It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:01

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Nov 2017, 12:15 • #1 
Guide
I recently picked up a South Bend 1155 reel; man, this thing is a beast! Just looking for any available info about it; who made it, anything special about the dual drag, etc. A fella on anglers on line line said he's never had a rod heavy enough to balance it, but I just may have: a 9' South Bend #76 that is a real hog in itself! Even my Medalist 1498 and 8wt line doesn't do it.

I have found that it cannot be changed to LHW so it'll be my only RHW reel (not counting my Medalist 1492).

Anyway, here it is alongside a South Bend 1122; any info or experiences appreciated...

Post 20 Nov 2017, 14:47 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
No info, but looking at the drag plate gives me the impression it the same as a Medalist. If so, it might be changed to LHW with a onepfoot drag plate replacement - mere speculation on my part though

Post 20 Nov 2017, 16:38 • #3 
Piscator
The SB Finalist was copied after the Medalist patent drag. If you want the year, add 22 years (18 years plus 4-year war extension) to 1938 - bingo, 1960. They gave it two brake shoes instead of just one, though I doubt if that made a difference on anything short of stopping UPS trucks.
I raised the date question on ORCA, and if I get good info there, will copy it here.

If you happen to have a SB rod in the same traditional SB color, can't beat the match.
Image Image
ok, not quite the same reel, this is the SB 1185 perfect clone, only made in 1935 - I bet Hardy protested this one.
Image Image
like a Hardy perfect, this red-anodized reel and its black-anodized Shakespeare twin, the 1900 Steelhead & Trout model HF, had an exposed spool back plate for finger-and-thumb drag.
The reels were re-introduced one year later (Model HE) with a back plate covering the spool, and a panic-button felt drag. The reel was not made again after the war.

And as I opened this, I believe your SB Finalist was introduced in 1960 with the expiration of the Medalist drag patent (if it was introduced before that, litigious Pflueger would have taken them to court and won). If I hear more, will post again...

Post 20 Nov 2017, 17:28 • #4 
Guide
Thanks for the info bulldog! I do have a South Bend of the proper color but this is way too much reel for my little 7-1/2' #290. John, I thought the same thing but the lever you see directly across from the drag adjustment screw rides against jags that are a part of the drag plate; ergo it can't be flipped over like the Medalists can.

Post 20 Nov 2017, 17:37 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Ah ha, I see that is how it would work now. I've never held one, but seems like it might be a very strong drag?

Post 21 Nov 2017, 07:14 • #6 
Piscator
What it is John, is a heavy drag mechanism with little advantage over the Medalist.
I've never seen a patent drag Medalist with insufficient drag, but I guess I've never considered taking one after bonito.

Post 21 Nov 2017, 08:30 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
But it might balance out a nice 9' vintage glass rod. Or that 9' SouthBend bamboo.

Post 21 Nov 2017, 09:12 • #8 
Piscator
that's not a but, it's an and

Post 22 Nov 2017, 21:14 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The later South Bend reels of this style had a blue nylon drag plate that could be changed to left hand wind.The small spring on the ratchet could be reversed.The metal drag plates couldnt be reversed.

New Topic Add Reply