody got an extra thankless water heater for a camper or boat ???? they would be willing to trade for Fly Fishing Gear ,Rod Making Stuff or Tools of equal value.
SEND Me A PM to do some bartering :)

Nice to see conventional metal ferrules being utilized,they really get a bad rap,victims of marketing schemes aimed at increasing bottom lines rather than any honest advantages in my opinion.
We actually did the ferrule comparison at the Northeast Glass Clave a few years back,the weird thing was most liked how the rods with the aluminum and metal ferrules performed best.

Adding Mylar is not a simple process,working with the material requires patience.
For The True Classic Glass Enthusiast, Mylar Screams Classic Fiberglass Fly Rods Period. :P

To all the Fine Folks whom have inquired as to My Status thank you for your thoughtfulness !!,I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances.
Big hopes to be waist deep in the river for the fall fishing activities on the Housatonic and Farmington .

Tight Lines And Gray Ghost Loops
Andy M

Post 15 Jul 2018, 18:22 • #1447 
Glass Fanatic
Good to hear from you Andy! Some fall fishing on the Housatonic and Farmington would be nice.
Shiny Mylar Loops!
John

Post 15 Jul 2018, 21:19 • #1448 
Glass Fanatic
archfly wrote:
Good to hear from you Andy! Some fall fishing on the Housatonic and Farmington would be nice.
Shiny Mylar Loops!
John

yes!

Post 31 Jul 2018, 00:15 • #1449 
Master Guide
Quiet around here. I'm finally working on my PLG build, and I decided to refinish my Berkley Buccaneer 5pc pack spin/fly rod--a rod that's really grown on me over the last few months. Got the blank stripped down and varnished so far. It'll get new fly rod components. I'm also looking for another 5+ piece blank if anyone has any suggestions.

Post 01 Aug 2018, 09:00 • #1450 
Inactive
A lot of talent on here. My latest weak efforts:
A 4 piece, 8' 5 wt on a evilbay blank. First effort on a modern tip over butt rod. Walk before you run was my goal. Also, first effort without color preserver. I learned a lot about how dark tag ends show through! The fish don't mind, though.

I grabbed a 8' 6" 5 wt. from Matt. Agate stripper, also.
Using clove hitch trim bands this go round. Brilliant!
On the bench. One coat of spar to get a finished preview. Wrapping up the rod, now.
Scheming about an old blue jean and carhart combo mycarta reel seat. Making a block of it this weekend.
Stay tuned.

Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply