It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 08:18

Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 10 Aug 2017, 13:33 • #1076 
Glass Fanatic
I'm doing a 9' 8wt Rainforest II blank and decided on a dark green thread from Fish Hawk. Still wrapping so I don't have the epoxy on yet, but I think it is going to look nice.

Post 03 Sep 2017, 22:46 • #1077 
Glass Fanatic
Just started to build a Diamondback Glass 8' #4. I' was going to build either my Steffen 8' #4/5 or Paddock 8'6" #7 next, but I've had this one laying around for about three years, so I decided to build it. With my shoulder coming along very slowly after surgery, I figured I wouldn't be able to handle the 7 weight for quite a while anyway.

It is a very different taper than my other recent #4, the Orvis SFG 764-3 -- larger diameter and stiffer in the tip, and much smaller diameter at the butt; in other words, a flatter taper. It's 6" longer than the SFG, too. The combination of taper and length make me expect it to be quite a bit slower. I hope to finish in time to take it to Idaho and the Yellowstone area next month. We'll see.

(Update) Didn't make it in time for the trip, but she's almost done. Varnish over the wraps has to set for another week, and I've yet to make the inscription. Here's progress:

Stripping guide is a 9mm TiCr from Golden Witch. Wraps look blue but are actually dark gray, Pro Wrap "Storm Cloud."

There's Pro Wrap "Evergreen" trim at the writing area and ferrules. It needs sunlight to stand out.

Trim shows slightly better here.

Ready for the reel seat.

Seat glued on. It's a Pac Bay DLT-3 downlocker with Bubinga insert. Cigar handle is from Custom Fly Rod Crafters.

Thanks for looking!

Post 04 Sep 2017, 01:05 • #1078 
Master Guide
I just ordered an ARE 11' 2/3 blank. I'm looking forward to building another rod. My last was before summer sometime. Past due.

Tomah, keep us posted. I am looking forward to seeing another nice build of yours.

Post 04 Sep 2017, 01:27 • #1079 
Glass Fanatic
skunked_ wrote:
I just ordered an ARE 11' 2/3 blank. I'm looking forward to building another rod. My last was before summer sometime. Past due.

Tomah, keep us posted. I am looking forward to seeing another nice build of yours.

Ha! I just responded to your PM. Sorry I was slow, but I'm glad you pulled the trigger!

Post 04 Sep 2017, 14:16 • #1080 
Master Guide
brockton wrote:
skunked_ wrote:

Ha! I just responded to your PM. Sorry I was slow, but I'm glad you pulled the trigger!

That was a typo! I actually ordered the 10' 2/3.

Post 04 Sep 2017, 16:22 • #1081 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks, skunked_ !

Those long, light two-handers should be fun!

Post 05 Sep 2017, 09:13 • #1082 
Guide
Some great looking work here.

May I also just state that I love the fact that some of the best looking rods I've seen are being built with cardboard box rod holders and book thread tensioners. A lot of new builders think they need power wrappers and roller stands and such (which have their place), but to turn out a good looking quality rod what is really need is attention to detail and a lot of care. Just goes to prove that it's not the tools, it's the guy using the tools.

Post 05 Sep 2017, 16:03 • #1083 
Master Guide
Well said Tom. Less tools and more skill!

Post 16 Sep 2017, 21:47 • #1084 
Glass Fanatic
Tom S wrote:
Some great looking work here.

May I also just state that I love the fact that some of the best looking rods I've seen are being built with cardboard box rod holders and book thread tensioners. A lot of new builders think they need power wrappers and roller stands and such (which have their place), but to turn out a good looking quality rod what is really need is attention to detail and a lot of care. Just goes to prove that it's not the tools, it's the guy using the tools.

Thank you! Actually, I only use the cardboard box as a drying stand, and wrap using a CRB hand wrapper. I'm actually thinking of going to the book method, though, as the tensioning system I'm using is hard to control.

