It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:30

New Topic Add Reply
Reel Seat Help
Post 13 Sep 2018, 15:43 • #1 
Guide
Hi All....need some guidance. I have a rod that has a tiny reel seat. When I say "tiny" I mean it does not hold a thick reel foot. Pflueger Medalists are out of the question, so is the Gem and just about every other reel I have. It will hold a Martin 61 Tuna Can perfectly, problem is I am not a big fan of that reel. The rings fit the Tuna Can like a glove. Maybe I should just learn to love the reel....?

Can you recommend something else that has a thin foot that holds a 5-6 WFF line?

Thanks for your help.

Doug

Re: Reel Seat Help
Post 13 Sep 2018, 16:48 • #2 
Piscator
The alloy foot on a pre-patent Pflueger Medalist 1494, or a Classic One Pfoot on a later 1494.
Same with Pflueger Gem
Image Image

Martin alloy foot on LM45 LM56

how about the Martin alloy foot on 67N or MG-7?

Hardy Hydra

The thinnest foot I know is a Pflueger Progress, same foot shown here on a 4Bros Delite, but would have to find an 80-yd or hen's tooth 100-yd reel to fit the line.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 13 Sep 2018, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Sep 2018, 17:29 • #3 
Guide
Wow! Thanks Bulldog. Looks like I have a bunch of choices.

Post 13 Sep 2018, 18:20 • #4 
Piscator
you're welcome

Post 13 Sep 2018, 19:31 • #5 
Master Guide
You could always switch out the reel seat to a larger one.

Post 13 Sep 2018, 20:07 • #6 
Guide
I thought about swapping out the reel seat, but would prefer to leave things "as is" if at all possible. Bulldog gave me enough reel options to choose from. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Post 13 Sep 2018, 23:25 • #7 
Piscator
My '92 Ross Gunnison came with a foot too thin to work on the Pac-Bay uplocking ring on my Fisher Sterling rod I bought it for.
Ross provided a thicker foot gratis, and I believe they later went to the thicker foot on the reel.
(thin foot is in the bag)

Post 14 Sep 2018, 11:40 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Doug:

If you don't have one already, you may want to invest in a dial caliper to measure that Martin 61 foot so you can do some reel foot thickness comparisons. It would be a lot easier than trial & error if you knew how thick the Martin foot was. Once you did that, some of us so inclined could measure stuff we think could work as comparison.

I’ve measured reel feet many times when buying a custom rod with a custom seat insert after getting a few that were a bit too tight for my preferred reel choice. I measure the foot thickness at the very end of the foot with a dial caliper and back from the tip about 3/8” -1/2” as a reference for the builder.

The dial caliper will come in handy for other uses too so it won’t be a waste of money and these days you can get an one good enough for your purposes, cheap.

If you take my suggestion, I'd be more than happy to measure a stock One Pfoot Medalist replacement foot I have and anything else that I think might work for you and post the results.

It may even be a decent topic for a sticky.

Good luck in your search regardless!

Post 14 Sep 2018, 12:43 • #9 
Piscator
the reason I mentioned the Classic One Pfoot is their black anodized replacement feet are notably thinner than the bright ones.

Post 14 Sep 2018, 14:44 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
A quick measurement reveals the following regarding the thickness of these feet measured at the very end of the foot from the INSIDE the curve to the outside of the curve:

Original 1950’s version Medalist 1494 foot - .032”

OnePfoot Original replacement Medalist 1494 foot (Silver) - .044”

OnePfoot Original replacement Medalist 1494 foot (Black) - .044”

The thickness further up the foot about where it would bottom out in a reel seat hood is a little trickier to measure, but in all of my attempts to measure that, the original Medalist foot is thinner or should I say, less thick with a shallower rise.

I don't know if it matters but both of the OnePfoot feet I measured were bought directly from Bill Franke and while I assume the Dan Hill versions are identical, I can't be sure because I don't own any.

