It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:03

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Nov 2017, 16:56 • #1 
Inactive
The stuff you can accumulate and forget about over the years can be mind boggling.

The other day while digging through all my old stuff, I can across a tupaware container that has a vintage fly reel in it. I remember buying it at a flea market 15 years ago for 15 bucks. The reel itself is in great shape and works. However it is completely void of paint. I think someone stripped it down to restore it.

Come to find out it's a rare and scarce fly reel. A Shakespeare Burdick 1886 model HF. I I'm currently in process of doing a 75 percent restoration in it.

Beautiful reel. Bet it will look sweet on my Cummings rods.

Last edited by Theyellowfenwick on 20 Nov 2017, 23:59, edited 3 times in total.

Post 20 Nov 2017, 17:01 • #2 
Piscator
1935 to the war, and a rare find. Not a great reel, but wins in the looks department, and you won't find a cooler reel.
It's also light enough for your Cummings rod.
Now that you brought it up, photos are required.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 20 Nov 2017, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post 20 Nov 2017, 17:02 • #3 
Inactive
Will do once it's done.

It is a pretty reel no doubt.

Post 20 Nov 2017, 18:29 • #4 
Inactive
After I completely cleaned it with qtips and acetone, I wiped it down with a lint free cloth. I then masked off everything with masking tape that I didn't want painted. I used a dentist pick to get really good detail here.
Then a really light qtip /acetone cleaning to remove finger oils. I used gloves but What the hey.

Tonight it got another light cleaning and then primered and painted. I used flat black. It looks great so far. I am giving it a 2-3 day cure then I will demask. Look it over and remask if I need to touch up any areas with a quick spray after the full 7 day cure.

I'll post picks with it on a cummings in action when complete. I'm excited about this reel. Really beautiful piece.

Post 20 Nov 2017, 19:08 • #5 
Piscator
it's something to be proud of

Post 21 Nov 2017, 00:06 • #6 
Inactive
I usually don't like to show my work before its done but your interest made me demask and lightly assemble for some photos. There are some slight imperfections as you can see but ill remask and a few light coats will fix all that. I'm also considering a light clear coat for protection too.

Normally like bulldog I'am not for painting vintage reels. You really got to know what you are doing and most people are better off just leaving it alone. I worked in metallurgy and paint for years. I refreshed up on some reading before I started. One of my main things I m a stickler about is multiple multiple very light coats, every 10 mins up to 1 hour. Then you have to wait one week. This reel actually has 5 coats of primer and 5 coats of paint.

Hope you enjoy the pics! I'm happy with the round 1, round 2 will fix her completely.
Very pretty reel.

The reel earned its wear but I felt like this beauty deserved to come back to life. Ill post more pics later when complete.

Post 21 Nov 2017, 00:09 • #7 
Piscator
very nice - looking forward to photos with the rod

Post 21 Nov 2017, 06:41 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Years ago we had a good discussion about restoring/refinishing reels--the whole bit: if it should be done (up to the owner), how, and so on. That evolved into a good-natured "contest" and photo display of various projects like yours, which would have been a "winner" then and is now.

Oddly, right around then I had one, with at least one dollar into it, including cleaning supplies. I thought of it as a nifty curio for multiple reasons such as those winding knobs. I didn't want to use it, not out of fear of damage, but because I found the gap between the external winding crank and the spool to be a potential snagging source--which it wouldn't be in many uses or in different hands. I sold it on Ebay with a darn good photo display (yours are even better), and roughly as I recall, my "investment" increased about 40 or 50-fold.

Great fun to see one in the hands of someone who will enjoy it. Thanks for showing.

Post 21 Nov 2017, 07:10 • #9 
Piscator
I painted one spool myself, a postwar Heddon 125. I used Krylon BBQ grill paint which was pretty tenacious on the aluminum.
Wayne had good results on a prewar duralumin Young.

The nature of AA2xxx aircraft alloys makes it almost impossible to get anything to stick to them, and you should probably leave your vintage Medalist the way you find it.
I hope this thing is on.

Everyone's reel is theirs - they bought it - and do with it what they choose, but learning from other's mistakes rather than duplicating them is divine.

To me, the biggest problem with refinishing is the risk of destroying something nice, which has happened on all these forums with results like a mottled blue St. George or Perfect from tinkering with commercial aluminum blackeners. After getting the specific warning in a forum discussion, there's something profane about following through and destroying the reel. Coaches that cheer you on have nothing to lose.
If one is such a perfectionist they need their vintage reel to look new, then they should buy a new reel.

Image Image This is a $500 reel left this way.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 21 Nov 2017, 09:18, edited 2 times in total.

Post 21 Nov 2017, 08:28 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
OK, I'm in awe. That paint job looks fantastic. It looks like those chrome line guards are riveted on, meaning the effort to mask that off was not insignificant. I would say it is beyond my capabilities, but that is such an understatement.

Post 21 Nov 2017, 08:39 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Well done!