Post 17 Sep 2017, 10:55 • #1085 
Master Guide
Tomah wrote:

Thank you! Actually, I only use the cardboard box as a drying stand, and wrap using a CRB hand wrapper. I'm actually thinking of going to the book method, though, as the tensioning system I'm using is hard to control.

Use the same wrapper with the same issue. I no longer count on the spool of thread spinning/letting out more thread as I wrap anymore. Just doesn't work they way it should. I like the setup, though, so I wrap and then let out more thread manually by spinning the spool myself, then wrap, then spin. Not ideal, but it works.

Post 18 Sep 2017, 10:55 • #1086 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, the factory rigging only works if you are doing heavy spinning rods. Try skipping the nylon spacers entirely and rigging a washer against the nut, then the spring, then another washer. Butt the spool against the second washer then add a washer between the thread spool and the wing nut and give that a try.

The rod tip tenshioning thingy is a waste of time, it should be pointing toward the user, anyway. Instead, run the thread through the eye of the ring in front of the spool, then to the centering ring, then to the sliding ring closest to the user.

It's not perfect, but at least you can still use the trolley instead of junking the whole thing. ;D

Post 18 Sep 2017, 14:19 • #1087 
Glass Fanatic
archfly wrote:
Yes, the factory rigging only works if you are doing heavy spinning rods. Try skipping the nylon spacers entirely and rigging a washer against the nut, then the spring, then another washer. Butt the spool against the second washer then add a washer between the thread spool and the wing nut and give that a try.

The rod tip tenshioning thingy is a waste of time, it should be pointing toward the user, anyway. Instead, run the thread through the eye of the ring in front of the spool, then to the centering ring, then to the sliding ring closest to the user.

It's not perfect, but at least you can still use the trolley instead of junking the whole thing. ;D

Thanks, Archfly! I was just thinking about the thick-rod application, having exchanged some PMs with skunked_ on the subject. I actually wrapped my last rod (the Diamondback above) with the rod-tip tensioner bypassed. I traded away the ability to reverse a wrap in order to reduce tension induced by the guides.

I have an older model without the guides in front of the spool holders. That feature is an afterthought, to address an issue of thread unspooling onto the spindles, but introduces yet more friction to the system.

I'll reconfigure as you suggest and let you know how it goes.

Post 19 Sep 2017, 08:54 • #1088 
Master Guide
+1. Thanks for the tip!

Post 19 Sep 2017, 19:51 • #1089 
Glass Fanatic
A couple re-wraps and a removable rear grip for another forum member - really cool to be asked to do these! The SA was missing a guide, and both had wraps showing their age.

7ft Featherlight rewrap

SA System 7 still in progress. Trying to keep the wraps as close to the original as I can, and the removeable rear grip was a fun challenge.

Post 20 Sep 2017, 10:39 • #1090 
Glass Fanatic
Nice! The green spiral wraps are just right.

Post 21 Sep 2017, 06:31 • #1091 
Glass Fanatic
I picked up from Archfly a 7'3" PLG blank. The blank is a reddish brown that reminds me of the Phillipson Royal rods. I like the feel of this one and think it will make a nice 4 weight. I have a bronze sliding ring and pocketed butt cap reel seat that I will use over a cork insert -- undecided on thread color yet but leaning toward the golden yellow orange family.

And I am awaiting the return of a 7'6" Cortland Pro Crest. This is a funny story. Couple weeks ago, in my haste to ship, I grabbed and packed this rod instead of the 7' Pro Crest. I immediately contacted the buyer to arrange return shipment. This one will be a strip and refurb -- always fun!

After that, a Heddon #14, 8'6" with 2" ferrules, three piece bamboo. Another strip job to clean up the blank, and cork grip, and rewrap guides, and remove and remount a loose reel seat. this one will become a fisher for me.

this should take me through the winter!

Post 21 Sep 2017, 10:36 • #1092 
Master Guide
a bunch of McFarlands and my own proprietary tapers rolled by Mike. 7'7" 3wt, Deep Six Seven 6/7s, Flats Glass 8/9, 2 12wts, a 14wt and a J Green 8'3" 5wt 5wt original for a raffle to benefit the Houston Food Bank.