Unless I am missing something, if the reelseat in question won’t accept a standard Medalist foot as per Doug’s original comments, it probably won’t accept either of the OnePfoot replacements.

I don’t own a Martin 61 to measure but it would be interesting to see how it measures up.

Post 14 Sep 2018, 15:05 • #11 
Piscator
there are other factors than thickness, width, radius of the concave along the foot, and of course ramp of the foot thickness on top.
The Classic One Pfoot Bill made is thinner than the bright-finish One Pfoot.
Same applies to the Young Pfeet Bill made - the black anodized were thinner and the brass was thickest.

Post 14 Sep 2018, 15:38 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
The Pfeet I measured were the Classic (non bright) and the black version of the same.

Isn't the foot on a Martin 61 almost flat with little or almost no rise?

If so that may be the problem, there is literally no room under the rings on Doug's reelseat to accommodate anything that rises more than a few thousandths of an inch.

Post 14 Sep 2018, 17:03 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I would have (without thinking about it overlong) probably "modified" a 1494 factory foot; is that a bad approach?

Post 14 Sep 2018, 19:21 • #14 
Piscator
every reel I posted will fit a slimmer reel seat band than this will

but you can certainly see how this foot is much more like a Pflueger Progress foot.

Here's a One Pfoot, Bill made spacers for me to fit an M-68 - the centers are the same as Medalist.
fwiw, Bill always used me to test all his products, especially when he was introducing something new, and any parts I bought from him were wholesale.
The Young Pfoot series was my idea.
The black anodized feet are the thinnest Bill made.

you can also see how the One Pfoot will go places the steel Martin foot won't go

Post 15 Sep 2018, 06:19 • #15 
Piscator
Trev wrote:
I would have (without thinking about it overlong) probably "modified" a 1494 factory foot; is that a bad approach?

I don't think it's possible - you have to get through hard chrome - oxy acetylene torch, dynamite?
If you muck with one of the c. 1930 Medalist alloy feet that Bill copied in the One Pfoot, you'll have years of shame and degradation.
Finding these reels with the alloy foot not broken is a reel collector's coup.

The Pflueger foot is the most modifiable foot of all time - each tab bends separately and it's nickel-plated brass - no grinding required, just bend it. Make your own ramp.
4Bros Seminole

Same idea on Meisselbach Featherlight

Post 15 Sep 2018, 13:36 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't tried it, yet, but the foot I had break on the 1498DA wasn't very hard metal.
I have a few grinders, a lot of files and an oxy-acetylene torch. I'd not be cutting on one of those collectors but there are scads of cheap Japan and China Medalist out there to cannibalize. I think some of them had plastic feet that should interchange.

Post 15 Sep 2018, 13:48 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
When a reel seat is so finicky it only suits one certain reel or foot, it's a no brainer to me. Change the reel seat. With a new seat, you can still use that one thin, contoured just-so reel, possibly with a non permanent shim ( cork, leather, neoprene, moleskin, etc.) but now the rod becomes more useful because you can select a reel for the day based on the line installed on it.. Very curious what type of seat is on there now that so restricts the choices.

Post 15 Sep 2018, 15:23 • #18 
Piscator
Trev, it's brass inside, but it's chrome on top. Altering things by grinder is dumb.
If you can swap out the foot without destroying anything, fine.
But taking tools to put a square peg in a round hole is beyond stubborn.

Pick a different reel or different rod, it's not like all of us don't have more than one each.

1917 Hardy St. George with a 2-7/8" alloy foot, have your friend make you a rod for it.

Post 15 Sep 2018, 21:59 • #19 
Guide
Hi Bamboozle and Bulldog- I appreciate your responses very much. I will invest in a dial caliper....great idea. Bulldog is also right in that I think the arc/shape of the foot is also a factor. Only one way to find out! I will run to the store and get a caliper tomorrow. More from me soon.

Thanks,

Doug

New Topic Add Reply