It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:53

New Topic Add Reply
Uniquas?
Post 30 May 2018, 18:59 • #1 
Sport
I know they aren’t top of the line reels, but I like and collect Hardy Uniquas. Are there any other Uniqua fans out there?

Re: Uniquas?
Post 30 May 2018, 19:51 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I love the old Uniquas. Especially the ones with the little telephone spool latch. those are just great. I don't own any but one day I'd like to. I really like that style of reel in general. Tiemco makes a modern version that looks quite similar to the Hardy Uniquas.

Post 30 May 2018, 20:16 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I only have one, a 3 1/8" telephone latch, but it is a VERY classic Hardy reel, and very high quality for its lower price point compared to the St. George and Perfect reels. I think everyone should own at least one old pre-WWII Hardy, regardless of model. Epitomises the saying, "they don't make'em like they used to"!

Post 31 May 2018, 04:49 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Count me in. I've had about a half dozen over the years and they're my favorite of all the pre-WWII Hardy reels. Heavy enough to balance glass and cane, built like a tank, classic looks, still operates flawlessly after 100 years. Also, they can be switched to LHW fairly easily. Here's one, a 2 7/8" if I remember right, on a Granger cane rod in RMNP.

And here's the only one I have left. I picked it up maybe 10 years ago heavily discounted because a previous owner had painted it, another previous owner had removed the paint and all the leading. It's an early 3 1/8" and I kind of like it even though the collector value is shot. I've waxed it to preserve the aluminum and I fish it on my Steffen 8'6" 5/6.

Post 31 May 2018, 05:21 • #5 
Piscator
pretty neat reel. - fairly sure ivorine grasp wasn't used by Hardy after 1923

Post 31 May 2018, 09:00 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have one, a 3-1/8" I bought from Hoagy Carmichael in the 1980's after complaining to him about the "modern" offerings crossing the $100 mark. I think I gave him $80 for it. It has a brass ribbed foot, "telephone latch" and 90% of the leading.

I used it for years on a Leonard 38H. It now sits in a display case with the rest of my retired reel collection.

I have always had a soft spot for Uniquas and are always on the lookout for nice examples. I was really disappointed Hardy never reintroduced them when they were cranking out the "classic series".

Post 31 May 2018, 16:01 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
that's a beautiful reel TipTop

Post 31 May 2018, 18:52 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, even with the leading missing its classic lines are attractive. Another thing I like about Uniquas is their simplicity and ease of spool removal. And the click/pawl has a moderate sound unlike some reels of this vintage which are louder. I like the Hardy Lightweight LRH and Featherweight for a lot of the same reasons.

Post 01 Jun 2018, 06:52 • #9 
Piscator
It's Hardy's pawl shape that gives them their modest sound with positive drag effect.
This is why I've always swapped for Hardy pawls in the Olympic-Seiko clones and CAPs reels - any place a Hardy pawl will fit, it improves function.
The wartime JW Young reels that replaced the brass spring stanchion with a rivet and washer to extend their parts inventory were also delivered with Hardy pawls, and these reels stand out.
Image Image
Image Image
note if you find them, they can also be converted to LHW

Post 15 Jun 2018, 15:14 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Isn't there a whole thread strictly related to Uniqua's on the Classic Fly Rod Forum ?

Oh yeah... here it is : http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 72&t=57253

Post 24 Jun 2018, 21:41 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I don't have any of them ... but I sure do like them !

Pecos

New Topic Add Reply