Post 04 Oct 2017, 20:54 • #1093 
Guide
Quiet around here these days.

I've got a Proof blank on my bench, it's been stripped and repainted, waiting for the spar on the blank to cure before starting to fit components.

I've been doing some experimenting with Threadmaster One finish. When I first tried it I was not a fan - the finish was thick, wouldn't release bubbles, would not self-level, and when a coat was to thick it would remain cloudy. I tried heating the finish a bit to reduce the viscosity, but I still found it hard to work with, once it contacted the blank and cooled down it would thicken and cause issues. I am currently trying it while thinned with alcohol, and it seems to be working. Thins out nicely so it self-levels and any bubbles can escape; dries hard, flat, clear, and thin; and as a bonus does not seem to need color preserver. I'm still playing with the amount of alcohol needed but it doesn't take much.

Post 05 Oct 2017, 12:41 • #1094 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Quiet around here these days.

Yes, it is. I especially miss posts by The Glass Master. GM, I hope you're well and fishing a lot in your semi-retirement.

I just glued the seat and handle onto a Steffen 8' 4/5 3pc. On deck is a Paddock 867-3. Looking forward to having both of these rods. In the hole: a unitary Wright & McGill 9 footer that I think will be a 7 or 8 weight and that I plan to cut in two. I have no idea what W&M blank this is, but it has a masking-tape label that says "WM1286." If anyone knows what this is, please let me know. It's dark brown woven glass that should be pretty when I wipe it with spar. First, though, I need to remove some traces of yellow paint (common in the W&M plant, I guess). I'll post some photos when I get it going.

Post 05 Oct 2017, 13:40 • #1095 
Glass Fanatic
I just finished the Featherlight and System 7 restoration attempts I mentioned above - I’ll let the owner (another FFR member) post about them if he wants, but I’m pretty happy with how they came out.

Next up is a pair of glass switches: a Seele 10’8” 8wt for my neighbor (a blank he found on eBay last spring) and a black James Green 10ft 5wt Trophy Trout scored from Marty R’s recent stock sale. Never built on a black blank before, so anybthread color suggestions are welcome. Especially I can’t search for old photobucket pics anymore!

Post 05 Oct 2017, 14:05 • #1096 
Glass Fanatic
I have an old spool of Gudebrod purple nylon that would look great over black, either color-preserved or not. Here're some pics with the brown W&M blank that I'm thinking of wrapping with this thread:

I think Pro Wrap has something very similar, as does Pac Bay.

Post 05 Oct 2017, 21:46 • #1097 
Glass Fanatic
Well, well...glad to see this thread resurface. i always enjoy seeing and learning what others are up to. tom s. i like that you like experimenting keep us posted on your threadmaster adventures. are you using DNA as thinner? i know nothing about epoxy finish. i thought most guys used acetone as thinner...

tomah, i have a spool of gudebrod purple too! could never bring myself to use it but you know i think it will look nice over black.

i gotta,get some pics of the PLG blank i'm working on. right.now i am working on the reel seat insert. my first 50-50 seat-- it's half cork & half blond maple. we'll see how she turns out soon enough, as my baseball umpiring schedule is winding down, i'll have more tinker time and time to get out fishing. next week headed out for trout not sure where yet.... have licenses in ny, ct, vt...and then to RI for stripers!

cheers all.

Last edited by picketpin52 on 10 Oct 2017, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Oct 2017, 22:15 • #1098 
Glass Fanatic
Pat - I had one of the 7'3" PLG's and it did in fact make a great 4wt. I used chocolate silk with a dark gold or chestnut trim at the ferrule. Looked nice. Roy

Post 06 Oct 2017, 06:19 • #1099 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Roy,
agree, the 73 plg will make a terrific #4. bet your chocolate silk plg is pretty. here is a pic of the seat insert i am working. shot of finished insert and hardware coming.

what's on your bench?

Post 06 Oct 2017, 08:19 • #1100 
Glass Fanatic
Lookin' good!

Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply