It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:55

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 May 2018, 14:52 • #1 
Master Guide
Anybody know what size the pillar screws are on an MG-7? I need to replace a few on a reel and would like to just replace them all with new.

THx,

Ralph

Post 06 May 2018, 17:03 • #2 
Piscator
Didn't pull one out of my MM-11, but head size matches 4-40 (definitely not 5-40). 3-48 looks way too small.

Easy enough to take one to a hardware store to match it up.

Post 07 May 2018, 06:34 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I was thinking 4-40 also, but if you go to a hardware store with machine screw parts, they will have a thread gauge or you can match it up by eye.

Post 21 May 2018, 10:40 • #4 
Guide
Wondering if you found the right size screws. I have some spare Martin screws from a recent reel project if interested.

Post 24 May 2018, 12:28 • #5 
Master Guide
No I did not. Would love them if in decent shape.

Thx

Post 25 May 2018, 07:01 • #6 
Guide
The screws are in good condition, PM or E-mail me with your info and I'll send them to you.

Post 26 May 2018, 15:54 • #7 
Master Guide
CJ,
Thx much! PM sent.

Post 09 Jun 2018, 07:56 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks to the OP, who followed through on this "thread." Following Bulldog's suggestion, the link below describes the outcome, so that we have it available in origin thread.

viewtopic.php?p=323674#p323674

I'll just add that hardware stores often have small machine parts in common standard forms, so screws of this spec could be purchased in smaller quantities.

As a historical point if I remember correctly, Martin's fly reel manufacturing was part of a much larger production range in Utica, N.Y. that included volume supply of a range of standard machine parts.

The OP probably knows this, but for others who might be replacing a screw or reassembling a pillar and plate reel, Pfluegers and Martins being the classics of industrial chic design and manufacture.

Use the mild form, tool-release Loctite or a home handyhack: "nylock" substitutes such as a shred of
plastic wrap or a piece of fine tippet material; or a drop of nailpolish on the threads.

Assemble the reel with all screws just shy of snug. Then use an approximate crisscross pattern, both side to side and clockface position, to snug the screws sequentially. Do this in increments, maybe two or three passes around the reel, until each screw is snug and won't tighten further without excessive force. If all are snugged down in this pattern, only comfortable tightening within the limits of a small, well-fitting screwdriver (ideally, a gunsmithing type) is needed. No mangled slots or cratches from slipping. Small screw drivers have small grips for a reason. If using a screwdriver with a full size grip, avoid driving that little 3-48 like it is a large self-tapping wood screw going into a piece of oak.

Post 09 Jun 2018, 09:00 • #9 
Guide
Another update on the Martin pillar screws. The 1/4" length should be OK to use on both sides of the reel, and probably better. I think I had one pillar on an Orvis 1915 that must have had a burr in the threading that would not allow a 1/4" length screw to seat all the way. Tried another day and the 1/4" screw went in just fine. As to the foot and latch cover, McMaster Carr does not have an oval head screw in 3-48. They do have slotted flat heads in 3-48, 18-8 stainless, but starting at 1/4" lengths. Might be a tad long for the foot, I'll have to pull one and find out. Stay tuned for another (riveting?, I think not!) update on this subject. Hopefully, I've posted this in the correct thread this time.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 07:37 • #10 
Guide
The final information on Martin screws. I received a box of 3-48 flat head screws (1/4" length) from McMaster Carr and found they will work just fine on the foot of the MG series reels. Length is just about perfect. They will just about fit flush on the latch cover but really need just a little work with a counter sink to be really flush. I have not tried this yet but should be possible with a delicate touch and probably a hand counter sink. These screws from McMaster Carr have slightly larger heads than the original Martin screws which is not a problem on the MG series foot but is not a good match on the 67A/67SS foot. I have somewhat flattened these feet on some of my reels to fit better on certain reel seats and the oval head screws can be a problem. If too flat the original oval head screws will bite into the seat insert and a flat head screw would work better. This will require countersinking the holes in the foot to accept the larger screw head. Should be pretty straight forward. I think this is about all I can pass on about Martin screws.

New Topic Add Reply