It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:50

New Topic Add Reply
Bill Balan reel question
Post 25 Nov 2017, 13:28 • #1 
Hello, first I want to talk you for adding me to this great forum group.
The reason I found this group is that there is wealth of information on classic style fly reels and more.

I have older fly reel made by Bill Ballan in Florida and was using is for several seasons on my home river Bitterroot river in Montana.
One day I hooked in to nice fish and after several hard runs my reel just went loose both ways , started freereeling with no tension at all, I did loose that beautiful wild rainbow that day !
When taking apart later at home when I pull the rear plate out paw and rivet just flew our loose.
So now I have problem trying to put it all together , what I am thinking is that parts ( spring just flew out of its setting.
After looking for Mr: Ballan online with out any luck ( not sure if he is still alive ? )
I looked all over for any schematic paper work which would show me the order of this paw / click brake to put it all back together.
Is any one on this forum have and rebuild or serviced this reel.
I would greatly apriviate help. I love this reel and is been collecting dust for good 2 seasons now.

BTW, I don’t see any whey to attached images of my reel , I might be looking wrong here.
Thanks ,
Les,
Montana

Post 25 Nov 2017, 14:53 • #2 
Inactive
Thought about buying one of his many times. They are beautiful reels.
Still I hear many bad things on customer service to defective reels.

My advice is buy something else. I know it's not what you want to hear but its the only advice I have for you

Post 25 Nov 2017, 15:15 • #3 
Guide
Hi Les,

Welcome to the Forum. Try Bill Archuleta at www.archuletasreelworks.com. He's done lots of work for me and never disappointed.

Tom

Post 26 Nov 2017, 12:39 • #4 
Yes,
They are nice reels, problem is it was made by single man and aperently he is out of business so you have no choice and you never know , we all getting old haha!

Post 26 Nov 2017, 12:42 • #5 
Good idea, I have heard of this reel service .
Thank you,

Post 29 Nov 2017, 13:50 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Ballan has several reels listed on eBay right now. Just do an eBay search for ballan reel and his listings will pop-up. His seller name is balla.bil. You can contact him through his eBay listings. Don't have slightest idea if he will repair your reel, but you can contact him and find out.

Barry

New Topic Add Reply