Post 21 Nov 2017, 08:56 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
nice work. looks great. a clearcoat finish sounds like a good idea, if you are going to fish the reel. what would you use as a clearcoat?

Post 21 Nov 2017, 16:49 • #13 
Inactive
Well whom ever owned this reel prior to me really left me with little risk in a restoration. There was only metal to preserve and if the paint didn't work out, just strip it back down.

Like I said normally I wouldn't do this but I think with all to gain an nothing to risk, it was a good choice. Especially since it's turning out well.

Funny side note, I squabbled with the flea market guy every Friday for 4 weeks until he took my offer of 15 bucks.
20 I felt was too much :lol
As far as clear coat, I'm not sure yet but I'll post it when I share more

Post 21 Nov 2017, 17:10 • #14 
Inactive
Actually bulldog now that I think about it, I'm almost 100 percent certain this was a failed restoration that was stripped down.

I say this because the metal in the back of the reel is stained. Meaning several acetone wipes and qtips could not remove what appeared to be a large dark stain that covered 70 percent of the reel back. It had the appearance like paint film was there but nothing was. Knowing metal and I even thought it looked chemical dyed or scortched for a better term. While not bad the reel metal was slightly rough but was not noticeable to the eye.

I could paint a soda can and get it to stick if you let me prep it my way. It takes time and it's tedious. You have to know what chemicals to use and NOT use, what paints etc... but it's possible but not recommended. If my thought is correct this proves why MOST reels are better left alone.

I think i made it respectable though.

Post 21 Nov 2017, 17:31 • #15 
Piscator
that makes total sense - I've seen more than a couple of reels that were badly painted.
I definitely wasn't protesting what you did here, it looks nice. There are just way too many variables in vintage alloy reels to expect them to all behave the same, and most of what I've seen people wanting to refinish were just fine to fish as they were.
It kills me when someone wants to paint an early arsenic-bronzed Medalist. No matter what they look like, the finish feels so silky nice.

Post 21 Nov 2017, 17:59 • #16 
Inactive
Got ya. I know I've seen a few nice reels like you describe go down to tube and it is frustrating. My advice to anyone is leave it be or pay a professional. Chances are it will be worse than before no doubt.

All that aside, I wish they would have kept this concept goingwith design upgrades. I think this reel could have been a real flagship model in the fly industry for Shakespeare. Why did they ever end it?. Aesthetically it's a perfect reel.

Post 21 Nov 2017, 18:07 • #17 
Inactive
It makes me laugh. I look at that thing and I feel like I own an old peerless that is worth thousands.

But it's just a fancy :lol tuna can.
To me, and after having it forever, that makes it just as valuable

Post 21 Nov 2017, 18:37 • #18 
Piscator
the earliest Martin tuna can did copy it.

Search threads started by middlemac on this forum page

ok, not quite, it was very close to the dual-knob Martin No. 11, which didn't have the bend handle, just the two knobs on the spool face
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13236&hilit=martin

Post 21 Nov 2017, 18:41 • #19 
Inactive
Nice thanks!

Post 22 Nov 2017, 10:15 • #20 
Sport
Great looking reel. I have wanted one of those for a while.

Post 23 Nov 2017, 08:49 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Theyellowfenwick wrote:
I'm happy with the round 1, round 2 will fix her completely.

She looks great already. Very nice job! $15 (plus your time of course) very well spent.

Post 23 Nov 2017, 13:24 • #22 
Inactive
I appreciate that. This is only the second reel I have restored. So I feel good with how it came out. Perhaps you guys are right and I should just clear coat her now and fish it. Lord knows I certainly don't mind a few blemishes on a reel.

I'd like to add that it is this board that really inspired me to give this ago. I'm not a rod builder but guys on this forum are amazing tackle tinkerers. I often check out the what's on your bench thread with great interest.
I find some of you to be the best at your crafts. Glad I could contribute this time a little

Happy turkey day everyone.

Post 23 Nov 2017, 15:40 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Great restoration job.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 18:01 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
thanks for posting this.i have a martin no 7 that i got at the flea for 50 cents forgot about till BD linked to that older thread..rusty and pretty locked up .being that it is steel i think i can give it a repaint.did this with old tinplate lionel trains.same basic metal.the guys on the train forums suggested painting with enamel spray paint in several light coats.then placing in the oven at 160 for a couple hours.it worked great.the finish held up well as my grandkids ran this heavy old train off the rails many times.might have to remove the handle if i bake it.first i have to find it

Post 26 Nov 2017, 18:58 • #25 
Inactive
Nice!

If I was you, I would use a mineral oil light scub to remove any rust. But only after cleaning it very very well.
You chose a good paint. I would get the matching primer.I don't bake but do a 7 day cure.

When I spray I stand back almost twice the recommended amount. I still feel using a light coat, then dry 10 mins, then spray again, etc... is key.

Good luck! If you do it, let us see it. the great thing about a project like yours is, you have nothing to lose.

If it needs a part or 2 to get it working internally, if consider it for that reel.

I get to finish my project this week.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply