It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:12

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Sep 2018, 14:56 • #1 
Sport
I’m not able to find reviews/critiques, but I’m wondering how the current Perfect and Bougle reels compare to the “marks” that came before. Any opinions?

Post 20 Sep 2018, 21:16 • #2 
Piscator
of course, they're fine reels.
The finish is now anodized, and they're CNC machined.
The c. 2000 limited edition St. George I owned and fished for awhile was a jewel.
Image Image

Post 21 Sep 2018, 06:59 • #3 
Sport
Thanks for the reply. The George's are beautiful reels, and your well-photographed reel is immaculate. The marketing boys will probably fire up the machinery at some point and bring them back to us. But when they do, my willingness to buy one, or a current Bougle or Perfect, has been clouded by Pure's influence. Marketing the reels through Bass Pro, Amazon and Cabelas is one thing, maybe a good thing, and bringing enough of the production process back to the UK to justify the "made in England" logo is definitely a good thing from a marketing point of view, but I'm suspicious about quality controls and what's actually in the box after all the disruptions that have occurred in the past few years. I can tell that they're making the traditional UK reels look very nice, but are the higher end bearing reels still 100-year fishers? Is it just too early to tell?

Post 21 Sep 2018, 07:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have a couple of Korea-built Hardys. If quality of machining, fit, and finish are any indication, these reels will last for a very long time indeed. Of course, I can't see into the alloys, their heat treatment, etc. etc., but these reels just scream (sorry) quality. Same with the British-made Duchess I recently bought.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 08:03 • #5 
Piscator
In the case of pure fishing, the messenger does need to be shot.
But even Korean Hardys are quality, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 09:28 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
As manufacturing tech improves, quality improves (machining, coatings, materials). Hardy is no exception.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 17:58 • #7 
Sport
Underlying current here seems to be S Korea is somewhat suspect when it comes to manufacturing high quality products, you couldnt be more mistaken. South Korea is one of the most technological advanced nations in the world, in many ways far ahead of the US.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 18:47 • #8 
Piscator
nothing like that was implied, though be careful of knock-offs from Seoul street merchants.
The trend to offshore manufacturing has other implications, most related to global pollution.

New Topic Add Reply